ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Amerika letters  (läst 773 gånger)

2001-03-18, 15:44
läst 773 gånger

Glen Johnson

Hello!

I have heard that there are collections of letters that emigrants to America wrote to their families in Sweden.  I have written to Svenska Emigrantinstitutet in Växjö to learn more.  If anyone has seen any of these collections, please let me know.  I am interested in seeing some letters from Halland, especially from Tvååker and the nearby parishes.

2001-03-18, 22:31
Svar #1

Utloggad Irene Poignant

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 292
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-12-21, 13:47
    • Visa profil
?Letters from the Promised Land?, edited and  
translated by H. Arnold Barton, published by  
the  
Swedish-American Historical Society in  
Chicago.
Can be ordered from their bookshop.

2001-03-19, 05:09
Svar #2

Glen Johnson

Irene,

Thanks very much for the information!

Glen

2001-03-19, 14:43
Svar #3

Utloggad Irene Poignant

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 292
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-12-21, 13:47
    • Visa profil
Glen
About Tvååker, have you checked out  
www.halland.  
genealogi.se ?
Lots of information, but I think it's only in  
Swedish.

Irene

2001-03-21, 12:33
Svar #4

Glen Johnson

Hello Irene,

I went there some time ago.  Its entirely in Swedish.  If you email them it is said you can get assistance but I suppose that depends upon your question.  In my case I received no response.  It was so long ago I forgot what I asked for.

The Emigrant Institute in Växjö has a collection of these letters.  So I emailed them to see if they can help. I assume the author of that book did not translate the entire collection, since many of the letters may not have been very interesting.  

We are trying to find out what became of some great-great aunts who emigrated to the US in 1886 and 1888.  Aside from the information about their voyage in the emigranten CD and the Göteborg archives, we have no information.  There is no trace of them in the US.  No passenger list, no census records.  An Amerika letter from them or from someone they may have known might help us to find them.

Glen

2003-01-07, 06:19
Svar #5

Utloggad Siv Larsson

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 68
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-01, 23:27
    • Visa profil
Larsson--My grandfather Per Larsson came to the United States in 1882 with his wife Anna Jonsdotter and two children Anna and Margit.  Per was born Feb. 14, 1846.  Anna was born Februry 8, 1929, the two children; Anna born Sept. 3, 1867 and Margit, Feburary 9, 1870.  The family name is Folf or Tolf and I suspect they came from Dalarna.  I am looking for their place of birth.  They may have left Sweden on or about June 15, 1882.  Can anyone help me?

2003-01-07, 10:52
Svar #6

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Per Larsson, born 1846 Feb 15 in Älvdalen, Dalarna, emigrated in 1882 from Älvdalen to North America. He travelled the company of Anna Jansdotter, born 1829 Nov.13 in Älvdalen, Anna Persdotter, born 1867 Sep.3, and Margit Persdotter, born 1870 Feb.9, both in Älvdalen.

An older woman, Marit Larsdotter, born 1816 Nov.23 also travelled with Per and his family.

They all came from the farm Kittan 14 in Älvdalen.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna