ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Matilda Caroline Höglund född 1862  (läst 2001 gånger)

2007-09-06, 18:25
läst 2001 gånger

Ron Skoog

Attempting to locate the parish where my grandmother, Matilda Caroline Höglund was born.  She was born 5 Dec 1862  Her death certificate shows Jönköping län, Småland (no parish).  Her parents are listed as Anders Höglund and Christina Petersdotter.  She emigrated from Sweden in 1889 and joined her brother, Aaron Höglund and his wife Clara who emigrated from Sweden in 1883.  Aaron and Clara were apparently married in Sweden

2007-09-06, 19:14
Svar #1

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
I see this man and his family who had already traveled to America and were returning from Sweden. Information comes from the Emihamn database of Emigranten Populär.  

Does his age fit? How about the family members? Do they fit? Are they the right age?

Efternamn:   HÖGLUND
Förnamn:     ARON
Ålder:       38            Kön: M
Född: 1861/1862
Församling:  AMERIKA    Län: US
Titel/Anm:    
Utresehamn:  GÖTEBORG
Utvandrdag:  1900 05 16
Destination: NEW YORK
Medåkande:   JA
Källkod:     65:463:12912

Förnamn:     KLARA
Ålder:       33            Kön: K
Född: 1866/1867
Titel/Anm:    

Förnamn:     EDIT
Ålder:       3            Kön: K
Född: 1896/1897
Titel/Anm:    

Förnamn:     ERNST
Ålder:       5            Kön: M
Född: 1894/1895
Titel/Anm:    

Where did Mathilda and the others live after emigrating? A town or towns is much better than a state or county (even if they lived on a farm) and certainly far better than a country. You did not name the country.

I can't find them on Emibas using the information you provided but maybe they can be found on Emihamn (but not using Höglund. It is very possible they didn't use Höglund until they left Sweden.)

Many of us have found the Swedish parish through the immense resources of the Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center. They have a website but their extensive collection is not online.

http://www.augustana.edu/swenson/

Judy

2007-09-07, 00:36
Svar #2

Ron Skoog

Hej Judy

Thank you for your reply.  The Aron you detail indeed looks like my great uncle and his family.  Aron immigrated to New Britain, Ct. USA in 1883.  All födds agree with what I have. Ernest Morris and Edith were born in New Britain. (A third child, Mildred, was born in 1908 in New Britain, CT).  It appears they returned to Sweden for a visit.  Is there anyway to determine what parish they visited?

My grandmother also immigrated to New Britain, Ct arriving in 1889.  She married Gustaf Andersson Hart (Hjert) in 1893.  Gustaf was born at Hjertungen, Ör sn, Älvsborgs län, Dalsland on 8 May 1863. I show him emigrating from Assarbyn, Ör, Dalsland on 2 Sep 1881.  I do not know when or how he arrived in America.  I have been able to trace 3 of my 4 grandparents in Sweden.  Mathilda is the only one I cannot find a parish for.

Thanks for your help.

2007-09-07, 04:24
Svar #3

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Try to find Aron and his family on a U.S. ship manifest. Their last residence will give you a clue to where they visited. My farfars sister and husband went back and forth between Sweden and Chicago (four or five times)before they returned to Sweden in about 1907 for the rest of their lives. Their last residence (Södertälje) was listed on the last few manifests (early 1900s and late 1890s).

Judy

2007-09-07, 05:40
Svar #4

Utloggad Ted Rosvall

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1256
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-09, 07:49
    • Visa profil
I find the following individual:

Carolina Mathilda Andersson Höglund  
*1862 Norra Hestra, Jönköpings län
emigrated 1890 from Örsås, Älvsborgs län
Lived in New Britain, CT

I have identified her in the Emibas as:

Andersdotter, Karolina
Piga (unmarried woman)
b. 12/12/1862 in Hestra, Jönköpings län (Småland)
Emigrated 5/13/1890 from Dumsäng, Örsås, Älvsborgs län (Västergötland)to Amerika

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 114

Ted Rosvall

2007-09-07, 06:32
Svar #5

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Here is a Johan Aron Andersson born in Hestra (the same as the Karolina found by Ted)and he also emigrated from Älvsborg, although not from the same parish as Karolina.

Emibas:

Post 586674

Andersson, Johan Aron
Dräng (unmarried man)

b. 4/15/1861 in Hestra, Jönköpings län (Småland)

Emigrated 1883
from Grönhult, Mossebo, Älvsborgs län (Västergötland)
to Amerika

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 99

Emibas migration file ID: Mossebo P 1883 014

He is about the right age to be the man returning from a visit to Sweden, so perhaps he could be checked in the parish records to see if he is a sibling of Carolina Mathilda.

Wild guess (and there is little support except that she left from Mossebo as Johan Aron did and in the same year and also because she was born about the estimated time that your Aron's wife was according to Emigranten Populär).

Emibas:

Post 586646

Johansson, Clara
Brukardotter = daughter of a type of farmer called a brukare (unmarried woman)

b. 8/8/1866 in Mossebo, Älvsborgs län (Västergötland)

Emigrated 1883
from Töftö (Krubbo), Mossebo, Älvsborgs län (Västergötland)
to Amerika

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 78

Emibas migration file ID: Mossebo P 1883 011

Judy

2007-09-07, 20:42
Svar #6

Ron Skoog

Hello Judy and Ted

This is great. Thanks.

I checked the Jönköpingsbygdens Genealogiska Förenings (JBGF)  page for Norra Hestra births -  http://jbgf.se/bocker/norrahestra/index.htm - and only found one birth in 1862.

I'm off to our Vero Beach library tomorrow where I can access Genline and Emibas.  Now that I have a direction to go in, thanks to the two of you, I can finish my research.  We're planning a visit next year.  With my mormor from Norra Hestra, my farmor from Reftele, her father from Värnamo, his father from Åker who married a girl from Kärda, we'll be able to touch base with all of these locations.  

Again, thanks, and I'll let you know how I make out.

Ron

2007-09-12, 14:05
Svar #7

Ron Skoog

Hello Judy and Ted

I finally got to the library and found Karolina and Johan Aron on emibas.  I could not find either of them on Genline.

Do either of you show who their parents where?

Ron

2007-09-12, 14:12
Svar #8

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Emibas provides the page numbers in the household examination record where they can be found at the time they left Sweden. That should help you quickly find them on Genline and then you can work backwards to find their parents. Remember that I don't know if Clara belongs to you.

Have you used the SCB records for their births? Those should provide the parents.

I don't see any searchable database listing their parents but it should not be hard for you to find them on Genline. What records have you checked there?

Judy

2007-09-12, 15:26
Svar #9

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
I see what you mean. I checked the SCB births for Norra Hestra and none started at the right time. They weren't found in the births for Hestra on the dates found on Emibas.

The HFL do have errors (probably because the priests had as much trouble reading their own writing as we do) so work backwards from the time they left to emigrate and hopefully you will find better dates and/or better birth parish information.

Good luck!

Judy

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna