ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Enhancing images for readability  (läst 691 gånger)

2008-06-14, 06:42
läst 691 gånger

Utloggad Thomas Hjelm

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 9
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-01-28, 20:50
    • Visa profil
Hello,

I've been looking through genline records and I have some difficulty reading handwriting sometimes.  Does anyone here have any tips on using image-editing software (Photoshop, GIMP, etc) to make things more readable?  What techniques do you use?

For example, GID: 2357.42.22600, line 2 is my farfars farfar.  Another forum member told me in another thread that it says he lost his left hand because he was shot in it.  Looking at the line, I can make out some of the words.  I see skott (shot) at the end, and I think I can see hand, but most of it is so blurry that I can't make out the letters.  I want to be able to manipulate the image like this guy did in this thread.  I know how to take a screenshot and copy it into an image-editing program (I use GIMP), but I don't know how to make it pretty and readable.

Thanks for any help!

2008-06-14, 12:45
Svar #1

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1081
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-03-22, 19:32
    • Visa profil
Guess I answer in english...
Well the source quality is very essential. Unfortunately many of thwe mormon files are of poor quality and are not good for close-up study.
Your example is not very good with Genline. However the same hh-record is available at SVAR and the quality much better:

The text reads: enhändt,miste venster handen genom ett skott.
All I do trying to get better readability is just to fiddle with brightness and contrast. Sometimes - but not always - you get a result that is more easy to read.

Copmanies offering digital photos of the churchbooks online - ArkivDigital, now together with Digi Arkiv - gives a much better result as you can see from many examples here on Anbytarforum.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna