ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Olson, Peter & Johanna Halfvardsdotter  (läst 2289 gånger)

2007-02-03, 04:57
läst 2289 gånger

Jamie Milne Swedburg

I would like to find out more about my great-great-grandfather Peter Olson, b. Nov. 24, 1844 Nysocken parish, Northern Varmland, Sweden; d. Dec. 25, 1932 in Iowa or South Dakota. He married Johanna Halfvardsdotter b. Jan. 19 or 21, 1847 Dalby parish, Varmland; d. Oct. 30, 1893 Clay County, South Dakota.  

Parents: Torparen (Crofter) Halfvard Persson and wife Kristin Olsdotter in Backa.  

I would like to know more about their parents, their siblings and other relatives. Thanks!

2007-02-03, 15:24
Svar #1

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Jamie,

Your great-great-grandfather was born in Norra Ny parish in the county of Värmland.
He was christened Pehr (a Swedish short form of Peter).
Pehr was indeed born 24 Nov 1844, in the small village of Månäs. There is no date for the christening, so supposedly it took place the same day; there were two witnesses (godparents): Lars Andersson and his wife Karin Persdotter.

Pehr's parents were:
Olof Olsson, b. 05 Aug 1807 (at Månäs), d. 1860
Gertrud Jönsdotter, b. 10 Sep 1807 (at Elindebol, another farming village in Norra Ny)
Pehr's siblings were:
Ingeborg, b. 09 Dec 1835
Olof, b. 08 Oct 1838
Jöns, b. 23 May 1841
Lars, b. 09 Aug 1846
Kjerstin, b. 06 May 1851
Marit, b. 13 Dec 1853

At the farm lived, although retired from 1836, also Pehr's father's parents until their respective deaths :
Olof Olsson, b. 1762, d. 27 Jan 1843
Marit Persdotter, b. 1752, d. 11 May 1843 (her birthyear of 1752 is of course preposterous since she had at least one child in 1811; it is however everywhere given in the Hfl:s - but I think it is corrected in the last Hfl and 1764 may be written over the original;  very difficult to read since it was all crossed out when she died - and I can find no death records 1838-1843)

Also Pehr's father's brother, Nils Olsson, b. 08 Aug 1811, lived at the farm.

Sources:
Birth records at Norra Ny, C:5 1825-60 (GID 513.28.9600) - Pehr's is the only one I've checked
Husförhörslängd (clerical survey/household examination) at Norra Ny:
AI:14 1833-37, page 86 (GID 513.16.11800)
AI:15 1836-40, page 139 (GID 513.17.34800)
AI:16 1841-48, page 175 (GID 513.18.66100)
AI:18 1848-53, page 133 (GID 513.21.3500)
AI:19 1854-60, page 140 (GID 513.22.33300)

Ingela

2007-02-03, 16:45
Svar #2

Mari Johansson

Hi Jamie, here comes some information about Johannas parents
Halfvard Persson birth 1808  
Kristin Olsdotter birth 1805 Backa, Dalby
Children:
1. Per, birth 1833-01-28 Dalby
2. Halfvard birth 189-06-06 Dalby
3. Olof ,birth 1836-02  Dalby
4. Håkan ,birth 1842-04-0 Dalby
5. Johanna ,birth 1847-02-19 Dalby

I look in the swedish cencus 1890 and i think this is two brothers to Johanna, but i am not sure
1 . Olof Halvardsson Backfeldt birth 1836 Dalby, He had been a soldier
Wife Marit Persdotter birth 1830 Dalby
Children
* Olof birth 1866 Dalby
* Gustaf birth 1871 Dalby
The family live 1890 in Amnerud, Dalby

2. Halvard Halvardsson Grafbäck birth 1839 Dalby
Wife Sigrid Olsdotter birth 1841 Dalby
Children:
* Kerstin birth 1863 Dalby
* Olof birth 1865 Dalby
* Carolina birth 1879 Dalby
The family live 1890 in Backa , Dalby

I shell look after more information if you are intressted.
Bye
Mari

2007-02-03, 16:47
Svar #3

Mari Johansson

Jamie, i forgot to write the sources
Dalby Al:20 1849-1855, Backa paige 25
Swedish cencus 1890

2007-02-03, 21:29
Svar #4

Jamie Milne Swedburg

Thank you for the help! This is wonderful!

Ingela,
Are Nysocken parish and Norra Ny near each other? Or is Ny short for Nysocken?

Is Hfl:s the same as Husförhörslängd?

Mari,
My record for Johanna had Torparen (Crofter) Halfvard Persson. Do you know what Torparen and Crofter mean?  

Are there any clues about the parents of:
Halfvard Persson birth 1808  
Kristin Olsdotter birth 1805 Backa, Dalby  

Than you again!

2007-02-04, 02:30
Svar #5

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Jamie,

There is no such thing as Nysocken. There is Norra Ny socken - literal translation word by word: Northern New parish. I don't know where you got the name, but the person doing the translation created a tautology: socken=parish. The actual name of the parish is thus: Norra Ny.

Yes, the common abbreviation for husförhörslängd is hfl.

Crofter is the closest translation possible of torpare. A crofter leased a little land from either a wealthy farmer, the parish or a great estate. It was never prime land. On this land the crofter generally built a small house (it was possible to buy it from the previous owner also of course); since the house stood on land not belonging to the owner of the land it could have no proper basement/cellar  you had to be able to move it (which was done now and again). It wasn't exactly a mobile home, but the general idea was similar. On this little croft the crofter would just barely support himself and his family; everybody in the family had to help out whenever possible, not only at home but also taking odd jobs in the parish (bad years the children were, if possible, rented out for nothing more than food and lodging). The land lease wasn't paid in money or produce (the way farmers paid tax or rent), it was paid by the crofter and his family working a set number of days for the owner of the land (this was called dagsverke, a day's work) - women and children (under 15) were counted as a half day's work even when they worked the full day.
Soldiers were given a croft and an allowance (maybe wood for fires, food for the goat etc.); when they went off on exercises or to war the soldier's family and also the farmers who were responsible for this soldier croft kept the croft going.
A torpare had no retirement plan: if he couldn't work, he couldn't pay the lease. There were different solutions: if the croft yielded enough, one of the children might take over and the parents were allowed to stay and were expected to help out as much as possible (this is not unlike the retirement plan farmers had (the undantag). If there were no children, or none of the children were interested in taking over, the lease could be sold - a new family moved in but the old crofter and his wife stayed until they died. The third solution was that the crofter was declared a pauper and would live on charity (it wasn't very charitable) for the rest of his life.
The croft typically consisted of a couple of fields, and, if well-managed and lucky, it could support a cow and a few goats (goats were called poor man's cow), perhaps also an apple-tree and a few bushes of red and/or black currant.
The crofter institution peaked around 1860, when there were in excess of 100.000 crofts in Sweden. This is were the people that were needed for the industrial revolution (starting very late in Sweden, only in the 1870's) came from primarily - not to mention becoming emigrants.
Oh, and don't think that the crofter was bottom of the heap: there were three rungs under them (on the ten degree social scale).

Ingela

2007-02-04, 05:31
Svar #6

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
This is fascinating, Ingela. If you ever have time, it would be interesting and informative to learn more about this ten degree social scale.

If you know of a site, even in Swedish, I would be interested.

Judy

2007-02-04, 13:36
Svar #7

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
By clicking on this link you can read more about torpare .

2007-02-05, 05:24
Svar #8

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Judy,

There is indeed such a site, in Swedish only I'm afraid:
http://www.adm.hb.se/~lew/Slakt/a_HstNot/SocKlas.htm

I'll give a brief summary here:
before 1864, all Swedes belonged to an estate, which was to say a social class, ordered by law. Top was the aristocracy (nobility), then the clergy, the burghers (city people) and farmers. I believe it was quite unique to Sweden that also the farmers formed an estate. Each estate elected their representatives to send to Parliament (Riksdagen). When there was a question to be voted on in Parliament, each estate separately discussed the question and decided what they thought of it. Then each estate as a whole cast its vote - thus, only four votes.
So, officially there were only four estates. However, there were people who didn't fit into these estates: there were very rich but non-noble merchants who had very little in common with e.g. a cabinetmaker or a weaver - but they were all burghers. And what about teachers? They didn't belong to any guild, so they were not burghers, and although most of them were ordained and thus belonged to the clergy, not all of them were. Then there were the poor, both urban and rural - the urban poor were definitely not burghers (you had to be a master craftsman in your guild to be that) and the rural poor were definitely not farmers since they didn't own their land or even lease it long-term. And there are many more examples.
So in order to understand the social strata in preindustrial Sweden (before 1870), professor Sten Carlsson constructed the ten-degree social scale:
1. Aristocracy
Basically the titled nobility, but also super-rich merchants (e.g. the directors of the Swedish East India company), bishops, officers with rank of colonel and above and civil servants of corresponding rank (e.g. judges on the Supreme Court).
2. Lower nobility
Basically the untitled nobility (which is to say the majority of the nobility), judges (district courts, courts of appeal), officers from captain and up, non-noble estate owners.
3. Non-noble gentry
Teachers, officers below the rank of captain, factory owners, wealthy master craftsmen, doctors, civil servants
4. Lowest rank of genteel persons
Private tutors, master craftsmen, merchant navy officers (captain and mates), warrant officers, estate stewards and agents, shop owners
5. Farmers
Farmers owning or having a long-term lease of a good-sized farm, master smiths, second lowest rank of non-commissioned officers, city craftsmen. Some of the farmers could be quite wealthy and it has been discussed whether these super-farmers didn't rightly belong to the non-noble estate owners but I personally think there was a vast difference in the way of life of a farmer (bound by old traditions, the ways of the village), however rich, and that of an estate owner who was much more independent and had some schooling.
6. Lesser farmers
Farmers with smaller farms (owned or, most often, long-term leased), who often would have to supplement the income from the farm by working for the bigger farms. The parish tailor and shoe-maker could just about make it here
7. Dependent farmers
Crofters, soldiers, journeymen craftsmen, smiths at the large forges, iron workers
8. Dependent workers
Farmhands (of both sexes), servants, mud hut dwellers (backstugusittare), factory workers, labourers
9. The dispossessed
Basically paupers (people from group 6-8 who no longer could work due to age or infirmities and had to be taken care of by the parish), people with no steady work, and no home of their own
10. Outcasts
Social outcasts mostly due to the nature of their work, e.g. those emptying latrines, flayers, executioners, horse butchers, travellers (including gypsies)

The social scale wasn't permanent. There are numerous examples of people going up or down the social ladder, sometimes quite drastically. Usually, however, it was just one degree per generation, but I know of a family that went from group 2 to group 7 in three generations (untitled noble family; captain -> sergeant -> private).

Ingela

2007-02-05, 07:08
Svar #9

Jamie Milne Swedburg

Thank you so much Ingela! This is very interesting and helpful.

2007-02-05, 20:04
Svar #10

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Tack så mycket, Ingela. I appreciate very much the time and effort you put into translating this social scale. I also appreciate having the link to the original information in Swedish.

On Saturday we will have our society's monthly meeting of the Swedish Special Interest Group and this will make an interesting and informative topic of discussion for us. (We have experienced researchers and total newbies and I think this will fit perfectly for both types of researchers.)

I suspect most of our ancestors were in the lower part of this scale but it is so interesting to know just where they fit.

Thank you again!

Judy

2007-02-05, 20:05
Svar #11

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Elisabeth,  

That is such an interesting and informative article about the torp and torpare. I have told many people about that article in the past, and everyone seems to find it very helpful.

Tack så mycket!

Judy

2007-02-06, 11:14
Svar #12

Mari Johansson

Jamie, this is probably father to Kristin olsdotter
Father Olof Håkansson birth 1768 Transtrand
Children
1. Karin Olsdotter birth 1795 Backa, Dalby
2. Lars Olofsson birth 1800 Backa, Dalby
3. Kerstin ( Kristin) Birth 1805 Backa, Dalby
Sources
Dalby Al:12 1815-1821.Dalby North part , paige 54 Backa
Bye
Mari

2007-02-07, 06:58
Svar #13

Jamie Milne Swedburg

Thank you Mari,
Is Transtrand in Dalby?
Jamie

2007-02-07, 09:05
Svar #14

Bo Johansson

There is a Transtrand village in Dalby parish, but there is also a Transtrand parish in Kopparberg county.

// Bo Johansson

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna