ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Tracing Augustus Olsson for Anne Ford  (läst 696 gånger)

2006-07-27, 13:31
läst 696 gånger

Anne Ford

Hello
I am trying to find out about my great grandfather - Augustus Olsson born 1st March 1855 possibly in Gothenburg or Halmstad.  His father was Olof Anderson (a joiner by trade).  Augustus landed in Hull England before 1878 as that is the year he married my great grandmother - Eleanor Sendall in Louth, Lincolnshire England.  

Family history says he jumped ship!!  His job is listed as Engineer and prior to that Blacksmith. There is no mention of any other family member from Sweden coming to England.  I have a few photographs taken in Sweden but I do not know who they are, I also have a book titled Denna Bok tillhora Strangers Rest Laga det icke bort.

I would appreciate any help anyone could give me as I would love to know more about my great grandfather and his family.  Thank you.

Anne Ford

2006-07-27, 20:43
Svar #1

Bo Johansson

Denna Bok tillhora Strangers Rest Laga det icke bort means something like:
This book belongs to Strangers Rest, don't remove it.

// Bo Johansson

2006-07-27, 23:59
Svar #2

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
Anne  

The book sounds like it once belonged to a seaman?s home or similar for Swedish sailors in an English speaking country. One way of tracing him is through the Swedish Church in London or in Liverpool, they kept track of a lot of Swedes in England.  
Was he ever a British citizen (according to the 1891 census he was)? In that case there will be naturalization documents which may give more precise information.
His name is extremely common as is that of his father so more information would be helpful. I looked at a data base of run-away seamen (not a complete record) but did not find him.

2006-07-28, 00:13
Svar #3

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
Strangers rest is (among other things) a place in Hull according to a list of trades and professions in Hull 1892:

Strangers' Rest, Castle St chambers, Castle st

?t may be worthwile to find out more about this

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna