ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Sven Pearson (b 1857) to Australia (prior to 1880)  (läst 1137 gånger)

2006-04-04, 17:42
läst 1137 gånger

Utloggad Mike Williams

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 2
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-08-18, 10:38
    • Visa profil
Are there any known resources for Swedes emigrating to Australia? What I see here seems to assume Swedes only settled in the United States.

My ancestor Sven Pearson, a fisherman, came from the Mälmo area, but all I know is that his father's name was Nils Pearson. Sven was married in Australia in 1880.

I'm looking for shipping records on the Australian side, but if there is anything from the other side that would really help me.

Thanks
Mike

2006-04-04, 22:21
Svar #1

Utloggad Calle Lindström

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1949
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 14:19
    • Visa profil
Mike, as there was about 1,2 million Swedes that left Sweden for North America I think there was about some thousands that emigrated to Australia and New Zealand. So naturally it is a focus on the North America trade. The Swedish emigration database that are available, Emibas and Emigranten has as well emigration to other areas than North America, but I can not find your Sven Persson in a search. Emibas has 2.400 emigrants to Australia and Emigranten has about 1.400.
But sorry to say can not find any Sven Persson, born 1857. As being from the area of Malmö he can as well emigrated from Denmark, or Germany as well.
Not knowing the parish he came from, it is not easy to have a look in the household records to get more information.  
Wish you all luck in your search,
Best wishes,
Calle L

2006-04-04, 23:00
Svar #2

Utloggad Thomas Vikander

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 297
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-06-11, 05:22
    • Visa profil
Hello Mike,
From my location in Canada I have found Swedes who emigrated to the USA, and then emigrated once more to territories to the north that later became Canada. Sometimes the original emigrant settled in the USA for a generation and then his/her offspring moved north.

Sometimes, Swedes who enquire at Anbytarforum and start searching with the  broad destination of Amerika in mind,  find the trail leads to Canada or other countries, perhaps in your case to Australia/NZ.
Some emigrants, on the other hand, came through Canadian ports and headed directly to US juristictions while still others settled somewhere in  Canada (and later perhaps drifted down to the USA or shipped out for the South Seas).  

I suggest that anyone searching for trails that lead to Down Under, include a path through North America.

However, your time frame is fairly early in the European settlement of western N.America, so it's less likely he travelled as outlined above and more likely he arrived and departed by sea  through a  port such as San Francisco.

Best regards,
Thomas

2006-04-05, 05:23
Svar #3

Utloggad Thomas Vikander

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 297
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-06-11, 05:22
    • Visa profil
Mike: is there any possibility that the father's name was Per Nilsson not Nils Pearson (Persson etc. variants), but that through the years in Australia the format of the father's name has been 'regularized' to conform with that of his son's last name?
This has happened in some cases in Canada.  
If this were the case with the father named Per Nilsson, then his son would in Sweden be called Sven Persson  and he would emigrate with that name and keep it and become Sven Pearson in Australia.

On the othe hand....

Calle: If in fact the father's name truly was Nils Persson then his son's name in Sweden and in the Swedish departure etc. records would have been Sven Nilsson.  i.e. the emigrant we are looking for is named Sven Nilsson who later in Australia regularized his last name to conform with that of his father's.

2006-04-05, 23:25
Svar #4

Utloggad Calle Lindström

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1949
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 14:19
    • Visa profil
Thomas and Mike, I made the search in the database on the name Sven (as you Thomas, I made the same reflextion) birth 1857 and Australia as destination. No more.  
Perhaps he took an other way, or more likely emigrated from Denmark or Germany.
Wish  you luck,
Calle

2011-07-17, 15:37
Svar #5

Utloggad Mike Williams

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 2
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-08-18, 10:38
    • Visa profil
Thomas, Calle: The earliest record I have of him is the marriage document that lists him as 23 in 1880, and his father's name as stated. Even accepting that his age is correct and he was born in 1856/7 then the question of how he regularised his surname is quite open. He may have regularised it against his father's or vice versa. He may also have lied about his age ( as most of my female ancestors seem to have done on so so many documents!) for one reason or another.

I'm still looking for shipping records, but if he worked passage as crew then his name may not be recorded.

[ I tried to respond to this forum some time ago but it wouldn't allow me to log in. negotiating the error messages and button labels was not straightforward. I've created a new account ]

2011-07-17, 16:00
Svar #6

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
Is he the Sven Person (crossed out and Pearson inserted) who applies for citizenship in South Australia 1899? States that he is 42 years of age and has been in Australia for 22 years. (National Archives of Australia)

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna