ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Anna Brita Hansdotter  (läst 940 gånger)

2005-01-25, 22:58
läst 940 gånger

Pat Richardson

Seeking information for Anna Brita Hansdotter aka Hansson born 7/6/1853 in Skamhed, Järna (W), Kopparsbergs lan, Varmland daughter of Hans and Anna.  She married Knuts Olof Nilsson born 26/10/1853 in Skamhed.  Emigrated 1893 to Minnesota.  Two children born in Sweden: Carl John 1889 and August Victor 1892.

Attempting to find family history of Anna Brita and also discover if she could have died in Sweden vs accompanying Knuts and the two children to America.  I have found no record of her death in the two towns in which they lived in Minnesota, Cokato and Zim.

Thank you.

Pat Richardson

2005-01-25, 23:49
Svar #1

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Pat,

From Arkion 1890:

Homeparish: Järna
Residence: Skamhed (by)
County: Kopparberg
SVARvolume: 000359  Card nr: 5
Page: 22  Row: 4

Persons in the household
Fam nr: 1
Knuts Olof Nilsson f. 1853 in Järna, H Egare (farm owner)
wife Anna Brita Hansdotter f. 1853 in Järna
s. Karl Johan f. 1889 in Järna
Fam nr: 2
sister Brita Nilsdotter f. 1845 in Järna

I don't see them leaving Kopparberg in 1893 when I search the Emigrant CD and I don't find them leaving Järna in any year, so perhaps they left through another country, such as Norway.

Births, marriages, and deaths for Kopparberg county can be ordered from any Family History Center by searching the Family History Library Catalog for Kopparberg and then selecting Civil Registration.  

http://tinyurl.com/a9q9

These parish records are available for Järna. You can find out if she left with the family or if she died before they left or where she went, etc.

http://tinyurl.com/2hzzd

http://tinyurl.com/ypnjw

Genline isn't finished scanning records for Järna, so the records you need aren't there yet. They will be eventually.

http://www.genline.com

Have you checked the Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center, especially their church records and newspapers (good for obituaries)? Their records aren't online but they are extensive.  

http://www.augustana.edu/administration/SWENSON/

Judy

2005-01-26, 00:01
Svar #2

Pat Richardson

Thank you so much for your help.  I would probably profit from taking a day off to drive to the FHC in West Los Angeles.  Thank you for checking for me.

Pat Richardson

2005-01-26, 00:55
Svar #3

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Pat,

Most likely you will need to order those films from the Family History Center and then wait for them to come, so perhaps you could order on an evening or weekend and save the day off to look at the microfilms. :-)

Judy

2005-01-26, 13:17
Svar #4

Pat Richardson

I'm afraid I don't understand.  I would have to have a microfilm reader which would only be available at a library.  When I ordered films before they couldn't be removed from the library even if one had a microfilm reader at home.  There is an FHC in Orange County which would have to order the films.  The FHC in West Los Angeles most likely has them already, as it is a very large FHC.  In addition to order them would involve 2-3 weeks of waiting for the films to arrive.  Are these records now on CD and are the FHCs allowing them to be taken home?

Sorry to sound so dense but I haven't used the FCH in a number of years, as I had exhausted their resources for all my other family lines.  I had not become involved in research in Sweden at the time, so I hadn't occasion to go there to search.

Pat

2005-01-26, 13:52
Svar #5

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
According to Emigranten Olof Nilsson, age 39, from Järna, left the port of Göteborg 1893 Jul. 14 with a ticket for Quebec. He travelled with a group of other people from nearby Äppelbo, who also were going to Quebec.

Olof is not listed as travelling with his family, but that might be because, when they transcribed the Passenger lists, they often omitted entering wife and children. The only way to find that out is to look at the microfilm of the original lists.

According to Järna church records Anna Brita emigrated with the family.

2005-01-26, 19:14
Svar #6

Pat Richardson

Thank you so much for that information.  It is extremely helpful and opens up new areas of research.  We had never heard any mention of Quebec.  I can now search on Ancestry.com for records of the family in Canada, although it may have been a stepping off point only to Michigan and Minnesota.  I'm very grateful for your help.

Pat

2005-01-26, 19:53
Svar #7

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Pat,

The Family History Centers do NOT allow anyone to take the films home. You have to go to the FHC to order the films and they contact you when they arrive. You then must go back to the FHC to see the films there.  

A FHC may have some of its materials on indefinite loan, but usually those are local materials, for that town, for example. If someone else has ordered the same materials you need, you can use their materials if they don't need them at the same time. I have never found anyone ordering the same parish films I needed, though.

Judy

2005-01-26, 21:21
Svar #8

Pat Richardson

I'm sorry, we seem to be talking at cross purposes.  When you said I should view them at night and on weekends, I could only presume that you meant in my home as the centers aren't open nights or Sundays.  I found it surprising that they would allow the CDs or films out of the library.

At any rate I have purchased the Vital Records CD from Salt Lake City.  I also checked with the FHC in West Los Angeles and they have CDs which I'm interested in searching and I will go up there as soon as I can take a day off from work.  Saturday isn't a good day to choose, as people who work during the week flock there on Saturday and there is a long line for viewers.  I prefer not to order and wait while a film or CD is sent to the small library in Orange County, as I can find them on hand in LA.

Thank you again.  Sorry for any confusion.

Pat

2005-01-27, 04:09
Svar #9

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Pat,

Some Family History Centers have night and evening hours. Mine is open on Thursday nights from 6:30-9:30 and on Saturdays from 9-1, and during the day a few other times a week. I suppose the availablity of those extra hours depends on whether volunteers are available.

If you can find any film you wish to see at your Family History Center, I am envious. I need to go to Salt Lake City to see all the films without having to wait. You must have a huge Family History Center.

The Scandinavian cds don't cover all of Sweden, but if you have someone from parishes they do cover, the records are useful, but not as good as looking at the actual records. The records I suggested may not be on cd.  

Judy

2005-02-11, 23:36
Svar #10

Pat Richardson

I should have posted an email a number of weeks ago that a party in Sweden had very kindly given me her husband's research on this family line as far back as the mid 1600's.  Gifts such as that are very rare and I was very appreciative.  

Pat

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna