ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: How do I find cemetary?  (läst 401 gånger)

2001-02-03, 06:48
läst 401 gånger

Stephanie Johnson

How would I go about trying to figure out where known ancestors are buried?  At some point, I'd like to visit Sweden, and it nice to visit their final resting place.  I'd appreciate any help.

Stephanie

2001-02-03, 15:42
Svar #1

Utloggad Jens Arvidsson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 173
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-10-27, 09:36
    • Visa profil
Stephanie, you have to find out which parish they died in. In Sweden parish generally refers to a geographical location, and the cemetary is usually situated by the parish church.

2001-02-03, 18:28
Svar #2

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Stephanie, you must also be prepared to find that the graves of your ancestors are no longer there. In many parishes, if there is nobody in the parish interested to pay for the upkeep, the parish authorities might recycle a grave, that nobody  has cared for during decades.

2001-02-03, 23:51
Svar #3

Stephanie Johnson

I realize the graves might not still exist, I've encountered that in the USA with some ancestors.  Would it be best to contact the parish to see if the graves are still there?  Would it be possible to make the request in English?  While I understand some Swedish words, I don't know the grammer, and would be unable to write an understandable letter.

2001-02-04, 10:26
Svar #4

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Hi Stephanie,

The Swedish Federation of Genealogical Societies (Sveriges Släktforskarförbund), who is the owner of Anbytarforum (this site) does have an ongoing project of transcribing all tombstones before 1900.

Parts of the results of this project can be found at http://www.genealogi.se/gravsten/index.htm

Unfortunately most of the text is in Swedish, but it is possible to check lists of tombstones, arranged by län (county). Also the original transcriptions are kept in our office in Stockholm, so an e-mail to genealog@genealogi.se, with details on who you are looking for, might give some info. We have some 30.000 tombstones in our database.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna