ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Finland Sweden Migration  (läst 1257 gånger)

2009-01-11, 18:28
läst 1257 gånger

Utloggad James Johnson

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 11
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-02-10, 18:50
    • Visa profil
My grandparents emmigrated to the United States in 1882 from Ostergotland.  I am registered with several DNA sites here (Ancestry.com, Family Tree) and get mostly matches in Finland with a very few in Norway, and Sweden.

I am not sure what this means.  Can anyone tell me about Finnish migration into Sweden-was there a historical moment when a large migration took place?

Thank you,

James Johnson

2009-01-11, 21:17
Svar #1

Utloggad Ritva Winter

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 355
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-10-09, 10:16
    • Visa profil
Sweden and Finland were two parts of the same country until 1809, when Finland was ceaded to Russia. There has. therefore. been a continous migration between the areas before that war. 'Celebrations' in both countries this year!!

But three major migrations may be mentioned

1) Finns from eastern Finland (Savolax) moved to Värmland in Sweden in the 16th century to build new farms (a little too early?)
2) During a war in the 1720:s many 'Finns' from the higher classes fled to   Sweden, many remained in Sweden
3) I suppose the same thing happened in 1809, but there has been little information as to migration. Finland continued to use the Swedish governmental system and Swedish laws of 1634.  

I suggest that you look for English-spoken web-sites on migration in Finland, or contact www.genealogia.fi (choose language English)

By the way, from Savolax people migrated to Fort Christina. Pennsylvania. One of them was a Juhana Matinpoika/Johan Mårtensson, known by the name  John Morton, one of those signing the Declaration of Independence.

Good hunting!

2009-01-12, 00:27
Svar #2

Utloggad James Johnson

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thanks for the interesting reply and helpful!

James Johnson

2009-01-12, 09:53
Svar #3

Utloggad Ritva Winter

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 355
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-10-09, 10:16
    • Visa profil
Come to think of..

Why don't you start by making a query on this site, giving the names of your grandparents and the dates of birth etc?

I have no access to Swedish sources, but Swedish genealogists are truly helpful! I would be surprised if you didn't get a lot of information.

By starting in Sweden you could then search in Finland.

Good luck!

2009-01-12, 19:46
Svar #4

Utloggad Michael Tillander

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 360
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-27, 19:03
    • Visa profil
On the subject of migration between Finland and Sweden a recent book by Jan Samuelson (Eliten, riket och riksdelningen, in Swedish) provides general information. There actually wasn't any large-scale flight to Sweden. Officers did not move because Czar Alexander offered them very generous terms to stay in Finland; the previous salary and pension rights without any duties. The clergy did not because of the indigenous rights (when filling vacant positions parsons born in the diocese were preferred, and immigrants thus had scant chances of jobs). For the civil servants the huge Russian bureaucracy offered jobs.
An interesting aspect was that a resident of Sweden could not hold land i Finland, and vice versa (after a period of some years). This forced landowners to decide where they wanted to live.  
The Finns kept not only the Swedish legal codex of 1734, but also - for several decades - Swedish currency in general use.  
Regards,
Michael

2009-01-14, 02:14
Svar #5

Utloggad James Johnson

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thank you very much for this useful and interesting information.  Perhaps I will ask for help on this.

Best regards,

James Johnson

2009-01-20, 14:16
Svar #6

Utloggad Birgitta Behrendtz

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 92
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-05-11, 11:52
    • Visa profil
I need your help!
Selviria Karolina Stenqvist borned May 16 1853 in Åbo,Finland. She get married in Sweden Mars 12 1885 to Karl Johan Elof Magnusson.  
Selviria Karolina died in Stockholm, Sweden Mars 23 1933.
I am searching her parents and brothers/sisters in Finland and the date for her move to Sweden.  

Best regards  
Birgitta Behrendtz

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna