ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Otto Johnson, Lockport, Will County, Illinois, emigration 1868  (läst 498 gånger)

2005-08-26, 09:59
läst 498 gånger

Utloggad Lars Jonsson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 127
  • Senast inloggad: 2021-04-11, 18:38
    • Visa profil
Hi!

I am looking for information about the descendants of Otto Johnson who emigrated from Sweden to Lockport, Will County in Illinois 1868.

Otto was born May 7 1835 in Månhöjden, Gåsborn parish, Värmland in Sweden. He was a shoemaker.

I have found a Biography that I believe talks abut Otto: Otto JOHNSON, boot and shoe shop, Lookport; was born in Farnabo Co., Sweden, May 8, 1838; he immigrated to America in 1868, and settled in Lockport, IL, where he has resided ever since; Mr. JOHNSON has resided in the same house ever since he came to Lockport, first entering it as a boarder, and, later, purchasing it for himself. He was married Nov. 2, 1871, to Lizzie MATTHEWS, a native of England; has two children - Louie G., John H. Republican; member of the Swede Lutheran Church. Besides work of his own manufacture, he keeps on hand a fine assortment of ladies' and children's ready-made wear; he uses nothing but the best of stock in the manufacture of his boots and shoes, and warrants entire satisfaction. The Biography comes from the book Biographies from History of Will County, Illinois Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co. 1878.

I have Otto's anscestors for many generations.

Regards Lars

2005-08-26, 13:23
Svar #1

Jan Ek (Janek)

As a starting point you can look at the enumerations i US census 1870 and 1880, I located both. (mailing you the images)

In census 1870 he was easy to find in Lockport as described in the biography. He is boarder in the home of a German barber Henry Dumke(?) 24, the barbers wife Louisa 20 from NY, newborn daughter Clara and a 13 year old boy, Frederick Voight barber and boarder (apprentice?). Otto Johnson is 33, shoemaker from Sweden.

In census 1880 the address is Washington Street in Lockport. (Source ED 205, p 7)
Otto Johnson 42, shoe store, wife Lizzie 32 from England, son Louis 6, son John 5, daughter Jennie 2. They also have a servant, Loisa Winson(?) 15 years old. I guess they turned the barber shop into a shoe store.  

The challenge now will be to make the jump to the 1900 or later censuses with common names as Louis/Lewis and John Johnson to look for. (Or other records) It appears as if Otto could be deceased in 1900, a quick search doesn't show him in index for Will county. But he can have moved elsewhere, if so, hopefully not into Chicago  

A suggestion would be you try obtaining copies of the childrens birth certificates from Will county, to have full birthdates as a foundation for further searches. Supposing the parents didn't leave Lockport a local search for death certificates and obituaries could also be fruitful.

Another avenue to pursuit could be looking for a possible marriage in Lockport for daughter Jennie. That also assumes the family stayed on in Will county.

A third route could be to look for parish records, given the connection with the Lutheran church mentioned in the biography.

Maybe others can help you pick up the thread from here, or have additional advice.

2005-08-30, 18:23
Svar #2

Chuck Mäki

I checked church records at Swenson Swedish Immigration Center here in Rock Island.
Swedish Evan. Lutheran Zion Church in Lockport did not list Otto Johnson as a member.  I did not see him as a father in any of the 1875 baptisms and he did not appear on their funerals lists up thru 1900.
I did not see Otto Johnson in the membership indexes of the Covenant Community Church in Lockport.

As to the Bio, I would theorize that Otto said he ATTENDED the Swedish church and the publisher interpreted that as being a member.

Bottom line:  nothing at all in the Swedish church records.

Chuck

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna