ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Folke Herman Göthe or Folke Herman  (läst 1187 gånger)

2005-05-20, 21:13
läst 1187 gånger

Utloggad Pär Arvstrand

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 360
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-12-18, 10:38
    • Visa profil
Looking after Folke Herman Göthe born in Kungsör in Juin 1900, lived in both Detriot and Chicago, worked at Cadillac and Ford a.s.o
last known adress is
Fina & Folke Herman
 7982 W 100 st
 R#1. Box 281
 Palos Park Ill
 USA.
Regards Pär A

2005-05-21, 09:28
Svar #1

Jan Ek (Janek)

Folke is enumerated in the 1930 census in Chicago. (Palos Park is in south Chicago)

He is indexed as Heman Gothe, written down as Herman Gothe, 29, single, immigrated 1923. He is a lodger at 632 West 60th Street, and work as a machinist in an autoshop. He has filed first papers with intention to become a citizen.

Source: ED 599, page 9A.

He is easily found at Ellis Island as Folke Herman Gothe 1923, arriving NY January 9 1923 at the Drottningholm. In the manifest he gives the contact address brother-in-law Carl Emil Carlson 243 East 78th St NY.

I guess he had a sister who emigrated too?

Regards, Jan

2005-05-22, 00:10
Svar #2

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Palos Park is not inside of Chicago. It is a beautiful suburb southwest of Chicago. It is the most prestigious of several suburbs which also have Palos as part of the name. It is often called The Park by natives of that town.

http://www.palospark.org/history.htm

Neither one of those people are listed in the Chicago Suburban Telephone Directory for September 1938. I don't see them in our older phone books for Chicago either. We have 1933, 1938, and 1943 in our genealogical library. Lots of people didn't have a phone back then.

They aren't in the Chicago City Directory for 1928-1929 either. (That lists people by occupation and address.) I tried all the names listed above.

You didn't provide the time period of the address you listed.

I don't see them in the online Illinois Death Index 1916-1950.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/GenealogyMWeb/idphdeathsrch.html

Good luck!

Judy

2005-05-22, 04:56
Svar #3

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
There is someone named Folke Herman who died in Cass County, Texas, on 2 October 1977. I don't know if he is yours. I found this on the www.ancestry.com website.  

Texas Deaths, 1964-98 has 1 match for:  
Folke Herman in United States  

Index of death records from the Texas Department of Health for the years 1964-1998. More information below  

Name:    Folke Herman  
Death Date:    02 October 1977  
Death County:    CASS  

For additional information contact the Texas Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics by writing to P.O. Box 12040, Austin, TX 78711-2040 or calling (512) 458-7111. You may also visit the Texas Department of Health website.

Source Information:
Texas Department of Health. Texas Death Index, 1964-1998. [database on-line] Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2000-. Original electronic data from:Texas Department of Health. Texas Death Indexes, 1964-1998. Austin, TX. Texas Department of Health. State Vital Statistics Unit, 19xx-.

A woman named Josephine (who might be your Fina since the ph sounds like an f) also died in Cass County, Texas, on 3 January 1975.

Name:    Josephine Herman  
Death Date:    03 January 1975  
Death County:    CASS  

Judy

2005-05-22, 09:43
Svar #4

Jan Ek (Janek)

Judy,

Her name is indeed Josephine as posted by Pär in the . Actually the information is spread three ways, but should be linked back now. The address in Palos Park is from 1952.

A retirement in Texas isn't very strange, and can be caused by other (younger?) family members' presence there. Personally I think you found the right couple in Cass.

Further, since Pär state June 1900 as the time of birth for Folke, this is possibly a related person who posted parts of a family genealogy including the Hermans: David Fant. I suggest you contact him Pär.

From this information you can also gather a little about Josephine's background, being born Josephine Davis 10 Aug 1904, her parents name and her first marriage among other things.

Regards Jan

2005-05-22, 21:22
Svar #5

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi Jan and Pär,

I also have a strong feeling that this is probably the right couple. Since Folke hadn't completed the naturalization process in 1930, his naturalization papers should be very informative. My dad's papers from 1933 included his birthdate and birthplace, occupation, how he traveled to the U.S., the name of his wife and her birth information, his date of marriage, etc. There was a question about the names of children and their birthdates too.  

Folke seemed to have lived in Illinois for a while, so I suppose his naturalization records will be held at the National Archives (NARA) branch in Chicago. Pär should try to obtain those papers. If he is in the naturalization index there, it shouldn't cost much, although the postage to Sweden will be more than the postage to U.S. citizens. They charge a small fee for the cost of copying (but usually there will be only three or four pages, so that fee isn't large) and then it would be free if picked up. The U.S. cost for delivery by mail might be $10, but I don't remember for sure since I picked up the copies. I searched the index for Dad's records, so I don't know if there is a fee for searching the index.

http://www.archives.gov/facilities/il/chicago.html

Judy

2005-06-02, 19:12
Svar #6

Utloggad Pär Arvstrand

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hallo thank for all your help both Judy and Jan.
Yes Folke had a sister Hildur Kornelia Göthe(1895-1990) how first lived in New York there she married Carl Emil Carlson from Norway, they moved to San Francisco Calif. with there to children Charles and Susie. But the contact was brooken with these also when my grandmother died in 1952.
Folke went home too Sweden after 1923 to do he's military service and returned to US in 1924 or 1925.
Best regards
Pär

2005-06-03, 05:13
Svar #7

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Pär,

Here is the emigration of Hildur.

First name: HILDUR CORNELI
Last name: GÖTHE
Parish: STOCKHOLM STAD     County: A
Title/Note: TJÄNARINNA
Port: STOCKHOLM
Date: 1914 10 10
Destination: NEW YORK
Fellows: NEJ
Source: 1914 285

I suppose that Folke Herman is probably this man.

First name: FOLKE HERMAN
Parish:      County: AB
Title/Note: MASKINSKÖT
Port: STOCKHOLM
Date: 1922 12 22
Destination: NEW YORK NY
Source: ST 1922:683

It looks as if he sailed from Stockholm to Göteborg. I think he is the same person.

First name: FOLKE
Parish: NACKA     County: B
Title/Note: MASKINSKÖTAR
Port: GÖTEBORG
Date: 1922 12 30
Source: 108:1715:46016

The Social Security Death Index lists this Hildur C. Carlson who is probably yours. Does the birthdate match?

Name Birth Death Last Residence Last Benefit SSN Issued  

HILDUR C CARLSON  13 Sep 1895 19 Jun 1990 (not specified) (none specified) 552-34-8127 California  

You can send for her Social Security application. It costs a lot, though. ($27)

Judy

2005-06-05, 10:44
Svar #8

Utloggad Pär Arvstrand

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hallo thank you, that?s Hildur Kornelia Christina is Folke's elderly sister thats correct, she was born in a small town namned Nyköping/Nykoeping Nikolai församling/congreation. She first moved to New York were she met here husbund Carl Emil Karlsson from Norway.
But on Folke there must be more travel to US you see he was at home in 1923 to do he,s military sevice in Sweden, and F was born in the town Kungsör, Kung Kars congreation. The familie moved a lot beacuse there father were at the Swedish railway.
Thanks again for all your help
Regards
Pär A

2005-06-07, 01:32
Svar #9

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hej Pär,

I was at the Chicago branch of the National Archives (NARA) today. I checked the naturalization index and found your Folke Herman Göthe. They were able to get the records for me while I was there. I will send them to you if you want them.

There are four pages of information. He apparently landed in the port of New York on 9 January 1923. He sailed on the S.S. Drottningholm. He was born in Kungsor (Kungsör) on 16 June 1900. His last residence was Stockholm and he left Sweden from the port of Gothenburg. (Göteborg)

Folke Herman was 23 years old when he applied on 13 September 1923 to the District Court of the United States in the Eastern District of Michigan, Southern Division to declare his intention to become a citizen. He was described as having fair complexion, fair hair, weighing 159 pounds, and having a height of 5 feet 7 inches. He had blue eyes. He was a laborer who lived at 5750 Wabash Avenue in Detroit. He was not married. His signature is Folke Herman Göthe.

Folke Herman petitioned to become a citizen in the U.S. District Court of Northern District, Illinois, Chicago, Illinois. Now he was a machinist. He still wasn't married. He now lived at 632 West 60th Street in Chicago and signed his name as Folke Herman Goethe.He also petitioned at that time to change his name to Folke Herman.

There is a lot of legal language but it seems that he became a citizen on 10 June 1930.

I could try to scan the four pages and send them as an attachment or I could sent them as snail mail.  

His signature was very nicely written. He probably had beautiful handwriting.

Judy

2005-06-07, 01:55
Svar #10

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Pär,

I looked again on CD Emigranten and found Folke with a different spelling of his name. He had been to the U.S. already, so this supports your information that he had returned to Sweden.

First name: FOLKE
Last name: GOTHE
Parish: CHICAGO IL     County: US
Title/Note: F KUNG KARLS (född Kung Karls)
Port: GÖTEBORG
Date: 1925 01 10 (January 10)
Source: 115:87:3232277

Judy

2005-06-07, 03:08
Svar #11

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Pär,

I have already scanned the four pages, just in case you want to receive them by e-mail. However, I am never very sure of my scanning abilities. If the pages aren't readable on your computer, or if you don't like to receive attachments, then it won't be difficult to mail them to you.

I could also send them to someone else (I certainly don't know who, though.)who knows how to put them on this board. I don't know how to put images on the board.

Please let me know what you want me to do.

Judy

2005-06-07, 18:41
Svar #12

Utloggad Pär Arvstrand

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hallo thank you for your help, I send you and email so you can return it with the scanned papers. I shall scann a photo pn Folke and send to you.
I have a lots of photos from Chicago that Folke has taken. I remember specielly one where he has been photoed by the Schiller staty in Chicago.  
You see in the beginning of 1930 - Folke sent home most of he's belongins to my grandmother he'e elderly sister and he wrote to her that he was moving back to sweden, but something happend that made him to stay maby it was Josephine I don't know.
Regards P

2005-06-07, 21:06
Svar #13

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hej Pär,

I sent the records to you just now. I haven't yet received any email from you. I used the address found by clicking on your name.

If you still want me to mail you the papers, just privately send me your mailing address. It won't be a problem to mail them to you.

Judy

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna