ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Nils Johan Jonsson  (läst 2589 gånger)

2007-03-16, 19:07
läst 2589 gånger

Anita Karlsson

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me to find out which destination the person below had when he emigrated to USA:  

Nils Johan Jonsson born in 1874, June 11 in Hede Jämtland, Härjedalen, Sweden. He lived and grow up in Vadje, Fryksände, Värmland, Sweden (from 1876) and emigrated from Kollerud to North Amerika 1896, June 12.  

I hope that someone can help me to find out the destination and where he lived in USA. If he got a family.

He maybe could have changed his surname to Vestlund when he emigrated, because his sister Kristina too changed when she emigrated to USA, Minnesota in 1905.Their father also changed to Vestlund.

Best wishes,

Anita Karlsson.

2007-03-16, 22:47
Svar #1

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Hi Anita,

Ellis Island yields only one person when looking for Nils/Johan Jonsson/Jonson/Vestlund arriving in NYC in 1896. This is a Nils J. Jonsson from Sweden, 21 years of age - but he's on a manifest that has him arriving in NYC already on March 7, 1896. This Nils J. Jonsson is a laborer and heading for Oifield, Wis which I take to be a misspelling of oilfield, Wis(consin).

The easiest way to view this passenger is by accessing the manifest at
http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/eidb/mm.htm
Series M237, Roll 654, Frame 773 (line 311) - click on Display (the date changes to February 1896, but that's just the start date of the first record of that particular set).
The ship is the SS Lucania, but you only have to fill out Series, Roll and Frame.

Ingela

2007-03-17, 09:11
Svar #2

Anita Karlsson

Hi Ingela,

Thank you for your answer to me. Do you think he is the right person?

I think it can be, but the arrive-date is not the right, because Nils Johan emigrated 1896, June 12.  

Now I will try to write below New york to see if someone can help me to find him there.

Best wishes,

Anita.

2007-03-17, 09:20
Svar #3

Anita Karlsson

Hi Ingela,

I checked the Accessing Passenger list again, which you send to me and I think you have wrong when you say he arrived to NYC.  

It seems to be another place ..field Wis. Please can you read it again and tell me where he arrived.

Best wishes,

Anita.

2007-03-17, 13:36
Svar #4

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Anita,

Ingela said he arrived in New York City because that is the port city where the big ocean liner stopped. (Ellis Island was the receiving station/passenger processing center in the City of New York at that time.)

She also said he was going to Oifield, Wis which I take to be a misspelling of oilfield, Wis(consin). That last part is what you saw when you saw ...field, Wis.

Judy

2007-03-17, 14:24
Svar #5

Anita Karlsson

Hi Judy!

Thank you so very much and now I see that Ingela wrote this in her letter to me. I?m so sorry, I don?t see that. Do you think that I can wrote below Wisconsin now, if someone can go on searching there for me?

Anita

2007-03-17, 16:11
Svar #6

Bo Nordenfors (Nob)

I spent half an hour with Census 1900 and Wisconsin, but no good hits. Many Nels Johnson, many Vestlund/Westlund.  
Anita, please inform us about the source (as clerical survey, parish, page -- ) I found him yesterday, after that I found him in Census 1890,but made not a note about what page, no doubt he was in Wadje then, but you said he emigrated from Kollerud, is that Kollerud in Hede parish? Did you ever find him in Emigranten CD and/or EMIBAS? Yes I know the date in EMIBAS is the same as what was written in clerical survey and book of moving out (if any).  

But, the place in Wisconsin - why not Bayfield?

Bo

2007-03-17, 16:16
Svar #7

Bo Nordenfors (Nob)

Good afternoon.

A Nels Westlund is mentioned here :

http://www.rootsweb.com/~wibayfie/ww1pg2.html

Bayfield County in WWI
Reprinted from the Iron River Pioneer
Dec. 5, 1918
Contributed and typed by Zoe Lappin

Just use the search engine in you web browser to find him, as soon as you find the web-site and perhaps read the information.

//Bo

2007-03-17, 16:19
Svar #8

Bo Nordenfors (Nob)

At this site

http://www.rootsweb.com/~wibayfie/obits-wx.html

I also found an obit for a Henning Westlund, son of Nels N Westlund and Anna Westlund, but I am far from  
sure that this is your people.

Bo

2007-03-17, 16:28
Svar #9

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
I like to use the site for the 1895 U.S. Atlas.

I checked to see if there was a place called Oilfield in Wisconsin at that time, and there wasn't. Perhaps Oilfield was Oakfield.  

http://www.livgenmi.com/1895/WI/Index/o.htm

You can see the location of Oakfield, Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, in the middle of this 1895 map of Fond du Lac county.

http://www.livgenmi.com/1895/WI/County/fonddulac.htm

This is the closest person I can find to your relative in the 1900 U.S. Federal Census. I don't know if he is yours but his birth month and year do fit. The immigration year doesn't but it is easy to forget exactly when you immigrated and perhaps someone else answered the question for him.

1900 United States Federal Census
(http://www.ancestry.com)

Name: Nels Johnson  
Home in 1900: Fridley, Anoka, Minnesota  
Estimated birth year: abt 1876  
Birthplace: Sweden  
Relationship to head-of-house: Boarder  
Race: White  

Immigration year: 1897  

Household Members: Name Age  
Annie Monson 60  
Jennie Monson 28  
Tillie Monson 24  
John Monson 20  
John Nelson 26  
Andrew Anderson 34  
Coley Dahlman 36  
Charley Anderson 22  
Victor Noren 26  
Axel Robinson 17  
Axel Peterson 22  
Nels Johnson 24  
Albert Norberg 29  

Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Fridley, Anoka, Minnesota; Roll: T623 756; Page: 5A; Enumeration District: 20.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. 1900 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2004. Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Twelfth Census of the United States, 1900. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1900. T623, 1854 rolls.

Judy

2007-03-17, 16:30
Svar #10

Bo Nordenfors (Nob)

Another look into Census 1910 and 1920 only telling me that there was, among others, Nels Westlund b. 1886 and a wife Anna , perhaps is this the same - and probably wrong Westlund I mentioned above.
Unfortunately, I have to stop hunting.

Bo

2007-03-17, 16:41
Svar #11

Bo Nordenfors (Nob)

What about his??

From message boards, Ancestry.com

Search Results for Nels Westlund 1874 Sweden
1 Messages
Results Per Page:  Viewing 1 - 1

Nels John Westlund b. June 11, 1874 Torsby, Varmland, SWEDEN  Posted on: 07 Jul 2003, by Allan Meyer
  Surnames > Westlund
Looking for family of Nels John Westlund. Don't know when he came to America. Married Helga Jennie Charoltte Kuhl Dec. 10, 1896 in Bristol, Day Co. South Dakota. They had two children there before moving to Alber...
Surnames: Westlund, Kuhl, Johnson

Found it:

http://boards.ancestrylibrary.com/SearchResults.aspx?db=mb&gss=ancMB&hc=10&rank=0&adv=show&p=&csn=&cst=&gskw=Nels+Westlund+1874+Sweden&_F00029CB=&_F00027E2=&period=&_88000003=Westlund&_F0002BF1=

2007-03-17, 16:47
Svar #12

Bo Nordenfors (Nob)

Item read in ful:

Nels John Westlund b. June 11, 1874 Torsby, Varmland, SWEDEN
Allan Meyer  (View posts)  Posted: 7 Jul 2003 8:34AM
Classification: Query
Surnames: Westlund, Kuhl, Johnson
Looking for family of Nels John Westlund. Don't know when he came to America. Married Helga Jennie Charoltte Kuhl Dec. 10, 1896 in Bristol, Day Co. South Dakota. They had two children there before moving to Alberta, Canada around 1900. He also had a sister Christina who married a Svedberg. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anita, don't you think you have to talk to the submitter of this information? I suggest you do so.
If you are not familiar with Ancestry, the message boards and how-to-do, please let me know.  
The e-mail of the submitter is also available, if you prefer comminicate that way. Let me know, and I can help you find it and perhaps forward it via you e-mail.

Bo

2007-03-17, 17:19
Svar #13

Bo Nordenfors (Nob)

If you procced on the information given by Allan Meyer, you also find this, very interesting, information:

1900 United States Federal Census 1900 United States Federal Census
Name:  D?? Westlund
Home in 1900:  Kidder, Day, South Dakota
Estimated birth year:  abt 1875
Birthplace:  Sweden
Relationship to head-of-house:  Head
Spouse's name:  Helga
Race:  White
Immigration year:  1896
Neighbors:  View others on page
Household Members:  
Name  Age
D?? Westlund  25
Helga Westlund  25
Richard Westlund  9
Sigfrid Westlund  6
Ellen Westlund  2
Emma Westlund  10/12

Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Kidder, Day, South Dakota; Roll: T623 1549; Page: 2B; Enumeration District: 124.

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. 1900 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2004. Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Twelfth Census of the United States, 1900. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration,

I went on to the original picture, it is no doubt a Nils ... born June 1874, Sweden, immigrating 1896. He is farmer,  
all kids born SD, wife born Germany, immigrated 1896, this couple married for 3 years, approx-.

I have saved the original picture, so if you want it, let me know.  

I also tried to find the family in Canada, census 1906 and 1911, but no hits so far. Perhaps there are other researchers who could help you out.

Bo

2007-03-17, 17:30
Svar #14

Bo Nordenfors (Nob)

Strange with the birth of the children... thinking about Richard and Sigfrid ... foster-children?
Well,
Helga was born August 1874;
Richard April 1891;
Sigfrid, b. April 1894;
Ellen in July 1898 and Emma b. in August 1899.
Census taken on 7 June, 1900.

2007-03-17, 17:48
Svar #15

Bo Nordenfors (Nob)

Found the entire family in Red Deer, Alberta, Census 1911.

Appears they came in 1901.  

Nils, Helga, Richard, Ellen, Emma, even Albin, Fred and Edvin, the three boys born Alberta, also a daughter born in Alberta 1901,  bad scipt in original picture..no, found her in index: Jennie

here we are:

Match Quality  View Record  Name
 Parent or spouse names  Home in 1911
(Province, District, Sub-District)  Birth Year  Birthplace  Relation  View Image
 View Record  Eather Westlund  Erie,
Anna  Alberta, Strathcona  1896  United States of America  Daughter  
 View Record  Jennie Westland  Nils,
Helga  Alberta, Red Deer  1901  Alberta  Daughter  
 View Record  Albin Westland  Nils,
Helga  Alberta, Red Deer  1903  Alberta  Son  
 View Record  Fred Westland  Nils,
Helga  Alberta, Red Deer  1906  Alberta  Son  
 View Record  Edwin Westland  Nils,
Helga  Alberta, Red Deer  1908  Alberta  Son  
 View Record  George Westland  Nils,
Helga  Alberta, Red Deer  1910  Alberta  Daughter  
 View Record  Nils Westland  Helga  Alberta, Red Deer  1874  Sweden  Head  
 View Record  Helga Westland  Nils  Alberta, Red Deer  1874  Germany  Wife  
 View Record  Richard Westland  Nils,
Helga  Alberta, Red Deer  1891  United States of America  Son  
 View Record  Ellen Westland  Nils,
Helga  Alberta, Red Deer  1897  United States of America  Daughter  

Source Information:

2007-03-17, 17:52
Svar #16

Bo Nordenfors (Nob)

Forgot Emma:

1911 Census of Canada 1911 Census of Canada
Name:  Emma Westland
Marital Status:  Single
Birth Date:  Aug 1899
Birthplace:  United States of America
Family Number:  41
Relation to Head of House:  Daughter
Father's name:  Nils
Mother's name:  Helga
Immigration year:  1901
Tribal:  American
Province:  Alberta
District:  Red Deer
District Number:  5
Sub-District Number:  9
Census Year:  1911
Page:  5
Neighbors:  View others on page
Household Members:  
Name  Age
Nils Westland  37
Helga Westland  37
Richard Westland  20
Ellen Westland  14
Emma Westland  12
Jennie Westland  10
Albin Westland  8
Fred Westland  5
Edwin Westland  3
George Westland  4/12

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. 1911 Census of Canada [database on-line]. Provo

2007-03-17, 21:23
Svar #17

Anita Karlsson

Hi Bo!

Thank you so very much for all the information you have given to me.  

This is the right Nils Johan and it?s the right Kristina Westlund Svedberg you wrote about.

Now I have sent a letter to Allan Meyer on the Ancestry boards.  

I really hope I see the right address. I think it?s difficult to see the address on these side.

I must say that I?m really surprised that you can find so much from one person.

Best wishes,

Anita Karlsson.

2007-03-18, 04:38
Svar #18

Utloggad Thomas Vikander

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 297
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-06-11, 05:22
    • Visa profil
Hej Anna,

At:  http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020111_e.html
we find among the Westlund names,

NW Part, Section 12, Township 43, Range 19, Meridian W4.
Reference:
          Liber:   218
          Folio:   72
          File reel number:   C-6105
          Names:   Nils J Westlund

This plot of land may be the one at Edberg, Alberta (south of Edmonton, between Camrose and Stettler).  

At: http://www.ourroots.ca/e/toc.aspx?id=1312
on page 103 there is a mention of a Nels Westlund family. Unfortunately that is the only mention of them that I have so far located.

At: http://findaperson.canada411.ca/
you can look up Westlund and Westland.

Good luck,
Thomas

2007-03-18, 04:39
Svar #19

Utloggad Thomas Vikander

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 297
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-06-11, 05:22
    • Visa profil
...ANITA,...of course.

2007-03-19, 08:03
Svar #20

Anita Karlsson

Good Morning Thomas!

The family who Bo have found is the right.  

I have send an e-mail to an Allan Meyer who searched family-members or these who know anything about Nels John Westlund life, but still no answer from him.

Now I wonder if you can help me to find out anything about Per Nilsson who I have below Kanada and Discussions in english?

He was a uncle to Nels John Westlund.

Best wishes,

Anita.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna