ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: At the end of immigrants' lives  (läst 489 gånger)

2003-09-10, 02:12
läst 489 gånger

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 354
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-11-29, 20:15
    • Visa profil
There have been many museum exhibits that show both the material and social contributions of immigrants to the culture of their adopted country.  However, these exhibits seldom reveal the longing for the old country that stays with them throughout their lives.  During their youth the immigrants are busy with friends and family- with trying to make a living in a new country- but in their old age, when the excitement of their youth has passed them by, then they begin to think about their native country - what it looked like, the relatives who were a part of their past, and the culture of the country they sailed away from.  I find that the things they leave behind are a clue to this longing, a physical tie to their youth.  My great-grandparents left us a leather box of letters from Sweden, rolled and tied with a satin ribbon.  I wish I could read them!  We also have inherited postcards from Denmark, musical instruments, Danish books of poetry, a clock, a hand-carved cigarette rolling machine, their family Bibles, and numerous items that reminded the old folks of their first home.  It feels good to touch those things, like I am touching both my own past and their past too.

2003-09-10, 09:45
Svar #1

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Karen, about the letters. We are still around here and we read Swedish, so it is not impossible to get them translated. And take care of them, so many letters have been destroyed by descendants that say nobody reads Swedish anymore, but they can contain much interesting information and vital clues for more research.

Or you could start learning Swedish, there are classes in many places in the U.S.

2003-09-10, 12:56
Svar #2

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 354
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-11-29, 20:15
    • Visa profil
Yes, I plan to learn Swedish, but any formal study must wait until next year, when I have more time.  This year I will attempt to learn it from books, before I go to class, and that may help me translate.  What poses a problem with letters from the late 19th century, however, is the changes in spelling and the script.  C's have become K's, and a number of terms have passed out of style.  Some words are more similar to German language than to modern Swedish.  I plan to have these translated at some time and I will not destroy any of them.  I have a degree in history so I recognize their value, and I am excited about using some of their content in the family history that I am writing.

2003-09-10, 14:03
Svar #3

Utloggad Monica Warnstam

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 342
  • Senast inloggad: 2014-03-03, 13:19
    • Visa profil
    • www.warnstam.se
Hi Karen!

Just for fun try this site:

http://www.geocities.com/athens/acropolis/1290/

The site is set up by Björn Engdahl and contains some basics about Swedish...

;-) Monica

2005-03-29, 20:43
Svar #4

John Anderson

Very cool link Monica!

I have seen many words written in Swedish but have yearned to learn the correct pronunciations.

Now I can go to this link and listen to them on the computer.  Reading written instructions on how to pronounce Swedish words just leaves something to be desired and I'm sure bad habits can be learned that way.

Thanks again for the link!

John

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna