ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Hegg, Charles August  (läst 598 gånger)

2005-01-26, 03:27
läst 598 gånger

Joy Eichmann Hegg

Hi,
I am hoping someone can help me solve the puzzle of my great grandfather.  I would like to know if he is on any lists in Granna Sweden.  Also if there is any information on when he left for America and who he went with.  I have very little information on him because he was only married to my great grandmother for nine years before he died.  The only paper I have on him is his death certificate. He died on May 25, 1893 in Chicago, Illinois. I have calculated that he was born on December 13, 1852.  I am not totally sure of this date. My great grandmother has listed Grena, Sweden as his birth place.  I am assuming she means he was from Granna. I don't know when he moved to America only that he was in Illinois for sure in 1881.  He married my great grandmother Sophie Berggren in 1884 in Chicago.  They had 6 children.  I am aware that his name might be spelled Hagg in Sweden.  I am also wondering if instead of Charles he could have used the name Karl.  I think the two are interchangable.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

2005-01-26, 07:37
Svar #1

Utloggad Ted Rosvall

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1256
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-09, 07:49
    • Visa profil
According to the Emibas database of Swedish emigrants, CARL AUGUST HÄGG, b 1852 Dec.13. in Gränna, emigrated 1881 May.11. from Nolbolte in Norra Kyrketorp parish (just south of Skövde in Västergötland, Skaraborgs län) to America.

Best wishes
TED ROSVALL

2005-01-26, 16:46
Svar #2

Jan Ek (Janek)

With reasonable certainty Carl August is the immigrant listed in the passenger manifest of the vessel Egypt, sailing from Liverpool England for NYC with the arrival date May 30 1881. He is listed as C A Hogg, 28 years, laborer. These early manifests are very sparse in information, and nothing very much interesting can be read.

It gives you a time of entry however, and the original which I mailed you can be a nice addition to your collections. You will find him about a third down the page. There isn't anyone else with the same last name on the list, but anyone could be a friend or other sort of relative of course. Ted's information suggests he travelled alone I guess?

Supposing the name Hägg was transcribed the same way, as Hogg, these are the other Swedish immigrants with the name arriving in 1881:

Name, Arrival Date, Estimated Birth Year, Gender, Port of Departure, Place of Origin, Destination, Ship Name  

Alma Hogg 7 Nov 1881  1879 Female  Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland  Sweden  United States of America  Britannic    
C A Hogg 30 May 1881  1853 Male  Liverpool, England  Sweden  United States of America  Egypt    
E G Hogg 23 May 1881  1855 Male  Glasgow, Scotland and Moville, Ireland  Sweden  United States of America  Furnessia    
Johanna Hogg 7 Nov 1881  1850 Female  Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland  Sweden  United States of America  Britannic    
Marie Hogg 6 Jun 1881  1858 Female  Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland  Sweden  United States of America  Helvetia    
Yohalb Hogg 7 Nov 1881  1846 Male  Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland  Sweden  United States of America  Britannic  

The three arriving in Nov are family, and Yohalb is of course a striking example of a first name being butchered. I can't even guess what the fathers name is. A research of Carls family from the birth in Gränna and onwards in the church records might reveal other relatives emigrating, and of course also other years than 1881.

The information above is gathered from the Ancestry database of indexed manifests 1851-1891, and the source is NARA microfilm, M237, rolls 95-580.

2005-01-26, 21:06
Svar #3

Utloggad Maud Svensson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 21976
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-19, 12:26
    • Visa profil
Carl August born Dec 13, 1852 at Jonstorp, Gränna parish, Jönköping county. Son of soldier Johannes Hägg and his wife Brita Månsdotter.

Married Dec 24, 1848 in Gränna:
Soldier Johannes Johannesson Hägg, Jonstorp, and maid Brita Månsdotter, Örserum Östergård.

Carl August had two sisters:
Hedvig b. Nov 15, 1849 at Jonstorp
Sofia b. Aug 29, 1855 at Jonstorp

Census 1890:
Home parish: Gränna
Residence: Åsmark Norregård
Johannes Hägg b. 1827 in Gränna
Wife Brita Månsdotter b. 1814 in Gränna

Census 1890 + 1900
Home parish: Linderås, Jönköping county
Residence: Bläsarp
Soldier Johannes Lindén b. 1854 in Adelöv, Jönköping county
? Wife Hedvig Hägg b. 1849 in Gränna
S. Karl Johan b. 1878 in Adelöv
D. Hilma Olivia Susanna b. 1881 in Linderås
D. Alma Viktoria Alexandra b. 1884 in Linderås
D. Ellen Maria Elisabet b. 1886 in Linderås
D. Ester Judith Adéle b. 1889 in Linderås
S. Algot Konrad Eugén b. 1891 in Linderås

Sofia Hägg not found 1890 or 1900.

Brita Månsdotter born Feb 25, 1814 at Mårtenstorp, Gränna. Daughter of farmer Måns Persson and his wife Brita Svensdotter.

This is probably Johannes Johannesson Hägg:
Johannes born Jan 28, 1827 at Jonstorp. Son of soldier Johannes Ulf and his wife Greta Ström.

Brita Månsdotter died at Åsmark Norregård, Gränna, Jan 11, 1897 at the age of 82 years, 10 months and 16 days.
Johannes Hägg died July 26, 1902 at Vretholm Bäckanäs, Gränna, 75 years old.

Source (when not census): http://apollo.oderland.com/~jbgf/bocker
Hälsar vänligen
Maud

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna