ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Hatchery built 1897 in either WI, MI or IL, Do you know of it?  (läst 2242 gånger)

2002-07-11, 22:00
läst 2242 gånger

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 542
  • Senast inloggad: 2014-07-04, 18:34
    • Visa profil
Hi out there!
I have in my possesion an old amatheur photo.
The picture shows a man, two women and a little girl.
The background shows a house with the year 1897 and the words ....... HATCHERY on the wall. (The first word is hidden behind a tree.)
Judging from the hats the women are wearing the picture might have been taken around 1920.

I have reason to believe that the area is eather Marinette county WI (maybe Marinette), Boone county IL (maybe Belvidere)  or Gladstone MI.  

It would mean a lot to me to know where the photo was taken because it might help me identifying the people on it. (And I'm very curious.)
If anyone think they know something, tell me and I'll e-mail the scanned picture.  

Hoping for your help
Barbro Ärnhage  
Stockholm Sweden

2002-07-11, 23:17
Svar #1

Utloggad Bo Berndtsson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3221
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 10:33
    • Visa profil

2002-07-12, 11:15
Svar #2

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Bo!
Of course you are right. I guess I just didn't know how to get the picture in the right format.
At the moment it is a .tif file.  
How do I convert that to a jpeg or gif?
I looked at the 'save as' but I didn't find those formats.
Perhaps you can help me?

2002-07-12, 17:58
Svar #3

Utloggad Siv Nauman

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 330
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-04-24, 22:33
    • Visa profil
You can send the photo to me by E-mail and I?ll fix it for you. And then I?ll post the photo here.
Kind regards
Med vänlig hälsning
Siv Nauman
siv.nauman@telia.com

2002-07-12, 22:05
Svar #4

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Thanks a lot Siv!
Photo coming right up.

Med vänlig hälsning  
Barbro Ärnhage

2002-07-15, 22:27
Svar #5

Utloggad Siv Nauman

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 330
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-04-24, 22:33
    • Visa profil

2002-07-18, 20:33
Svar #6

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Blomquist was the name of three of my mother's uncles who emigrated between 1892 and 1906.
Their first names were Sven (might be called Svante), Jonas and Emil.  
By 1920 they would have been between 44 and 54 years old.  
The man in the picture looks to be around that age, doesn't he? I think that either he is one of the Blomquist brothers or in some other way related to my mother.

I would be grateful for any help in identifying
the persons in the photo.

Kind regards  
Barbro Ärnhage

2002-08-02, 21:30
Svar #7

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
All three Blomquist brothers were born in Söderala parish.
Sven 11 sep 1866, Jonas 24 jul 1869 and Emil 1 march 1876.

Kind regards
Barbro Ärnhage

2003-10-18, 20:27
Svar #8

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Hej bäste anbytarvärd!
Kan du ta och flytta konversationen till rubriken Byggnader och miljöer?
Kanske någon kan få syn på den där och komma med någon id?.
Inläggen som rör själva publiceringen av bilden kan du ju bara ta bort.

Tackar på förhand!
Barbro

2003-10-22, 06:11
Svar #9

Chuck Maki

The hatchery in the foto did not appear to belong to the state of Michigan.  The Michigan DNR provides a nice history of their hatchery program and this building is not shown.
The Wisconsin state fish hatching program began in later - In 1899, Wisconsin started to replenish lakes with musky fry, grown from eggs incubated in glass jars at Woodruff, and eventually at 18 seasonal hatcheries in northern Wisconsin.

Perhaps the building is a federal hatchery?
Chuck

2003-10-22, 21:03
Svar #10

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Hi Chuck,  
Thanks a lot for your response!  
Now I know that a hatchery did not, as I thought, produce chicken.  
The areas I mentioned were the areas to which my mother's uncles emigrated according to the Emigranten CD. I assumed that the man on the photo is one of the uncles as I found the photo among my mother's belongings after her death.  

According to the CD Sven (Svante) and Emil (Jon) Blomqvist emigrated to Marinette county WI (maybe Marinette), while Jonas Blomqvist emigrated to Boone county IL(Belvidere).  

I have also on the net found a land record for a man called Jonas Blomqvist. Of course I don't know if it's 'my' Jonas.  
It was issued 30 Jan 1906 and states the following.  
Document #: 13435  
Serial #: MN3260_.294  
Sale Type: HOMESTEAD  
Acres: 0.0000 (Yes that what it says!)  
Meridian or Watershed: 5TH  
Parcel: Township 159 N, Range 45 W, Section 20  

Does anyone know what it means and how I can find the adress of that place?  

Best Regards  
Barbro

2005-03-06, 15:25
Svar #11

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Hi,
Looking closer at the photo I can see that the older woman resembles my mother. In that case she might be Maria Larsdotter who married Karl Gustaf Taberman and emigrated to Washburn, Bayfield county Wisconsin in 1893.
Maria was born 1866, so if my earlier assumption that the photo was taken in the twenties is right it would fit. She would have been around 55 years when the photo was taken.
Maria and Carl Gustaf had the children Carl, Edith and Roy between 1896 and 1900.

Best Regards
Barbro

2005-03-07, 04:59
Svar #12

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 354
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-11-29, 20:15
    • Visa profil
I will send your photo to whatever historical society that I can find on-line for the Bayfield County, WI area.  There is a fish hatchery at 131 S. 3rd Street, located between the towns of Washburn and Bayfield, Wisconsin.  Your Taberman ancestors appear in the 1920 census as living at 607 Pine Street in Washburn, Wisconsin (Bayfield County).  The father's name is Charles Taberman, his wife is Marie, and their son, Roy lives with them and is 19.  Their daughter, Edith (age 23) and her husband, Martin Thompson, live with them too.  The three men work at the same place, but it is hard to read.  Looks like Powder plant.  However, if that photo is from 1920, the ages of your ancestors do not fit.  There are no small daughters in 1920 in the Washburn family.  If this photo was taken later, then Edith may have had a daughter.  I do not have access to the 1930 census here at home - to see if they had a daughter.  They are also mentioned in the 1910 census for Washburn, WI.  At that time, Charles Taberman and wife lived on Pine Street, and their son, Carl A. was 16 and he worked as a printer at a newspaper.  His father was a machinist (same as in 1920).  Edith and her brother Roy were living at home and were in school.  I can send you this information next week, but I will be leaving for vacation tomorrow.  Send me an e-mail to remind me, and then I will look into these census imprints again.  The building in that photo does look typical of many Wisconsin buildings.  My family owns a summer home a little south of Bayfield County.

2005-03-07, 06:22
Svar #13

Utloggad Floyd Hallberg

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 99
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-02-22, 23:43
    • Visa profil
Hej Karen and Barbro,
Just some ideas to consider.
In regard to the hard to read powder plant, I remember there was a dynamite plant on Hwy 13,just south of Washburn, and I think it was in the village of Barksdale.  I think the plant started in World War I.

This plant was shut down about 1960, and the village has pretty much disappeared. Only a few small homes remain.  
On the other hand, maybe the men were working at an electrical power plant.  There was one in Ashland, Wisconsin.

There is a historical society building in downtown Washburn on Highway 13.  Or you might try contacting Northland College in Ashland, Wisconsin that may have collected the history of the area.
Mvh
Floyd Hallberg

2005-03-07, 12:44
Svar #14

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hello again!  Thanks for the information about the dynamite plant on Hwy 13.  That is probably where those men worked.  I will look into your family, Barbro, and try to find both the Bayfield County ancestors and also the others.  I live near Belvidere, Illinois, and I am sure there were no hatcheries there.  This is absolutely flat farmland, and there are only a few small lakes.  However, the communities along lakes in Michigan, especially along the Great Lakes, had buildings that looked much like the one in your photograph.  Next week I will look into that family too if you give me the details in an e-mail.

2005-03-07, 20:58
Svar #15

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Thank you Floyd and Karen!
As you can see on this discussion I already have information of some of 'my' emigrants.
I think that if I, with help like yours, could find out more about the hatchery it would be possible to identify the people standing in front of it and maybe...... find more living descendants. I'm not at all sure that the people are the Tabermans but I'm pretty sure that the older woman is related in some way to my mother.
I have also entered photos that the emigrants sent home into 'Porträttfynd' on this site.
If you care to look at them you will find a few places that might lead to the hatchery.
Just enter porträttfynd and search for #27148 and you will hopefully find them.

Regards
Barbro Ärnhage

2005-03-12, 00:17
Svar #16

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
About the hatchery photograph: I do not have access to the 1930 U.S. census.  Could someone who has access look up Martin and Edith Thompson.  On the 1920 census they were living with Edith's parents, Chas. and Marie Taberman and a brother of Edith's - Roy Taberman (19 years old)in Bayfield County, Wisconsin, in the town of Washburn.  Edith Thompson would be about 33 years old in 1930, and her husband, Martin Thompson, would be 40 years old.  I was wondering if the Thompsons had a daughter by 1930.  If so, that photograph of the hatchery might include Martin and Edith Thompson, and Edith's mother, Marie Taberman ... and Edith's daughter - if she had one.

2005-03-12, 20:06
Svar #17

Utloggad Mats Ahlgren

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4736
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-12-03, 17:58
    • Visa profil
From Census 1930:
Martin and Edith are living in Barksdale town, Bayfield County, Wisconsin.
They have a daughter, Dorothy M, 10 years old. They rent their home and have a radio.
Martin is, as I see it, fire inspector in someting that looks like Ex Powder Plant.
(Källa ED 1, 1B)

On a web page about the first world war  I find the following : For the manufacture of TNT  the Dupont powder Co. built and put into operation at Barksdale, Wisconsin a plant with a capacity of 2 million lbs. per month.  
So I guess this is the place where Martin worked

Mats

Mats

2005-03-12, 22:38
Svar #18

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
I estimate the age of the little girl to about 4 years. Agree?  
Then, if it shows the Taberman family, the photo would have been taken around 1924.
Marie Taberman was born in Sweden 1866 and was 58 years old 1924. Might fit though I thought that a 58-yearold might look a little older in the 1920-ies?!  

Barbro

2005-03-13, 01:00
Svar #19

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
I think that the photo might be the Taberman family in 1924, and I think that the woman who might be Marie could definitely be 58.  It is hard to judge, since they have coats and hats on, but the man is definitely older than his wife (and Martin was 44 in 1924, and Edith was 37). The clothing is similar to what would be worn around 1925, and the little girl's age matches.  What other ancestors might fit those ages and have a daughter?
Karen

2005-03-13, 20:25
Svar #20

Utloggad Barbro Ärnhage

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Karen, I think you are right.
Emma Gustava Svärd/Holgren (my mother's cousin) was born 1879 and would by to young to be the older woman in the picture.
Of course there might be some other emigrant that I haven't found yet but that would have to be a more distant relative and the woman looks a lot like my mother when she was around 60 years old.
Barbro

2005-03-14, 00:09
Svar #21

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Just in case anyone is interested in that powder plant where the Taberman men and Martin Thompson worked, there are a few websites that tell about it.  In fact, the old Dupont dynamite plant is now an EPA clean-up site, according to one of the sites I read: http://www.epa.gov/region5/sites/dupont/ There is another paragraph about that plant on the Washburn historical site, which includes the opening of the Barksdale dynamite plant: http://cityofwashburn.org/History.htm.  It provided MANY jobs in that area, especially during World War I.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna