ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Gothenburg port or Göteborg?  (läst 453 gånger)

2000-11-25, 05:56
läst 453 gånger

Joyce Todd

Need to know which (or what) is the correct spelling for the port, and is it different than the county?

2000-11-25, 08:12
Svar #1

Mikael Uhlin

The correct Swedish spelling of the town, port and county is Göteborg. Gothenburg is the English version of the name.

2000-11-25, 08:12
Svar #2

Björn-Åke Petersson (Kallinge)

Gothenburg is the english or american way of spelling the name. Göteborg is the swedish name. The town of Göteborg was founded in 1623 by merchants imported from the Netherlands to biuld a new town on the westcoust of Sweden. The county name was until last year Göteborg and Bohus län (county)
and is now Västra Götalands län.  
Göteborg is town # 2 from inhabitants in Sweden from where I think 80 % of the emigrants departed

2000-11-26, 03:57
Svar #3

Joyce Todd

Thank you Mikael and Björn-Åke.  It seems to me proper to use the Swedish spelling, Göteborg.  Good to know the name change of län to Bohus. I have not found any of my Swedish emigrants yet who departed from another Swedish port!
Regards,
Joyce

2000-11-26, 11:12
Svar #4

Mikael Uhlin

Since Göteborg is situated on the Swedish westcoast, most of the Swedish emigrants assembled there before taking a ship to America.

As for the county, it was called Göteborgs och Bohus län (county of Göteborg and Bohus) but the other year it became a part (together with the county of Älvsborg and the county of Skaraborg)
of a new county, Västra Götalands län (county of Western Gothia).

2000-11-26, 14:11
Svar #5

Utloggad Gudrun Dahl

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 167
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-01-19, 07:48
    • Visa profil
If I am rightly informed, the city of Göteborg have decided to use Göteborg as its official name also in translation. This is at least the case with the university, which is officially called University of Göteborg or possibly Göteborg University (I do not remember which, but it does not change the point).
Best regards
Gudrun Dahl

2000-11-26, 22:58
Svar #6

Joyce Todd

Tack Mikael och Gudrun!  That additional information  is very helpful.
Joyce

2000-11-27, 00:22
Svar #7

Utloggad Jens Sandahl

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 503
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-02-01, 18:16
    • Visa profil
The official name of the university is 'Göteborg University'.

The city got its first preliminary charter in March 1619 and it was written in German, and the first sentence read: 'Anfencklich soll solche stadt heissen vnnd genennt werden Gothenburgh...'. In June 1621 the definite charter was issued.  Thus the city was founded some years earlier than was mentioned above.

2000-11-27, 01:56
Svar #8

Joyce Todd

Tack, Jens!  I appreciate information and advice from experts.  I am having difficulty with my research and fear I would have no success without help.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna