ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Wilhelm Jönsson from Gärdslöv parish  (läst 1434 gånger)

2007-02-13, 17:04
läst 1434 gånger

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 354
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-11-29, 20:15
    • Visa profil
I have inherited letters from Sweden, and in one of the undated letters there is a description of a cousin, named Wilhelm, who emigrated to America. Old Nils Gustaf Ahlgren told his American family about this cousin's misadventures on the night before he emigrated.  He said that their cousin, Wilhelm (no surname given), had gotten so drunk in Malmö that he had to be carried aboard the steamer by a man named Thelander.  Wilehelm's luggage was already on board, so Thelander felt obligated to carry him onto the ship, rather than bringing him back to Gärdslöv.
   I have wondered about the identity of this cousin.  I know it was not Gustaf's own son, Anders Wilhelm Ahlgren, who emigrated in 1891, and it was not Gustav's brother's son - a shoemaker named Wilhelm Ahlgren. I found that Gustaf's wife, Kerstina Hansdotter, had a brother named Jöns Hansson (born: 1832) who lived in Gärdslöv.  Jöns Hansson's youngest son was named Wilhelm, born 26-Aug 1875.  He would have been a cousin (mother's brother's son)to my Ahlgrens, so perhaps this was the man who was carted onto the ship dead drunk.  I assume that the children of åbo Jöns Hansson would assume the surname of Jönsson.
   Is there any way to see if Wilhelm Jönsson moved from Gärdslöv to Malmö, and then emigrated?  I think the letter was written around 1893.

2007-02-13, 23:52
Svar #1

Utloggad Mats Ahlgren

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4737
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 20:42
    • Visa profil
Karen

Jöns Hansson and his wife Augusta Gottschewsky had at least three children (Swedish Census 1890 and 1900). Let me know if this is wrong Jöns.

Karin born 1867
Vilhelm born 1875
Magnus Born 1882

This is Wilhelm in 1900
Record 803116
Jönsson Holmberg, Wilh
Eldare
b. 1875 in Gärdslöv (Malmöhus län, Skåne)
Man, single
Toreberg
Gärdslöv (Malmöhus län, Skåne)
Place of birth (original source): Gärdslöv Malmöhus län

So, either he came back or he didn't leave.

2007-02-14, 11:40
Svar #2

Utloggad Ann Little

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-23, 20:10
    • Visa profil
Hi Karen, Eldare means stoker.

Kind regards,
Ann

2007-02-14, 16:08
Svar #3

Utloggad Mats Ahlgren

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4737
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 20:42
    • Visa profil
Karen

When died Old Nils Gustaf Ahlgren?

Mats

2007-02-15, 00:21
Svar #4

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Nils Gustaf Ahlgren died in 1899 in Gärdslöv, and I think the letter was from around 1894. Gustaf also sent his greetings to his son-in-law in that letter, and that must have meant Maria's new husband.  She got married at the end of 1893, so that is how I date the letter.
   The Wilhelm who was talked about was a worker at Malmo's shipyard (that fact was mentioned in the letter too). Would they have hired a stoker at a shipyard?
   There were many cousins in this family, since old Nils Gustaf and his wife, Kerstina Hansdotter, were both from big families. There might have been many Wilhelms, so I probably will never know who was the subject of Gustaf's gossip!  I thank everyone for trying to solve this!

2007-02-15, 00:24
Svar #5

Utloggad Kurt Persson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 189
  • Senast inloggad: 2008-01-24, 22:01
    • Visa profil
Karen. Jöns Hansson born 1832 in Gärdslöv and his wife Augusta born 1844 in Dallund in Denmark lived in Gärdslöv at Toreberg. Jöns was a worker and they had 6 children;
Carl 1863
Karin 1867
Hans 1870
Wilhelm 1875 aug 26
August 1879, died 1884
Magnus 1882
All born in Gärdlöv
Wilhelm Jönsson took the new surename Holmberg. He moved to Göteborg (Gothenburg) 1993, but returned home from Göteborg 1897 and stayed at home in Gärdslöv at least until 1900.
Wilhelm probably worked as a Stoker onboard Steamers. His Steamer my have sailed to Amerika but I don't think he ever emigrated there.
I have worked a lot with the emigration from Gärdslöv and would be very pleased if You would let me know more about Anders Wilhelm Ahlgren who emigrated as Carpenter in 1891, i.e. were he lived, who he married, children etc.
Best Regard
Kurt Persson in Anderslöv nearby Gärdslöv

2007-02-15, 12:31
Svar #6

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Thanks for the information.  First, the family that you and Mats found was the correct one. Because Wilhelm worked at the shipyard, that explains why he might be carried onto the steamer drunk.
  I just finished writing about Anders Wilhelm Ahlgren and his siblings.  Wilhelm took the name of William A. Ahlgren when he immigrated to Rockford, Illinois.  He married Hannah Gustafson, another immigrant, and they had two children.  One daugther died in 1917, at the age of 10.  The other lived to be 95, but did not marry and had no children.  So there are no further descendents from Wilhelm.  However, Anders Wilhelm's brother and sisters have many descendents in the U.S. and in Sweden.  We've met some of them and I am writing about each one.
   One of Nils Gustav Ahlgren's relatives lived in Anderslöv - Jakob Lindell and his family.  He has had some news articles written about him because he was sent to prison for murdering the father of his second wife. I will be writing about him soon.

2007-02-15, 13:18
Svar #7

Utloggad Kurt Persson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 189
  • Senast inloggad: 2008-01-24, 22:01
    • Visa profil
Karen, thanks for the information about Anders Wilhelm Ahlgren. I visited the parish office here in Anderslöv today. They still keep the books from Gärdlöv from 1895-1991.  
Jöns Hansson died in Gärdslöv 1904 May 14th and his wife Augusta died there 1921 June 2nd.
There son Wilhelm Jönsson Holmberg moved to Göteborg 18 April 1901. At the time he is still registered as a sailor. After that I cannot find more information here in Anderslöv.
Kurt Persson

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna