ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Confirmation in black dresses  (läst 560 gånger)

2003-11-17, 15:44
läst 560 gånger

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 354
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-11-29, 20:15
    • Visa profil
I am editing my family's letters from Sweden - with the help of translators I met on this site.  In one of the letters, dated 1894, a young girl thanked her American aunt for sending money that would buy her a confirmation dress.  She said that they purchased black material, and that the seamstress would come soon.  Does anyone know a website where I can locate a photo of a confirmation class, all dressed in black?  We always think that confirmation wear for girls was white, and I'd like to include a photo of a class dressed in black when I edit my family's letters and send it to the cousins as their Christmas gift.

2003-11-17, 16:46
Svar #1

Anders Andersson

I'm not familiar with confirmation wear, but at least wedding dresses appear to have changed colour from black to white around the early 1900's (or perhaps there were no particular fashion, and I'm extrapolating from the wedding photos I have seen).

2003-11-17, 16:59
Svar #2

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
At this address you can see a confirmation group all in black. It is from Ekeby parish in the province of Närke.

The link is http://w1.195.telia.com/~u19504888/socken/foto/konfirmation.jpg

2003-11-17, 17:22
Svar #3

Anna-Carin Betzén

Among my family's photos, there are three confirmation photos of girls. Two of them, born in 1901 and living in a city (Göteborg), wore white. The third was born in 1895 and lived in the country, and she wore black. I asked my grandmother about this a while ago, and she said that at that time country girls generally had black confirmation dresses and city girls white.  

Perhaps people in the country thought more of the practical aspects of white vs black clothes, or maybe it's just that they didn't keep up with the fashion.

2003-11-17, 19:34
Svar #4

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 354
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-11-29, 20:15
    • Visa profil
Thanks so much!  I copied the photo of the confirmation group that Elisabeth told about, and have noted comments from everyone in the editorial notes.  These letters have given me so many questions - and you may be hearing more from me real soon.  At least the confirmation dress issue has been solved!
Karen

2003-11-19, 08:43
Svar #5

Lennart Hjelmstedt

In a book about clothes and dressing in old days, I'm afraid I can't remember the name, the author meantions the use of black dress for confirmation wear. The reason was very simple, you could use later one, for funerals and for your wedding as well. For men the first kostym, suite was used the same way. (anyway as long as you could squeese in to it)

Lennart Hjelmstedt
Jönköping

2003-11-19, 12:46
Svar #6

Utloggad Jens Arvidsson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 173
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-10-27, 09:36
    • Visa profil
The custom to dress in black for confirmation was, at least in some parts of Sweden, still alive in the 1950's.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna