ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Dutch in Stockholm (18th century)  (läst 1352 gånger)

2001-08-09, 13:35
läst 1352 gånger

Utloggad Michel Serne

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 15
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-09-16, 08:41
    • Visa profil
    • www.serne.com
Hello everybody,

I have a copy of a page from a parishrecord from Stockholm, written in Dutch! It mentioned a baptism of Pieter Julius Serne and his (twin) sister Jacobina Louisa Serne. They were both 17 years old. (mennists ?) Witnesses are: Mme Van Marteville widow of Mr Knight Vult von Steijern, Mr. Gemmich and Anna Tiquet. The pastor is Mr Tiquet. The baptism was 11th may 1764.

From the archives of the City of Amsterdam I found a marriagecertificate of the same Pieter Julius Serne. In this certificate is mentioned that his father Matthijs Serne lives in Stockholm.

A older relative of my (a Swedish woman married with a dutch Serne), found last year in the Stockholm Archives that this Matthijs died in 1783 at the age of 64 and that he was a bombicinator (silk weaver).

I have three questions:
1. What were the dutch doing in Stockholm ? (silk trading ??)
2. Has somebody more information about Matthijs Serne (a dutchman who lived in the 18th century in Stockholm, Sweden).
3. Are there Serne's living in Sweden at this moment ?

You can find the copies of the certificates at my homepage:
http://www.serne.com/pjserne.htm

(this Swedish document is for now only in Dutch ;-)

Regards,

Michel Sern?
The Netherlands
homepage: http://www.serne.com

2001-08-10, 07:05
Svar #1

Jonas Kuschner (Jonas)

Hello Michel!

There were many Dutch families in Stockholm in the 17th and 18th century. In the Dutch golden age period, the Dutch controlled the Baltic trade with cereals and much of the export of Swedish products such as copper, as well as the import of wine and other commodities from S. Europe. For this reasons, many Dutch settled in Stockholm as well as in other places important for this trade, such as Hamburg, Copenhagen, Danzig, Riga and so on. Some also settled in places in the Swedish inland of importance in the mining and metal processing industry. Some remained for generations and became assimilated, others stayed for shorter periods. Many kept up their contacts in Holland, and one can see families where the sons go back there. There may be many reasons why a particular family may have settled in Stockholm, and it would require some more research to determine the background in an individual case. There were also Dutch artists, craftsmen - particularly qualified craftsmen involved in luxury production, as in this case - naval officers and others in Sweden in the period.

Tiquet is a French Huguenot family that settled in Sweden in the late 17th c. Vult von Steijern is a Swedish noble family. (The individual could be identified without much difficulty.). On the original picture from the christening record (in the Dutch reformed church in Stockholm) I notice that one of the witnesses was a Anna Johanna Grill. Grill was an important merchant family in Stockholm, and owners of several rural ironworks. I also see the name of Charles Toutin. Toutin was a huguenot merchant family of some significance. The Dutch reformed and French-reformed (huguenots) had (and still have) separate churches in Stockholm, but belonged to the same trading networks and frequently intermarried.

You ought to try to find a book by Leos M?ller, The merchant houses of Stockholm, c. 1640-1800. A comparative study of early-modern entrepreneurial behaviour (Uppsala; Acta Universitatis Upsaliensis. Studia historica Upsaliensia, 188, 1998), 303, [6] pp.

It will give you much information on these trading networks, and basically consists of two case studies, one of which concerns the aforementioned Grill family, the other the family Momma (both families of German origin, but partly reformed/calvinists and with significant Dutch contacts).

2001-08-10, 09:15
Svar #2

Carl Szabad (Carl)

Michel! There is no Serne or Sern? in the Swedish telephone book. No one with that name has died in Sweden during the last 30 years. And noone can be found in the digital registers concerning Stockholm: whole of Stockholm 1800-1839, and parts of Stockholm 1878-1926.

2010-01-30, 20:34
Svar #3

Utloggad Michel Serne

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
    • www.serne.com
Hello everybody. It is a very long time ago, but I found some new information about my relatives in Sweden. Especially about Matheus (or Matthijs) Serné. He lived in Vadstena and was a director of a silkfactory. See this hyperlink (in swedish!) for more information: http://immigrant.org/aom/index.php/aom/article/view/26/36  

It is for me impossible now to go to the archive in Vadstena to search further for Matheus Serne. Is it possible for someone in Vadstena to look up more information about Matheus and his relatives. For example. I know that he married with Gertrud Westergren 09-09-1780. His daughter Jacobina was a teacher in Vadstena. I think she married with Lars Fred. Helling. When dit Mattheus died. Is something more known about Gertrud Westergren?  

I hope someone will help me

Regards,
Michel Serné
The Netherlands
www.serne.com

2010-01-30, 23:07
Svar #4

Utloggad Steve Palmquist

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1210
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-12-06, 15:18
    • Visa profil
I hope Michel somebody in Vadstena town, will help you or someother person who can find this information on CD´s etc.  
As it was mentioned before on this site; dutch people in 17´s and 18´s centuary were one of the biggest immigrant groups in Sweden. I myself am a descendent of, for example, the families; Standaert, van der Noot, de Neef, van/de Struys among several other dutch families even the french origninated (Normandie) family; de Moucheron (later descendent relatives and dutch master painters in 17´s centuary Isack and Fredric de Moucheron!).  

This about silfactories is interesting because another guy at this forum search for german silkweawers that immigrated to Sweden and Stockholm in 18´s centuary. I´ll see if I can help you in some way or the other??? Still today there is one silmanufactory (one and the only) at Repslagargatan in Stockholm Almquists silkesväveri which aswell is a museum.  
I hope you will get more answers Michel and I will certainiy return to You here at anbytarforum if I find some more dacts according to this matter and your interests!

My Best Regards: Steve

P.S. The Standaert family (mentioned above) were well known wine merchants and started a tradition with more advanced restaurants in Stockholm from about 1630´s..

2010-01-30, 23:32
Svar #5

Utloggad Steve Palmquist

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1210
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-12-06, 15:18
    • Visa profil
I wonder why the word silk is spelled so badly above? SILK (!) it should be; silkfactory, silkmanufactory etc...it should have been! Sorry, but i checked it out before I sent it, why it is spellet like this without K I do not know!

Yours Sincerely: steve

2010-01-31, 11:35
Svar #6

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
The most well-known textile factory in Vadstena in the middle 1700s was a factory that manufactured fine linen (Kammarduk), and which was located in the castle. This factory had many foreign workers, but was not very profitable, so it closed after some 20 years.

2010-02-01, 15:23
Svar #7

Utloggad Monica E. Fogelqvist

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 673
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-11, 16:13
    • Visa profil
Hello Michel, Mathias Serne married Gertrud Westergren in 1780 as you mention above. On June 23 1782 a son, Johan Mathias was born with the parents Mathias Serne and Gertrud Westergren (Katarina CII:6) and only seven months later on Jan. 29 1783, Mathias Serne died according to church registers (Katarina FI:5).

This clip is from Vadstena in 1767 (Vadstena AI:2 sid 641 Arkiv Digital):

It shows Mathias Serne but no names for the wife and daughter, just their age.

and here is another clip:

Mathias Serne, lace weaver.

2010-02-01, 16:45
Svar #8

Utloggad Michel Serne

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
    • www.serne.com
Dear Monica,

Thank you very much for your great help!
I did not know that Matthias had children with Gertrud. Indeed he died shortly after the birth of his son.

If you found more of these very nice information. You know how to find me :-)

Regards,
Michel Serné

2010-02-01, 20:37
Svar #9

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
Michel,  

The Swedish page you linked to says he ran a vävkantfabrik. (Fabrik means factory, but vävkant is not a household word today, so I tried to check it up. I read here that it signifies a special type of lace that woven, several at a time in a kind of loom, similar to how ribbons are made. This confirms Monica's information above, that he was a lace weaver. By the way, Vadstena was a center of bobbin lacemaking. (I wonder how all the local bobbin lacemakers felt about this competition? Once a little boy watched me making bobbin lace, and after a while asked: Isn't there any quicker way of doing that?...)

I haven't seen anything above supporting the idea that he ran a silk factory in Vadstena, so I think it may be a misunderstanding - in the same paragraph as Mattheus Serné and his vävkantfabrik is mentioned, it says that another immigrant, Alexis Deutza, got permission to run a silk factory. But surely a lace factory is just about as nice?  

(Meddelandet ändrat av acb 2010-02-01 20:40)

2010-02-04, 22:58
Svar #10

Utloggad Michel Serne

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
    • www.serne.com
Hello everybody at this wonderfull forum,

I have made a small familytree of Mattheus Serné.

I.1 Mattheus (Matthijs, Matthias) Serné, born about 1720, christened 1744 in Haarlem, died on 29-01-1783 in Stockholm (Sweden),  
Church marriage (1) on 06-04-1744 in Haarlem to Maria van der Werf, born circa 1718 in Amsterdam, died on 28-12-1769 in Vadstena (Sweden), Buried on 05-01-1770 in Vadstena (Sweden).

Married (2) on 16-06-1780 in Stockholm to Gertrud Westergren.
From the first marriage:

1. Jacobina Louisa Serné, born circa 1746, christened on 11-05-1761 in Stockholm (Sweden), died on 09-12-1798 in Stockholm (Sweden), buried on 15-12-1798 in Stockholm (Sweden)
2. Pieter Julius Serné (see also II.2).
From the second marriage:
3. Johan Matthias Serné, born on 23-06-1782 in Stockholm (Sweden). christened on 25-06-1782 in Stockholm (Sweden).

II.2 Pieter Julius Serné, Born circa 1746. Married to Cornelia Harmina van Balen, born circa 1752 in 's-Gravenhage, died on 02-03-1805 in Amsterdam, buried on 06-03-1805 in Amsterdam, daughter of Pieter Gerhard van Balen.
From this marriage:
1. Gerard Pieter Serné, christened on 30-10-1785 in Amsterdam, died on 04-09-1808 in Amsterdam at the age of 22.
2. Serné., buried on 18-01-1783 in Amsterdam.

I have still 4 questions:
a) Where and when is Gertrud Westergren born/died
b) Is Jacobina Louisa Serné married with a swedish man called Helling ?
c) Where and when died Johan Matthias Serné
d) Does somebody know something about Pieter Julius?

Meanwhile I still am looking in Genline for more. Though it is hard for me as a dutchman without knowledge of the swedish language to read the handwritten texts...

Regards,
Michel Serné

2010-02-07, 09:16
Svar #11

Utloggad Michel Serne

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
    • www.serne.com
Some pictures of the documents I found with Genline are here at my website:

www.serne.com/se/sverige.htm

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna