ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Karl Ivan Augustsson, Vancouver.Born Sept 21,1892 in Sweden  (läst 1775 gånger)

2006-09-16, 22:52
läst 1775 gånger

Utloggad Karin Ekeroth

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 674
  • Senast inloggad: 2012-01-29, 22:10
    • Visa profil
I wonder if someone could tell me how to find out when Karl Ivan Augustsson born Sept 21, 1892 in Ryr, Skållerud, Älvsborgs län came to Canada.

According to the family story he went with his brother Einar to Alaska, but he didn?t like the climate, so they parted in 1925 and since then nobody heard from him. In 1998 the City of Vancouver informed the relatives in Sweden that he had died in 1884. In Sweden he had been declared dead a long time ago. We know nothing about him and neither do his brother Einar?s children and grandchildren.

Grateful for help on how to go on.

Karin

2006-09-16, 23:11
Svar #1

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Karin,

Could this be the person, as found on Emihamn?

First name: IVAN
Last name: AUGUSTSON
Parish: SKÅLLERUD     County: P
Port: GÖTEBORG
Date: 1911 03 22
Destination: MINNEAPOLIS
Fellows: NEJ
Source: 94:270:98914

You have a typo for his death year. He could not have died before he was born. :-) I think you meant he died in 1984 but I'm not sure.

Did Einar go to the U.S.after they parted? Have you checked the St. Albans microfilms to see if he is listed? Maybe Karl Ivan is listed on there. I found relative's names both in Canada and in the U.S. when I found my dad's family coming into the U.S. from Canada in 1924-1926. It's a longshot but maybe you will be lucky.

http://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/2000/fall/us-canada-immigration-records-1.html

Judy

2006-09-17, 02:55
Svar #2

Utloggad Thomas Vikander

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 297
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-06-11, 05:22
    • Visa profil
Hello Karin,

Unfortunately, I find no mention of Karl Ivan Augustsson in the BC Death Registrations for 1984, or 1974, 1964.
Please confirm the year of his death and whether it was Vancouver, BC, Canada  
or Vancouver, Washington State, USA that informed his relatives ?

Was he known as Augustson at the time of his death?

Mvh,
Thomas V.

2006-09-17, 07:32
Svar #3

Utloggad Karin Ekeroth

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Hi Judy and Thomas,

Thanks for your help. Of course he died in 1984, not before he was born. It is the right person you found in emihamn. Einar and a friend of his had gone earlier - 1907 -  to an uncle EG Andersson in Minneapolis. What year they went to Alaska I do not know. Einar stayed in Alaska, got married and in the sixties his children (or grandchildren) wrote to the parish of Skållerud to find out if there were any living relatives and got names. Einar came to Sweden for a visit in 1968 and the family had a big reunion. He had no idea of what had become of Ivan, as he was called in the family.  

Thomas - I am quite sure it was Canada. We talked about him not being far from his brother, and yet no contact. I suppose Vancouver in the States is not so far from BC, but I am sure I would have remembered it being the States. He could have dropped Ivan and used Karl. His father´s name was August Andersson. Could he have used Andersson?

I will ask some of my late husband´s older relatives if they remember more. He was my husband´s great-uncle.

Judy- What are the St. Albans microfilms? Are they the ones you have given the address for?(I guess I can google)

Thomas - Are the BC Death registrations on-line?

MVH, Karin

2006-09-17, 20:40
Svar #4

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Karen,

If you read the article in the link for the St. Albans' microfilms (provided in my last message), you will get a much better explanation than anything I can provide. In short, however, those records are immigration records and they cover the entire U.S./Canada border (leaving Canada and going to the U.S. and not the other way around)starting in the late 1890s, I believe. The name, St. Albans,is very misleading. The records were stored in St. Albans, Vermont, so many think the records only cover that small area, but as said earlier, they cover the entire U.S./Canada border for those leaving Canada and going to the U.S.  

The microfilms are not online, of course, since they are microfilms. You live in Sweden, I believe, so you will probably need to order them from a Family History Center or pay some U.S. researcher to check them out for you.

Judy

2006-09-17, 22:47
Svar #5

Utloggad Karin Ekeroth

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Judy - I used the link you provided and read the article, which by the way was very informative. I will gather all the info I have and see where to go from there.

Thomas - I talked with a relative this evening and she was sure he called himself Anderson. She had some documents sent by a Canadian lawyer or something, so she was going to try to find them. She was dead sure it was Vancouver BC.

Again, thanks.
mvh
Karin

2006-09-18, 03:35
Svar #6

Utloggad Thomas Vikander

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
BC Archives Vital Events are on-line at:

http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/sn-3A4071E/gbsearch/Births,Marriages,Deaths

It's a tricky search engine which is not conversant with how Swedish names could shift into English sounding or spelled equivalents.
In this case I get most hits when Anderson,  Surname is modified in the dropdown menu with  Approximate Match,
and Carl Ivan,  Given Names is modified in its dropdown menu with Match Any Words.

The hit which matches best is Carl Ivan Anderson who is the correct age but died in 1980 and in Coquitlam BC about 22 km. east of Vancouver. Perhaps he lived in Vancouver, and/or the lawyer's office was located there.
There are other close hits, but this is the first one I would and can check on Friday.
Do the relatives have any obituaries of him?
Do they want photocopies if I find material?
What was his mother's names?

A terrific Pacific storm--the season's first--is raging on Canada's Westcoast, so we'll see how long the electricity lasts on this little island of Hornby.

Thomas

2006-09-18, 07:48
Svar #7

Utloggad Karin Ekeroth

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Thomas,
I\ll try the link you gave and see where I land. I hope to have more information soon. There is apparently information in the papers from the lawyer, but I haven?t had access to them yet. His parents were:
August Andersson born 1847 in Ryr, Skållerud and  
Sofia Eriksdotter born Sept 9, 1853 also Ryr.

Hope you don\t lose your power!
mvh,
Karin

2006-09-24, 04:09
Svar #8

Utloggad Thomas Vikander

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hello Karin, and also Judy:  
BC Death Registration, BC Archives, Victoria, BC.:
It seems he was known as Carl Ivan Anderson in British Columbia when he died at 88 years, Nov. 19, 1980 at Valleyview Hospital in Coquitlam, BC.
His usual address was 951 Boundary Road, Vancouver, BC.
His marital status: single.
His birthdate is as you have stated, and in Alvsborg, Sweden.
He was buried Nov. 24,1980 at the Riverview-Valleyview Hospital Cemetery,  
Port Coquitlam, BC.

In the 1980 BC Directories, page 224, we see 951 Boundary Road occupied by Taylor Intermediate Care Home.  
So he lived on the Vancouver side of the road, the other (east) side being Burnaby, BC.
It seems he was in hospital yet another suburb east of Burnaby, in Coquitlam. One suburb further east is Port Coquitlam, where he is buried.

I have checked the 1965 and 1955 BC Directories and it's a guess which Anderson is Carl Ivan.
In 1955 there is a C. Anderson at 215 Princess St., in Vancouver, and a Carl Anderson, logger, at 146 East Cordova St., Vancouver. Both addresses are in an area loggers lived between shipping out for jobs up the coast.

Regards,
Thomas V.

2006-09-24, 16:09
Svar #9

Utloggad Karin Ekeroth

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Thomas,
Thank you very much for this information. It differs a bit from the family story, but that just goes to show how they can get muddled. Now we know what his job was and where he lived. Strange though, that he never contacted his brother in Alaska. I will pass this on to the other relatives.

Tusen tack till er båda!
Karin

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna