ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: John Viktor Andersson - Emigration Ship and date of departure?  (läst 2838 gånger)

2004-12-29, 01:33
läst 2838 gånger

John Anderson

I have been looking for the date of departure for my Grandfather, John Victor Anderson.  He was known as Victor.

He was born September 1, 1907 in Lungsund, Värmland to Fredrik Andersson and Maria Reinholdsson.  

I believe he came to America in 1920.  He contracted Diptheria while waiting to board ship in Gotborg and the ship was supposedly delayed waiting for him to recover from the illness.  I believe he travelled with an Aunt, Ruth Marie Andersson, b. August 16, 1904.

I have tried to find the ship and date of departure from Sweden and arrival in the U.S. with no luck so far.  A search of the Ellis Island database did not turn him up.  I think perhaps his port of arrival in the U.S. may have been Boston instead of New York.

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John

2004-12-29, 02:43
Svar #1

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
John,

From the Emihamn database of CD Emigranten (the Emigrant CD):

First name: JOHAN V
Last name: ANDERSSON
Parish: LUNGSERED     County: S (Värmland)
Port: GÖTEBORG
Date: 1920 01 10
Destination: NEW YORK
Fellows: JA
Source: 105:35:3192

First name: MARIA
Parish: BJURTJÄRN     County: T (Örebro)
Date: 1920 01 10 (January 10)
Fellows: NEJ

First name: RUTH
Parish: LUNGSERED     County: S
Date: 1920 01 10
Fellows: JA

Judy

2004-12-29, 02:46
Svar #2

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
John,

Cradled in Sweden lists Bjurtjärn as a parish in Värmland, so maybe that T code for the county was a typo.

Judy

2004-12-29, 03:05
Svar #3

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
John,

From the Ellis Island site:

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html

I found him on that database! He was listed as 12, not 13. The ship was the Stockholm.

http://tinyurl.com/5zajd

http://tinyurl.com/6bp6h

Perhaps this place has some records on them, since they went to Rock Island, one of several towns in Rock Island County. Records won't be online.

http://www.richs.cc/

The Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center is a wonderful resource, but they don't have online records either.

http://www.augustana.edu/administration/SWENSON/

Judy

2004-12-29, 03:25
Svar #4

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
John,

Maybe this is the brother/uncle they were meeting.

From Arkion 1900:

http://www.arkion.se

Homeparish: Lungsunds
Residence: Brosäter
County: Värmlands
SVARvolume: CB1172  Card nr: 1
Page: 29  Row: 25

Persons in the household
Fam nr: 1
Gustaf Adolf Reinholdsson f. 1875 in Bjurkärn, Örebrol.(Örebro län = county), dagkarl (day laborer)
wife Charlotta Gustafsson f. 1871 in Lungsund
d. Rut Charlotta f. 1899 in Lungsund
Fam nr: 2
Axel Andersson f. 1879 in Fernebo (Färnebo), dräng (farmhand)

This may be the Maria Andersson who traveled with your grandfather. This also comes from Arkion 1900.

Homeparish: Lungsunds
Residence: Svendsta
County: Värmlands
SVARvolume: CB1172  Card nr: 1
Page: 22  Row: 34

Persons in the household
Fredrik Andersson f. 1875 in Lungsund, dagkarl
wife Maria Charlotta Reinholdsd:r (Reinholdsdotter) f. 1877 in Bjurkärn, Örebro l
s. Fredrik Emanuell f. 1899 in Bjurkärn, Örebro l

The brother they were meeting in 1920 is living with Maria Charlotta in this household.

From Arkion 1890:

Homeparish: Bjurkärns
Residence: Bresäter, 14 mntl.
County: Örebro
SVARvolume: 000335  Card nr: 19
Page: 9  Row: 49

Persons in the household
Reinhold Andersson f. 1850 in Kroppa, Värml. l., Backst. (owned a tiny cottage and a tiny piece of land, I think)
wife Maria Lisa Jakobsdotter f. 1840 in Bjurkärn
s. Gustaf Adolf f. 1875 in Bjurkärn
d. Maria Charlotta f. 1877 in Bjurkärn
s. Emil Martin f. 1880 in Bjurkärn
s. Axel Teodor f. 1882 in Bjurkärn

Judy

2004-12-29, 03:47
Svar #5

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
John,

This may be Fredrik Emanuell, born 1899, listed above in 1900 as son of Fredrik Andersson and Maria Charlotta Reinholdsdotter. Moline is right next to Rock Island, Illinois. It is one of the Quad Cities, including Davenport and Bettendorf in Iowa.

First name: FREDRIK E
Parish: VÄSE     County: S
Date: 1913 10 10
Destination: MOLINE IL
Source: 99:622:5995

He may have traveled with the people from Bjurtjärn, where his mother was born.

NYGREN        ANNA          29    AMERIKA       US    1913   AMERIKA
  HANES         AUGUSTA       24    AMERIKA       US    1913   CHICAGO ILLS
  VESTHOLM      KAROLINA      63    BJURKÄRN      T     1913   GARY IN
  HEDSTRÖM      VIKTOR L      23    BJURTJÄRN     S     1913   CHICAGO ILLS
  FRANSSON      EMIL          19    BJURTJÄRN     T     1913   GENESEO
  ANDERSSON     FREDRIK E     14    VÄSE          S     1913   MOLINE IL
  SVENSSON      ARTHUR V      19    VÅRDNÄS       E     1913   BRADDOCK PA
  KARLSSON      IDA           29    AMERIKA       US    1913   NEW YORK
  GUSTAFSSON    AMALIA        32    AMERIKA       US    1913   BOSTON
  MAGNUSSON     PETTER        42    AMERIKA       US    1913   NEW YORK

This seems to be one of the other brothers of Maria Charlotta.

First name: AXEL T
Last name: REINHOLDSSON
Parish: BJURTJÄRN     County: S (Värmland)
Date: 1907 08 02 (August 2)
Destination: MOLINE ILL
Source: 84:310:74768

This person traveled at the same time from that parish to the same destination.

First name: AND F
Parish: BJURTJÄRN     County: T (Örebro)
Date: 1907 08 02
Destination: MOLINE IL
Source: 84:310:74769

I am thoroughly confused about the län Bjurtjärn is in. :-)

Judy

2004-12-29, 08:51
Svar #6

Utloggad Bengt Nordstrand

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 228
  • Senast inloggad: 2012-04-16, 20:29
    • Visa profil
Hej
Bjurtjärn belonged to Karlskoga härad, which is the only part of Värmland that belonged to Örebro län (T), nothing to be confused about.  
Lungsund, Kroppa etc. were in Färnebo härad, which was in Värmlands län (S).  

Bengt

2004-12-29, 15:59
Svar #7

Utloggad Jeff Benson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 158
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-10-12, 04:56
    • Visa profil
Hi all,

To clarify what Bengt said just a little, Bjurtjärn is considered part of Värmland landskap (province) but Örebro län (county).

Jeff

2004-12-29, 17:52
Svar #8

John Anderson

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU Judy!  There's so much information there, I don't know where to start!

I can't believe you found him so quickly!  You don't know how many hours I spent going through the Ellis Island microfilms one by one looking for him!

That is indeed my Fredrik!  I was born in Moline where they emigrated to and am very familiar with the Quad Cities area.

Again, thank you very much and I definitely owe you a beer or two if I ever get to Sweden!

John

2004-12-29, 17:58
Svar #9

John Anderson

Thank you Bengt and Jeff.  I have run into this before, that Karlskoga is counted as part of Örebro län but actually in Värmland landskap.

Thank you for the clarification!

John

2004-12-29, 18:10
Svar #10

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4039
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-12, 18:31
    • Visa profil
John - Judy actually is in Illionis - so you might get the opportunity sooner than you think ;-).

I've beome curious on some of your questions over the last week - you seem to have a lot of Swedish text to translate where not all of it seems to come from the church books. Loose parts of texts might be more difficult to translate than full/larger parts because you need the context of the text.  

Have you mangaged to get across Swedish Roots - the English part of the E-zine Rötter? Click on Rötter and then on Swedish Roots. There are also links to a lot of other pages.

Kind regards,
Eva

2004-12-29, 19:29
Svar #11

John Anderson

Judy,

Are you in the Quad Cities?  I guess I shouldn't make assumptions about where people are from on this forum.  I have an Aunt and cousins still in Moline with whom I have been sharing the results of my research, so I may be going there soon to visit.

Eva,

Yes, I have large amounts of information in Swedish on my ancestors, sent to me by relatives in Sweden.  I have broken it up into small bits as I have not wanted to overwhelm anyone here on the forum.  I also have tried to translate as much of it as I can myself with the on-line dictionary so that I don't have to ask someone else to do it, but some things just don't translate correctly with the on-line dictionary.  And trying to figure out where to break up the long, combination words has been a real challenge.

Thank you for the Rötter link.  I will try that.

Regards,

John

2004-12-30, 01:34
Svar #12

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi Bengt and Jeff,

My confusion came from the listing of Bjurtjörn in the län Örebro and Värmland. I am aware about the meaning/and difference between län and landskap but they were labeled as län. I wondered if the border had changed, perhaps, but I did know that the län don't necessarily all belong to the same landskap.

I appreciate your clarifications, though.

Judy

2004-12-30, 01:46
Svar #13

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
John,

I live in a suburb of Chicago (Orland Park, southwest of the city) but I am very familiar with the Quad Cities since I attended and graduated from Augustana College in Rock Island in the 1960s. I have done a lot of research at the Swenson Center at Augie (a nickname for Augustana; Swedes may not know that nickname.), but I won't be going there any time soon. The main road to Rock Island (Interstate 80) goes through some very lonely country and I wouldn't want to be stranded there (in case of bad weather, car trouble, etc.) in the winter.

I'm glad I was able to find him. The Arkion database and CD Emigranten were very helpful and I like that particular version of the Ellis Island database better than the official version. It also helps to be flexible about ages (since there may have been some lying about ages to save money, etc. on fares) and it is best to not put too much information into the search form.

By the way, I misspelled Bjurtjärn in the last post (just before this one) but realized it too late.

There are lots of old city directories and other goodies at the Rock Island County Historical Society in Moline, so if you have never been there, be sure to check. I've been there a few times and it has been helpful to me.

I'm glad to see that you try to translate as much as possible by yourself. I found that helped me a great deal, and actually, I try not to use those online translators. The more I struggle on my own, the more the language seems to stick in my mind.

Judy

2004-12-30, 15:35
Svar #14

Utloggad Jeff Benson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 158
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-10-12, 04:56
    • Visa profil
Hi Judy,

From reading your numerous posts in this and other boards, I know you are well versed in the distinctions between län and landskap. My comment was directed at those readers who might not be so well-informed. It _is_ a confusing topic.

You mention the parish lists in Cradled in Sweden. I have the same book and have noticed discrepencies between the CiS parish table and other sources, although generally they are minor. As a consequence, I have lately tended away from CiS as my parish reference. I now usually use Anbytarforum's Parish Search/Socken-Sok lookup.

Regards,
Jeff

2004-12-30, 17:49
Svar #15

John Anderson

Judy,

My Aunt & Uncle and cousins lived a few blocks away from Augustana.  I was born in 1963, and we visited there often.  When I was older, my cousin and I used to sneak onto the Augustana campus and use the swimming pool and weight room.  It is highly possible that at times while you were attending college there, I was literally within a mile or so of you.

I have never been to the Swenson Center as of yet, but I am planning to go there sometime soon.
I have a Vanity Book that was published at Augustana college sometime in the 1920's about Swedes in Illinois.  My grandfather (John Victor) is listed there, although some of the biographical data is incorrect.

There are alot of other Swedes listed in it, so if you want me to do a look-up, just let me know.

John

2005-01-05, 19:24
Svar #16

John Anderson

Judy,

I have another question for you.  In the emigration listings you provided from Arkion, there is a designation marked Fellows followed by capital letters such as NEJ.  

Is this referring to travelling companions, and what do the letters mean?

Thank you in advance,

John

2005-01-05, 21:13
Svar #17

Bo Johansson

JA = Yes, this person had companions
NEJ = No, this person travelled alone

But this note is not always correct.

// Bo Johansson

2005-01-06, 01:11
Svar #18

John Anderson

2005-01-06, 03:31
Svar #19

John Anderson

One more question...  In the post from Judy above from the Arkion database, it says:

Persons in the household  
Reinhold Andersson f. 1850 in Kroppa, Värml. l., Backst. (owned a tiny cottage and a tiny piece of land, I think  

What does the abbreviation Backst. stand for?

Thank you again for all your help,

John

2005-01-06, 04:17
Svar #20

Bo Johansson

Probably an abbreviation for backstusittare.

From  http://www.rootsweb.com/~swewgw/Fact/facdic02.htm

backstu(gu)sittare A person living in a cottage (not necessarily a backstuga ! ), located on someone else's land (like the torp) but without farming the land (different from torp). They were not employed by the land owner (like the statare) but earned their way through temporary jobs. Often used derog. since those were often poor people without a steady income.

// Bo Johansson

2005-01-06, 04:34
Svar #21

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Backst. = backstuga OR in this context probably backstugusittare (a person who sits = lives in a backstuga)

A backstuga was a small mean dwelling (can't call it a house really) for poor people. Though they were a cut above the ones designated fattighjon which meant poor people supported by the parish. A backstugusittare supported himself/herself and his/her family - just barely - by doing odd jobs, being a day labourer, for the farmers. They usually also had a garden where they grew potatoes and things.

A backstuga originally had only a couple of walls, the rest of the house was dug out from a hillside (hence the name hill cottage); later a backstuga could actually have four proper (well!) walls. This slightly better class of backstuga was not infrequently inhabited by local craftsmen, a shoemaker for example.
Several backstuga were often grouped together, representing the poorest part of the parish (we'd call it slum today) - this area was often called a tå. Some tå are preserved to this day as museums which you can visit. Here is one, Åsle tå:
http://www.skaraborgsbild.se/sevardheter/asleta/asleta.asp
(the houses are unfortunately lovingly cared for and it all looks a perfect idyll - which of course it wasn't).

A backstugusittare didn't own his cottage nor the land it was built on. If you were poor and wanted a backstuga you either talked to a landowner or - more commonly - the parish council. The parish council could give permission for a backstuga to be built on the commons. If you were an enterprising, energetic young man you would probably go for the landowner instead because chances were that you would be allowed to build on some remote part of his farm and that he would allow you to start cultivating some of that remote land. After a few years you'd have some fields going and if the owner liked what you were doing he'd take you on as a tenant - the backstuga would become a torp (a small croft with a proper tenant agreement). This alternative was not all that unusual, it was a good way for a farmer to get remote land that required a lot of work cultivated and start yielding.

Ingela

2005-01-06, 05:09
Svar #22

John Anderson

Thank you Bo and Ingela for that interesting tidbit of history.  It makes it clear why so many left for America.  Even if times were tough in America, they were still alot better than what one often had to look forward to at home!

Thanks again for such a quick and insightful response,

John

2005-01-06, 16:58
Svar #23

Kay Engman

John,
You will have better results in translating the old Swedish records and documents if you get a copy of this book:

Swedish Genealogical Dictionary
compiled by Phyllis J. Pladsen, Joseph C. Huber, and Eric B. Pladsen.  Published by Pladsen Sveria Press.  

It is worth it's weight in gold - I have been using it for about 17 years now.  It includes all the old words for illnesses, causes of death, and occupations which may not be in use now. You can probably purchase it from the Swedish American Historical Society and also from this site for sure:
http://home.netcom.com/~v31ry

Kay

2005-01-07, 01:31
Svar #24

John Anderson

Thanks Kay,  

I will definitely order that book right now!

John

2005-01-13, 03:15
Svar #25

John Anderson

Kay,

I ordered the Swedish Genealogical Dictionary that very day and recieved it in the mail yesterday!  

Thanks again,

John

2005-01-13, 21:22
Svar #26

Bror Gillström

Hej John!
I have some data regarding Reinhold Anderssons
relatives and ancestors. I also have a photo on
Reinhold Andersson and his wife Maria Lisa  
Jakobsdotter mm.
Your grandfather John Viktor Andersson where
cousin to my father in law Sven Rudolf Reinholdsson.
I think that John Viktors sister Rut Maria visitid
Karlskoga, Sweden sometimes in the 60?s.
I have also brothers and sisters to John Viktor
who not emigrate.
I have a quite big material. Send a CD to you
as soon as possible.
Regards
Bror Gillström

2005-01-15, 00:23
Svar #27

John Anderson

Hej Bror,

Yes, I believe she did visit!  I also have a transcript of an interview my cousin had with Ruth about her life that I can send to you if you are interested.

Thank you so much for sending the CD. You do have my address, don't you?

I also have many pictures of John Viktor and I think I may have some of Ruth also that I can send to you if you are interested.

2005-01-15, 01:04
Svar #28

John Anderson

Hej Bror,

Thank you for sending the CD.  I am very much looking forward to receiving that and finding out more about my Reinholdsson ancestors.  You do have my address right?

I think you are right about Ruth coming to Karlskoga.  I also have a written account of an interview with Ruth about her life.  Evidently, she passed away just a couple of years ago.  I can send you that written account if you are interested.

I also have alot of photos of John Viktor and I think I have some photos of Ruth too if you would like me to e-mail those to you.

Thanks again for sending the CD.  I can't wait!

John

2005-01-17, 17:51
Svar #29

John Anderson

Hej Bror,

Just in case you didn't get my e-mail with my address, here it is:

John Anderson
409 South Rapp
Columbia, IL

2005-01-18, 20:46
Svar #30

Bror Gillström

Hej John!
I have your adress.
Yesterday I have sent you a CD.

Bror Gillström

2005-01-18, 20:49
Svar #31

Bror Gillström

Hej John!
I have your adress.
Yesterday I have sent you a CD.

Bror Gillström

2005-01-19, 15:00
Svar #32

John Anderson

Thank you Bror,

I will let you know when I recieve it.  I am looking forward to it very much.

John

2005-01-23, 21:05
Svar #33

John Anderson

Bror,

I recieved the CD and the materials you sent.  They got here fast!  It always amazes me how quickly things get here from Sweden.  

The letter arrived Thursday and the postmark in Sweden says 2005-1-17 on it.  So that means it made it here in about 4 days!

I have not yet had time to really get into the information that you sent, but some of it is already a revelation.

I have an account from Rut Marie where she talks about how her father Fredrik died.  She says that he was working out in the field one day and that she remembers some men bringing him in in a wheel barrow and that he was injured.  She says he died about a week later.

You say it says in the records that it was a fishing accident which she never mentioned.  That is very interesting.  I wonder what exactly happened to him.

I do have much information on the Reinholdsson's and their descendents which I think would be of interest to you.  

Perhaps I can send you a CD also since your e-mail won't handle the pictures.  

I would also like any information you have working backward in time from Reinhold Andersson and Maria, and also Anders Jonsson.

Thank you so much also for the pictures!

I recognized the Karlskoga Kyrka in the painting even before I had translated your letter.  I have some very old posrcard pictures of it.  I will include those on the disc also.

If you can't read this letter, I will try my best to translate it into Swedish, but I don't know how good the results will be.

Your cousin-in-law,

John

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna