ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Carolina Matilda Palmquist or Carl Johan von Melen  (läst 888 gånger)

2010-04-26, 21:36
läst 888 gånger

Utloggad Sandra Palmquist

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 2
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-04-27, 15:34
    • Visa profil
I have learned that my great-great-great grandfather Sven August Larsson, born 16-Jun-1822 in Vera parish (Fallhult?) changed his surname from Larsson to Palmquist after Carolina Matilda Palmquist, the daughter-in-law to the pastor in Vena, Carl Johan von Melen.  I am very interested in receiving any information you can provide about Carolina Matilda Palmquist or Carl Johan von Melen, as I'm trying to understand why my ggg-grandfather would have changed his name to Palmquist.  Any information regarding the surname Palmquist or Palmqvist would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much for any help you could provide.

2010-04-27, 10:09
Svar #1

Utloggad Marianne Lindén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1295
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-02-24, 19:56
    • Visa profil
I have been very difficult to see that there was no relationship between Sven August Larsson and Palmkvist.
Admittedly, Sven August mother Ingrid Stina born in Norrhemmet Eksjo 17960711 and Mrs. Christina von Melens Armfeldt was born in 1793 Höreda, so maybe they knew each other.
Von Melens son Carl William M married Mathilda Carolina Palmkvist, and they lived a short time in Vena. Carolina Matilda was born in Somvik Malexander. His parents were Olaf Palmkvist and Carolina Hagenberg.
But in my research I have seen that when it came to America with a standard son names so you almost had to be renamed to his post. Then it took me a name that recalled the native.
Translate with computer

2010-04-27, 15:27
Svar #2

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
On the following link you can read about Swedish names and naming traditions: http://www.etgenealogy.se/nwonamn.htm

As Marianne mentions above, it was very common for the immigrants to chose to use a proper family surname after immigration, and very often they chose a Swedish family surname, instead of an American surname.

2010-04-27, 15:34
Svar #3

Utloggad Sandra Palmquist

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 2
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-04-27, 15:34
    • Visa profil
Thank you, Marianne and Elisabeth, so much for the information.  

So I guess Sven just liked the name and took it because there were so many other standard son names coming to America.  It the proper spelling Palmkvist?  Is Palmkvist a popular surname in your country.  Were Carolina and Von Melens well known people in the Vena parish?  

Thank you so much for your good help, it is greatly appreciated. I'm now thinking a vacation trip to Sweden is in order for me.

2010-04-27, 18:14
Svar #4

Utloggad Marianne Lindén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1295
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-02-24, 19:56
    • Visa profil
There are several spellings for Palmkvist, but Palmkvist, and Palmquist are most common. Von Melen and Armfeldt is a noble name. Olaf Palmquist in Somvik was also a prominent man. It may be that you got to know Carolina Palmquist as a friendly and kind women the years she lived in Vena. Sen was also religious and a palm branch was a symbol that was realized.

Translate with computer

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna