ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Otto William Bayerd  (läst 1238 gånger)

2000-04-11, 02:22
läst 1238 gånger

Jim Bayard

I do not know if you might be able to help me, but I have been searching for my great grandfather for over 10 years, trying to make the connection to Sweden.  I have tried every resource in the U.S. that I can think of, but I have had no luck.  I only know that all documentation (over a 40 year period) in the U.S. lists his name as Otto William Bayerd or Beyerd, and lists his birthplace as Stockholm and his birth date as April 20, 1862.  Based on the 1910 U.S. Census, his parents were Swedish and he immigrated to the U.S.in 1880.  No record of his naturalization exists.  Supposedly, he had been trained as a coppersmith in Sweden, and he had a brother, A. Bayerd that came to the U.S.  In the U.S., he joined the U.S. Navy in San Francisco in 1889. I have never seen the name Bayerd, except in the LDS IGI Index, where there is a Bayerd listed as born in Lungby, Kristianstad, Sweden.  I have, however, seen variations such as Beijer in Stockholm.  The problem is that I do not know for a fact that his name was Bayerd or a variation of that.

2000-04-11, 14:45
Svar #1

Utloggad Tord Påhlman

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2085
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-11-13, 21:51
    • Visa profil
Jim Bayard,

Your name Bayard is a Walloon name. There is a society The descendents of the Walloons of Sweden having their own homepage www.vallon.a.se. Go to their homepage. Under the headline Kontakt med medlemmar check SVÄ Diskussionsforum, in the next page check Vallonsläkter. Check the name Bayard and put your above question there. I think there is a possibility that someone can help you. Good luck!

Best regards   Tord Påhlman

2000-04-15, 13:21
Svar #2

Eva Leksell

In Family Search, IGI, there is a Carl August Bayard, who married in Stockholm 1850 28/4. When I visited Stockholms stadsarkiv, the Stockholm city archives, I looked in some registers and found him. He was a coppersmith, interestingly enough, born 1828. I think he is a strong candidate of being the father of Otto William (should be Wilhelm in Swedish).

In the mantalslängd (population list for tax purposes) 1879, rote 2, district Klara Övre, registration number 1879, at the adress Grytgjutaregatan in the quarter Alpvaktaren, Karl August B was registered with two daughters born 1862 and 1865, a fosterdaughter and several employees. A fabriksidkare (factory owner?) Karl Emil Bayard, born 1850 and living with wife and daughter at the same adress was probably a son of his. No Otto William there, but he could have moved out. The parish would perhaps be Klara.

Carl August Bayard is also to be found in other mantalslängder, but I have not examined them. I can only give you this help:

1866, rote 2, Klara Övre, registration number 1384.
1867,                                                            1404
1873,                                                            1674.

Where he lived in 1862 I forgot to look for.

I think it would be worth it to ask Stockholms stadsarkiv to make some research. You will have to pay for it of course, but it should not be to expensive as they can find the vital information rather easily. Probably there is a bouppteckning, estate inventory, after Carl August B and there all his children would be listed. The archives has got a website: www.ssa.stockholm.se  

Or if you have the patience to wait a couple of weeks I could find some time to look a bit more into the mantalslängder.  

There was a Bayard who married a relative of mine in the 19th century, that is why I  recognized the name. But she was born in Jämtland, far away from Stockholm.

2000-04-16, 16:11
Svar #3

Jim Bayard

First of all, I want to thank Tord Påhlman and Eva Leksell very much for their help in solving the puzzle of my great grandfather, Otto Wilhelm Bayerd.

Eva, your information is very much appreciated, and once again, you have given me hope in being able to find where Otto was born and who his parents were.  I really appreciate your assistance, and the fact that you have taken time out of your schedule to help me.  Thank you!

In regards to the information that you listed above, I had a couple of questions. All of the information makes sense, but if Otto was born on April 20, 1862, how could there have been a daughter born to Karl August Bayard in 1862.  Do you think that maybe he had a twin sister?  In addition, I am not as familiar with Swedish naming customs as I am with Norwegian, but Otto's children in the U.S. were named Theresa, Gladys, Albert William, and Mervin Nelson (after my great grandma from Norway).  I have always thought that he possibly named his first son after his father or brother, A. Bayerd.  Is naming the first son after the paternal grandfather common?

Finally, any further help that you would be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.  I have been looking for over 10 years and can wait longer.  My wife and I are in the process of buying a house and moving in preparation for our first son, who is due to be born in July 2000.  It is for him that I wanted to try to find out this information.  Thank you again!!

2000-04-24, 21:53
Svar #4

Eva Leksell

Jim, there were about 10-15 Bayards in the mantalsregister 1880 - the earliest time I have found one covering the entire city. They had other professions and their age I don't know. I concentrated on Carl August. If he is not the father I still think he must be related.

Yes, I noticed there was a girl born 1862. And perhaps your ancestor would have mentioned it if he had a twin sister, so maybe it is the wrong family after all. You are right about the names, they do not seem to fit in. But at the end of the 1900's Swedish naming traditions were not as conservative as earlier.  

I will see what I can find the next time I visit the archives.

2000-05-02, 01:17
Svar #5

Jim Bayard

Eva, I appreciate your help.  I agree with your opinion that it is quite possible that Otto Wilhelm Bayerd is related to Carl August.  I have contacted the Stockholm City Archives via a friend of mine in Sweden, and I will ask them to do a search based on the information that I know.  Again, your assistance in finding out this information about Carl August has been extremely helpful, and I will certainly keep you up to date on what I learn.  Thanks again!

2000-05-02, 23:48
Svar #6

Eva Leksell

Excellent, Jim, that you have got someone to help you in the contacts with the archives here. I really hope you will be able to trace your ancestor and it will be very nice to learn what you may find out.

2000-05-23, 22:40
Svar #7

Eva Leksell

Jim, I have to tell you that my hypothesis about Carl August Bayard being the father of Otto William was wrong. I checked a little more at the Stockholm city archives. When Carl August B died in 1889 4th of November in Stockholm, there was only one son of his, Carl Emil, and three daughters. In the bouppteckning of 11th of December these were the children mentioned. And in his will written in Februari the same year nothing about any other children.

Well, I made a try and I am sorry it did not give the wanted results. I still hope you will be able to trace your Otto William Bayard.

2000-05-25, 21:57
Svar #8

Jim Bayard

Eva, thank you for checking on this hypothesis and letting me know.  Is there a way that the City Archives can look up individuals by birthdate?  In other words, are birthdates indexed?  Hopefully, they will be able to find something based on his birthdate, i.e April 20, 1862.  I guess, that one possibility that must be considered is that maybe he changed his last name completely, i.e. Anderson, Nilsson, Swenson, etc. to Bayerd.

He continues to be very elusive and difficult to trace.  Every lead seems to go no where, but again, I hope that he can be found.  Thanks again for your help.

2002-07-07, 22:34
Svar #9

Jim Bayard

I would like to please ask someone to do a lookup on the new Gamla Stan CD for my great grandfather, Otto Bayerd (Bayard)or Otto Johansson, to see if he may have lived in Gamla Stan at some point.  My great grandpa had listed Stockholm as his birthplace.

In case that Stockholm was not his birthplace, a good candidate for my great grandfather may be an Otto Johansson born on 20 April 1862 in Nöbbele, Kronaberg, who left his home parish in 1880 and emigrated via Kalmar in 1882.  This Otto Johansson had a brother named Per August, who was born in 1840 and emigrated in 1870.  I am thinking that this Per August might be my great grandpa's brother, A. Bayerd.

I just want to rule out Stockholm as the origins of my great grandpa, and I want to thank you for your help.

2002-07-08, 11:12
Svar #10

Utloggad Sven-Ove Brattström

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3276
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-09, 14:25
  • Bilden är gammal, mera rynkor nu :)
    • Visa profil
Hi Jim!
You mention that Otto Wilhelm was a trained coppersmith. Such a trade had to be learned from a master. Maybe he wasn?t the son of Carl August Bayard, mentioned above, but were working for him. Or maybe he worked in Carl Emil Bayards factory as a common worker ?
Then, after immigration, he may have used his former employers familyname as his own.
Brattis (före 2004 Linewizard) = Sven-Ove Brattström

2002-07-08, 16:23
Svar #11

Jim Bayard

Hi Sven-Ove,
Thank you for responding.  Yes, I have thought about this possibility, but unfortunately, the only information that I have on my great grandpa is that he was born on 20 Apr. 1862 in Stockholm, immigrated to the US in 1880, and had a brother, A. Bayerd in the US. The only reference to his training as a coppersmith was made in an affadavit by his wife following his death. For most of his life in the US, he was a sailor in the US Navy and a common laborer.  It is not too much information to go on, and I have been searching for over 15 years.  
Based on prior searches by the Stockholm City Archives,  there was no Otto or Otto Wilhelm born this date in Stockholm.  I have also checked the abstracts of births for the surrounding län, but alas, no Otto's born on April 20th.   Earlier this year, someone had passed on the information relating to Otto Johansson.  Otto Johansson is the first Otto that I have ever found born on April 20th.  Although Otto Johansson emigrated via 1882, when he left Östra Torsås parish, he had left Nöbbele in 1880.  Furthermore, according to Växjo,  there were three Otto's born in the month of April that emigrated, and this Otto was the only one within the general time frame of 1880-1882.  Of course, I believe that Växjo does not have the Stockholm emigration records on their database.  Finally, the parents of Otto Johansson were dead by 1904, so this might explain why my grandfather did not know anything about his patrenal grandparents.

Again, not too much information, but maybe, this is a good case to try Y chromosome DNA testing:-).

2002-07-08, 16:28
Svar #12

Jim Bayard

Hi Sven-Ove,

One last item I forgot to mention is that my great grandpa used the spelling Bayerd more often than Bayard.  It was only later that my great uncle standardized the spelling of our name.   My great uncle had indicated that he had changed the last name when he arrived in the US, but he did bot know what the previous name was.   Based on some general research, the name Bayard appears in Kronoberg at the Kristianstad garrison, and the IGI Index (Familysearch.com) site has two Bayerd's listed as having been born in Lungby.  This is the only time that I have seen the spelling Bayerd beside my great grandpa.

2005-03-07, 21:05
Svar #13

Jim Bayard

Hi,

Would it be possible to request a look up for this Otto in the Register till Stockholms mantalsböcker 1800-1875?  Again, I believe he was born in April 1862, but I do not think that his original name ws Bayard or Bayerd.  More likely, it was Johansson or Nilsson.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna