ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 13 juni, 2011  (läst 3446 gånger)

2003-09-07, 23:53
läst 3446 gånger

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 354
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-11-29, 20:15
    • Visa profil
How do I begin learning about the various sources for genealogical research in Sweden?  I read these discussions and find that there are a variety of sources, many available on CDs.  I have used the Danish emigration archives, and I know those databases also are available in Sweden, probably on CD.  But the various population census, parish census, tax records, court documents, etc. are confusing me.
   Is there one source that I can read to help me understand this?  I would like to learn about these sources, and to learn a little about the language, before I visit Sweden.
   Thanks in advance!

2003-09-08, 09:31
Svar #1

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
You can find a lot of useful information on the Swedish Roots, the English pages of Rötter, the mother site of Anbytarforum.

2003-09-08, 14:02
Svar #2

Utloggad Dean Wood

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 75
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-06-28, 21:01
    • Visa profil
The book Cradled in Sweden by Carl-Erik Johansson is a good resource.  It's available from Everton Publishers (www.everton.com).  It should also be available on microfiche from the LDS.

2003-09-08, 17:48
Svar #3

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Hi Karen,

The SweGGate website describes the Swedish parish records and gives advice on how to use them.

http://www.sweggate.com

Follow this pathway.

Themes --> Church Records

I agree with Dean that Cradled in Sweden is a good resource. This is a direct link to the part of Everton's that tells about the book. I suggest purchasing the book instead of relying on the fiche. The book is a necessity for those of us who aren't native Swedish speakers. I use that book all the time and I would be far more confused without its detailed guidance.

http://www.everton.com/shopper/productview.php?SKU=7205&Category=books

I also agree with Elisabeth that Swedish Roots is a useful resource. The entire site is very interesting and helpful but start with the part that is on the left and in green. The site is a real education for both beginners and those who have researched for a while and now are thinking of trying some other records in addition to parish records.

I have received quite an education just reading old messages on the major Swedish genealogy boards, and following (and saving) the links and advice in the replies. In addition to Anbytarforum, try these boards.

http://genforum.genealogy.com/sweden/

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=localities.scan-balt.sweden.general

There are some excellent Swedish lists too, and I have learned much from those also. These are my favorites.  

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/intl/SWE/SWEDEN.html

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/intl/SWE/SWEGGATE.html

http://smultron.com/mailman/listinfo/swedestoo

To learn more about the language, or at least words needed in genealogical research in Sweden, check the SweGGate site again.

http://www.sweggate.com

Click on the Dictionary link on the home page and you will find a glossary page with links on the same page to even more glossary pages.

The SweGGate site has links for various sources, too.

Follow these pathways.

Sources --> Libraries and Media

Sources --> Person Databases

Have fun!

Judy

2003-09-08, 19:23
Svar #4

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 354
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-11-29, 20:15
    • Visa profil
Thanks so much!  I have gotten many ideas and I will order the Cradled in Sweden book.  It will be a challenge to learn as much as possible, before I travel to Denmark and Sweden.
Karen

2004-02-26, 03:06
Svar #5

Shelby Morse

Looked up my ancestor in Foreningen Slaktdata.
Andrew Cristifor Anderson, 15 March 1840. I figure Anders Gustaf is the father and Johanna is the mother? Under address they have Sorgarden, Ingemarsto. Are these cities, farms or what?
Thanks, Shelby Morse

2004-02-26, 15:13
Svar #6

Utloggad Ann Little

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-23, 20:10
    • Visa profil
Hi Shelby,

If you give me the name of the parish under which you searched for your ancestor, I will check the address. What I can tell you now is that, Sörgården would be the name of a farm. Ingemarsto does not sound quite right, but it is most definitely not the name of a city.

You call your ancestor Andrew; I take it that you know that that would be Anders in Swedish,  because otherwise you could not have found him in Släktdata?!  I think that the second name Cristifor, should be either Cristoffer or Cristopher. Also, his patonymikon/surname would be spellt with double 's' in Sweden.

Anyway, let me know the name of the parish that Anders C. Andersson was born in on the 15th March, 1840 and I will try to help you.

Kind regards,
Ann Little

2004-02-26, 21:46
Svar #7

Utloggad Lars Skillius

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 777
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-16, 12:53
    • Visa profil
Anders Gustaf Andersson was born 15 March 1840 in Sörgården, Ingemarstorp in Agnetorp parish (situated in the then existing county of Skaraborg). His father was Anders Andersson and his mother Johanna Jonsdotter.
As the Christian namne Anders and the patronymic Andersson were extremely common you must be completely sure that these persons really belongs to your family before you continue your research.

2004-02-26, 23:58
Svar #8

Utloggad Ann Little

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-23, 20:10
    • Visa profil
Well, there you are then Shelby...no need to answer my posting!

Ann

2004-02-27, 09:13
Svar #9

Utloggad Lars Skillius

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 777
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-16, 12:53
    • Visa profil
Shelby, the name ~ Cristoffer does still worry me. And I hope you know that the records of the Släktdata society only contains a fairly small part of all Swedish parishes.

2004-04-16, 02:57
Svar #10

Shelby Morse

Ann and Lars, I tried to answer the other day but for some reason it did not go through. All I have to work with is a family record left by my grandad and he could have misspelled some of the names. I think Andre was born in the city of Stockholm. I do not think the Anders Gustaf Anderson in the Slaktdata is the one I need. Thanks so much for your answers. I will be back for more at a later date. Shelby Morse

2011-01-24, 09:56
Svar #11

Utloggad Laval Eve

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 3
  • Senast inloggad: 2020-11-06, 13:55
    • Visa profil
Hello,  

I am seeking information on family LUNDWALD ...  

According to my research (The Swedish Pioneer Historical Quarterly, Volumes 15-16, 1964, a book is not available in France) Anna Christina Lundwald was born in 1735 and died in 1814.  
She was the daughter of the rector of the church Bjursås, town located in the Swedish town of Falun, Lundwald Johan, who was married?  

She married Gabriel Norderling, born 1734, died in 1803 at the age of 69 years, Provost and Shepherd, Dean of the Church of Sweden.  
I also found:  

“Gift 1731-05-23 i Bjursås med
Johannes Johannis Lundwald , född 1703-10-28 i Lundby, Fortuna, död 1771-08-19 i Stora Skedvi. Kyrkoherde i Stora Skedvi.

Son till Johan Johansson och Sara Andersdotter. Barn: Enfants:  
* Catharina Margareta Lundwald , född 1732-03-25 i Bjursås, död 1817-09-01 i By.  

Do you have any answers for me? Thanking you very much.  
Eve

2011-01-24, 22:18
Svar #12

Utloggad Antoinette Herron

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 100
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-05-08, 20:33
    • Visa profil
Hello Eve!

I don t understand your question.....You have Christina Lundwald b. 1735 and her husband Gabriel Norderling, and her father Johan Lundwald.

He (Johan Lundwald, seems to be married 1731-05-23 in Bjursås) but it doesn t say to who.....

Johan Lundwald= Johannes Johannis Lundwald b. 1703, his father is Johan Johansson and his mother is Sara Andersdotter and they have a child Catharina Margareta Lundwald b. 1732 (probably a sister to your Christina).

Was it some kind of translation you wanted???

All the best

Antoinette

2011-01-25, 09:52
Svar #13

Utloggad Laval Eve

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Hello Antoinette  

Thank you very much for your response ...  

I actually Lundwald Christina b. Norderling Gabriel and her husband, but am not sure of the father ...  

Was it really Lundwald Johan?  

You're telling me that Johan Lundwald seems to marry in the Bjursås 23/05/1731 but it does not say that .....  

and then Johan Johannes Johannis Lundwald Lundwald = b. 1703, was for parents Johan Johansson and Sara Andersdotter and they have a child Catharina Margareta Lundwald b. 1732. Catharina is a sister or aunt of Christina? or I did not understand!  

No it was not some kind of translation, but I wanted to try to find the parents of Christina and my English is not very correct, I hope you understand me ...  

Yours  
Eve

2011-01-25, 12:07
Svar #14

Utloggad Anne-Sofie Gordon

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 114
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-06-10, 11:18
    • Visa profil
Hi Eve,

According to the marriage records for Bjursås (Bjursås C:4, page 18), Johan Lundvald married Margareta Arhusiander 1731-05-23.

Margareta (b. 1708-09-07, Bjursås) was the daughter of the vicar of Bjursås, Johan Arhusiander (b.1671 Falun, d.1731 Bjursås) and Catharina Anagrius (b.1686 Bjursås). Johan died in Bjursås in April 1731 and was buried there on the same day as his daughter's wedding (charming!).

Anna Christina Lundvald was born in Bjursås 1735-01-15 (Bjursås C:4, page 89).

There is quite a lot to read about Johan Lundvald in the burial records for Stora Skedvi, where he died 1771-08-19 (Stora Skedvi F:10, page 136). It mentions that he and his wife Margareta Arhusiander had 4 sons and 8 daughters, but at the time of his death 1 son and 3  daughters had died.

Hope this makes sense and is of some help to you!  

Regards,
Anne-Sofie

2011-01-26, 10:27
Svar #15

Utloggad Laval Eve

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Hello Anne-Sofie

Thank you very much for your answer helped me very much. This confirmed my assumptions and helped me back in the ascending ...

You tell me there is quite a lot to read about Johan Lundwald in the burial records  ... can you tell me more or how to learn more?

Again thank you for everything! You're awesome!

Cordially
Eve

2011-05-27, 04:12
Svar #16

Utloggad Jim Wilkinson

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 9
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-06-16, 03:14
    • Visa profil
My Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparent's names were Johannes Jansson born - February 17, 1797 and  wife Boel Bengtsdotter born - September 8, 1800  --  they were married on February 23, 1823 and had several children -- Mans Jansson was born - February 3, 1826 was my Gr. Grandfather and came to American in 1866 -  leaving Sweden with four children - only one survived - Magnus who was my Gr Grandfather.  They settled in Nebraska, USA on a farm.  

I will be travelling to Sweden in July with my daughter, and my Aunt who still lives in the same area where the Jansson's settled.  My Aunt is actually the genealogy expert and researcher.  But she has had trouble getting into this forum; I need to get over to her place and help her.  In the meantime, I am the messenger.  I hope that is OK.  

My Aunt believes that our family came from near Landskrona -- the names on the birth certificates show Landskrona -Sirekopinge - Tagarp-Halmstad- Ekeby  --  Teckomatorp  --

Boel Bengtdotters' parents   -  Bengt Christenson  b - 1765-1836 and wife Kersti Petersdotter b- 1769-1844   were born in Risekatslosa  and died in Sirekopinge  

Being unfamiliar with Sweden, I could use some help determining the church that Magnus and Boel were married in, and the address so that we may visit there.  Also, in looking up records in Sweden, what place would be recommended (at the churches? or another location, such as the genealogy archives in Malmo?)?

2011-05-27, 06:48
Svar #17

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4039
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-12, 18:31
    • Visa profil
Hello Jim!
Your aunt is quite right, it's from the province of Skåne they come - northeast of the small city Landskrona and southeast of the city Helsingborg.

Some dates may be off, with this information that I believe is the right family from the Swedish cd Emibas:

Johannesson, Måns
Åbo fd (former farmer, married man)
b. 3/2/1826 in Sireköpinge, Malmöhus län (Skåne)
Emigrated 4/10/1865
from Halmstad 5, Halmstad, Malmöhus län (Skåne)
to Amerika
Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 194

Nilsdotter, Sissa
Hustru (married woman)
b. 1/6/1823 in Sireköpinge, Malmöhus län (Skåne)
Emigrated 4/10/1865
from Halmstad 5, Halmstad, Malmöhus län (Skåne)
to Amerika
Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 194

son Magnus b. 2/27/1856 in Halmstad, Malmöhus län (Skåne)
son Nils b. 2/8/1858 in Halmstad, Malmöhus län (Skåne)
daughter Christina b. 2/20/1861 in Halmstad, Malmöhus län (Skåne)
son Johan b. 9/27/1863 in Halmstad, Malmöhus län (Skåne)

Måns Johannessons parents are actually on the same page in the household examination roll for Halmstad (Halmstad AI:10 (1861-1867) p. 194) and Johannes is Johannes Jönsson (which means his father was named Jöns) born the date you give in Kellna - which today is spelled Källna (southeast of the small city Ängelholm), and Boel Bengtsdotter in Sireköpinge (in the church book at this time spelled Zireköpinge) and here given to be born 9 March 1800.

I see in your profile that you know a lot also about Måns' siblings, so I'm not looking them up, but trying to determine where he and Sissa married I looked in an earlier household examination roll, and find his parents and siblings and himself on page 168 in Halmstad AI:8 (1849-1854). Måns takes out a permission to go to Denmark in August 1853 - probably only to work as a farm hand as he is never recorded to leave the parish for good. In the next roll, Halmstad AI:9 (1855-1862) page 186, Sissa has moved in from the parish Felestad in 1855 - no wedding date given.  

But they are married in Felestad parish, (the church is lovely from ca 1200 - if they actually were married in the church or in the priest's home I can't say) Felestad C:2 (1837-1861) page 45, wedding number one in 1855, on 23 June 1855. The parish is now part of Svalövbygdens parish, and the website give the gps-help Latitud: 55,9067 Longitud: 13,0947 to find Felestad church  

In your profile you mention that some of Måns' siblings also emigrate later  

Johansdotter, Hanna
Hustru (married woman)
b. 8/29/1836 in Halmstad, Malmöhus län (Skåne)
Emigrated 5/2/1881 - with husband and children
from Brödåkra 1, Sireköpinge, Malmöhus län (Skåne)
to Amerika
Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 138

Johansson, Bengt
Stataredräng (farm laborer, widower)
b. 2/17/1845 in Halmstad, Malmöhus län (Skåne)
Emigrated 5/3/1881 - with 2 sons
from Vallåkra Gård, Kvistofta, Malmöhus län (Skåne)
to Amerika
Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 126

The best place to look up the genealogical records is actually the Internet ... you are not allowed to see the actual church book anymore at the archives, only micro fiche or the Internet also there (the church books from these parishes are kept in the Regional Archives in Lund).

There are three options for Swedish church books on Internet, all are subscription, and the one with the best photo quality is normally ADOnline, the others are  
* SVAR, a branch of the National Archive and  
* Genline, a company that was bought by American Ancestry.com last summer and the volumes are now part of there World Collection.

You can see a map of where the parishes are, if you go to www.ddss.nu (Demographical Database for Southern Sweden, press the British flag in upper left corner for English) - press the map on Skåne and then the detailed map up in the right corner (Sireköpinge is in the judicial district of Rönneberg and Halmstad and some of the others in Luggude).

Have a nice visit in Sweden!
best regards,
Eva

(Meddelandet ändrat av edah 2011-05-27 07:13)

2011-05-27, 20:59
Svar #18

Utloggad John Bentley

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 234
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-09-16, 21:10
    • Visa profil
I cannot add to the above, and the following was looked up for my own interest really, since I drive very close by these villages every visit I make to Sweden.  Just that the equally ancient baptismal churches of Halmstad http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halmstads_kyrka and Sireköpinge http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirek%C3%B6pinge_kyrka are still there and also look worth visiting. Google maps by the way easily locates all the places you mention.

Can I mention one very small point, that you take care not to confuse your village of Halmstad, Skåne with the very large town of Halmstad, Halland someway further up the coast.  

Enjoy your trip.  John

2011-05-31, 00:34
Svar #19

Utloggad Jim Wilkinson

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Eva and John, thank you from the bottom of my heart for this information and for responding so quickly.  I have forwarded the information to my aunt.  Of course, there is a good chance that she, being the detective of the family, will have some follow-up questions.  Before that happens, I wanted to send this thank you note your way.  I am so excited for this trip.  I read that this forum discourages discussions of any persons except those that have died, but do you think that there is a chance we can find someone to show us around the areas which my ancestors lived in?  We are planning to come into Sweden via Elsinore/Helsingborg on either July 9 or July 10 and stay two to three days.  

Jim

2011-05-31, 11:00
Svar #20

Utloggad John Bentley

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 234
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-09-16, 21:10
    • Visa profil
Only glad to help.  My best tip so that you are not disappointed when you go is to contact the church wardens of the churches you want to visit to ensure that they are open.  Many are open to visit but it is not to be relied on. I think you can work out the contacts for each church from http://www.svenskakyrkan.se/default.aspx?id=651531  All three mentioned in our posts above are on the list.  Of course if you are really lucky, they might be able to have somebody there to show you round since July is the holiday month for Sweden.

John

2011-06-03, 03:11
Svar #21

Utloggad Jim Wilkinson

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
I am looking for information about Anna Anderson who was born January 21, 1865  - family lore has it that her mother died and she was raised by her Uncle - Ola Jansson.  We believe Anna Anderson came to the United States when she was sixteen years of age.  Our question is: who was Anna Anderson's mother?  

We are wondering if it is Anna Johannesson who was born on August 31, 1828.
..sister of Mans Jansson and 4th child of Johannes Jansson and Boel Bengtsdotter....

Jim

2011-06-03, 14:42
Svar #22

Utloggad Arne Granquist

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1427
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-04-17, 19:54
    • Visa profil
The mother is Kjersti Johansdotter  born 17 Nov 1839 to Johannes Jönsson and Boel Bengtsdotter at Halmstad.
She dies 31 Jan 1865 in Svalöv

2011-06-04, 05:35
Svar #23

Utloggad Jim Wilkinson

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thank you!  I am so excited that you told me the name of my great, great grandmother Kjersti Johansdotter.  Such a beautiful name.  Would there be any information about who she married, and in what church, and where she is buried?

2011-06-04, 06:34
Svar #24

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4039
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-12, 18:31
    • Visa profil
Jim, Anna's moving-out record from Emibas

Andersdotter, Anna
Piga (maid - unmarried woman)
b. 1/21/1865 in Svalöv, Malmöhus län (Skåne)
Emigrated 5/2/1881
from Brödåkra, Sireköpinge, Malmöhus län (Skåne)
to Amerika
Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 101

Her mother was not married when Anna was born (and obviously died ten days later), and there is no father recorded in the birth book (Svalöv C:6 (1852-1872) sid 43). Anna moved from Svalöv parish to Sireköpinge parish in 1880, you'll find her in Norra Svalöv (household examination roll Svalöv AI:12 (1873-1884) page 25) where she is noted as deceased maid (at a farm) Kjersti Johansdotter's daughter out of wedlock, Anna Johansdotter - which is crossed out and replaced by Andersdotter - so possibly the father was known to be a Anders (common name!).

regarding your visit - the local heritage societies might be helpful,  
(website in English to the federation) but I'm not quite sure where you should turn. There is also a genealogical society for the Svalöv area (they are including Halmstad and Felestad but I'm not sure about Sireköpinge - but everything is quite close  ), you can reach the chairperson at e-mail info(@)sloff.se  

regards,
Eva

PS. I'll be in the area myself at that point but I'm not familiar with the parishes, villages and farms, I'm from 30 km furhter north of Svalöv, but I used to work in Svalöv in the summers some 20 years ago ...

2011-06-10, 01:51
Svar #25

Utloggad Jim Wilkinson

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Eva, this is great information for my family - my aunt is very excited!  It helps explain some things for us.  Thank you so much.  Since we will both be in the area at the same time it would be wonderful if we could meet.  If that is possible please let me know.  By the way, my aunt finally got an account created on this forum last Friday and is waiting for the OK to join (maybe she has received approval by now, I don't know).  Again, thank you for all of your help.  

Jim

2011-06-11, 18:09
Svar #26

Utloggad Jim Wilkinson

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Would there be information as to which church Johannes Jansson and Boel Bengstdotter were married?  

Johannes Jansson born - February 17, 1797 and wife Boel Bengtsdotter born - September 8, 1800. They were married on February 23, 1823.

2011-06-12, 15:12
Svar #27

Utloggad Nils Forsman

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 135
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-05-16, 20:25
    • Visa profil
Sireköpinge parish. Probably married in the church at  N 55° 55.681', E 12° 59.532' or in the priests home.  

They lived at Tågarp no 7. I had a look at some old maps, and I believe that the whole village was moved - maybe during the railway expansion period. The lack of useful landmarks makes it hard to tell wherefrom, but I think that N 55° 56.076', E 12° 58.039' is a guess.

2011-06-12, 17:00
Svar #28

Utloggad Kristina Gunnarsdotter

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 6203
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-18, 00:28
    • Visa profil
And as Arne says above his name is Johannes Jönsson, which means that his father's name is Jöns (not Jan). Here is the birth notification, from Källna birthbook C:2, 1761-1833, page 53. Parents are Jöns Jacobsson and his wife Gunnilla.

The church of Sireköpinge is one of the oldest in Skåne. It was founded at the end of the 12 century and dedicated to John the Baptist (in Swedish Johannes Döparen).
http://www.svenskakyrkan.se/default.aspx?id=643400

(Meddelandet ändrat av Kristina1 2011-06-12 17:11)

2011-06-13, 04:13
Svar #29

Utloggad Jim Wilkinson

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thank you!  We have put the church at Sirekopinge on our itinerary to visit.  Kristina, that is an important correction that you have noted, to Jönsson (versus Jansson).  Also, to have the parents named extends our tree back further. Nils and Kristina, I am so grateful to each of you for your wonderful responses.    

Just after my post, my aunt (who has applied to join this forum but apparently has not been accepted yet) asked me to post the following request (note that she did not have the benefit of Kristina's information on the name Jönsson).      

I would like information on   Anna Johannesson - born - 8/31/1828 to Johannes Jansson and Boel Bengtsdotter --   does she have any connection to Johannes Persson who was born   1/11/1861?   Is it a possibility he is her son?   Who was her husband?   She lived here in the U.S. with Johannes Persson and his wife Johanna.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna