ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Johan August Johansson Torup/Halland-Des Moines/USA  (läst 478 gånger)

2005-07-26, 13:26
läst 478 gånger

Stefan Lejon

Hello

1922 my grandmothers uncle, Johan August Johansson, emigrated to U.S.A. He was borned in Torup (Halland) 1898-10-04. With his wife Ragna he got at least one son, Carl Marvin (b. 1928-09-26?). From a letter to Sweden from the 1940's there is an address to him;  

John Johnson
906-Marton ave
Des Moines 16 Iowa

John Johnson is probably Johan August Johanssons new name. Could anyone help me get information how I best can get in contact with Johan August Johanssons children or grandchildren, I would be grateful.

Best regards Stefan Lejon

2005-07-26, 16:23
Svar #1

Jan Ek (Janek)

Stefan,

The family is found on the address in the US census 1930 (ED 61, p 18B), but the street name is most likely MOrton Ave, not Marton.

John A Johnson 31, carpenter, immigration 1922. Wife Ragna M 38, born in Pennsylvania by Swedish parents. Son Marvin K 4 y 3 mo (2 mo?). House is owned and valued to 3600 dollars.

The only thing conflicting with your records would be the sons age, this census suggest he is born sometime early 1926. What source is your birthdate from?

If we guess Marvin stayed on in the house there might be a shortcut for you. If you go to Intelius and enter the address 906 Morton, Des Moines, IA in the address search, two records are returned. Since the ages of the couple living at the address are given as approx 70 and 79 it is my guess it's Marvin and wife. You can buy these two records for $7,95, and you then get the names plus phone number. You can't get it from the phone book, it's probably unlisted.

You can also try writing the address and hope you get contact. I think those owning the house today are likely to know something about earlier owners, should it be the wrong people. Todays zipcode is

906 MORTON AVE  
DES MOINES, IA 50316-1535

Here's a map for the address.

Good luck,
Jan

2005-08-01, 20:20
Svar #2

Kay Engman

Stefan,
In the U.S. Social Security Death Index, there is only one Ragna Johnson listed as living in Iowa at the time of death:

RAGNA M JOHNSON  
born:  07 Jun 1891
died:  07 February 1995
Last residence:  Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa
Social Security I.D. number:  483-58-5705

Is it possible for you to check her birth date in Sweden to see if this is the right Ragna?
Perhaps you could request a copy of her newspaper obituary from the Des Moines city library's newspaper archives.  The website address is:
http://www.pldminfo.org
If you click on Contact us at the top and then click on  Email our Reference Librarians, you can ask them how to get an obituary and if there is a fee. (I have found that some U.S. libraries can email a scan of the obituary - others will transcribe it and send by email.)
The obituary usually tells where the surviving family is living (in 1995).

Good luck!
Kay Engman

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna