ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: JOHNSON, JONASSON, Carl August, b. 1886-06-25, em.1905  (läst 1786 gånger)

2006-01-15, 09:37
läst 1786 gånger

Carina Hansson

Hi,
I'm looking for ancestors to Carl A, who left Lund in Sweden 1905 and went to 612 Hannover St. Milwaukee, where his brother Axel G lived. After that I have no idea about were this brothets lived and I'm also wondering if they got any family?
Most thankfull for your help!
Regards,
Carina Hansson

2006-01-15, 12:57
Svar #1

Bo Johansson

Maybe this is him from Emigranten CD

Name: CARL A JONASON
Parish: LUND
County: M (Malmöhus)
Title: SMED (smith)
Port: MALMÖ
Date: 1905-06-27
Destination: NEW YORK
Fellows: NEJ (Alone)
Source code: 1905:1692:595

Befolkning 1890 has 3 Carl August born 1886 in Lund, this one might be yours:

Jonasson, Jöns - arbetare (worker) b. 1840 in Gudmuntorp (Malmöhus county, Skåne province) married man, father

Persdotter, Anna - (wife) b. 1847 in Stehag (Malmöhus county, Skåne province) married woman, mother

Johanna - (daughter) b. 1872 in Lund (Malmöhus county, Skåne province) unmarried woman, child

Christina Maria - (daughter) b. 1877  in Lund (Malmöhus county, Skåne province) girl, child

Mathilda - (daughter) b. 1881 in Lund (Malmöhus county, Skåne province) girl, child

Axel Gottfrid - (son) b. 1883 in Lund (Malmöhus county, Skåne province) boy, child

Carl August - (son) b. 1886 in Lund (Malmöhus county, Skåne province) boy, child

John Einar - (son) b. 1889 in Lund (Malmöhus county, Skåne province) boy, child

Drottens Rote, Lunds stadsförs [Lund city parish] (Malmöhus county, Skåne province)

// Bo Johansson

2006-01-16, 00:51
Svar #2

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 354
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-11-29, 20:15
    • Visa profil
Yes, the Johnson brothers lived on Hanover Street in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on the 1910 census, although the number of the house was a little different.  They were roomers in a house at 568 Hanover Street.  Axel G. Johnson was 27 years old, a roomer, said that he and his parents were born in Sweden, and he worked as a moulder at a foundry.  Carl Johnson was 24 and was listed as a roomer in the same house.  He said that he was a machinist at a machine shop.  Axel's year of immigration was listed incorrectly, since it said 1907, rather than 1902.  His naturalization status was PA - pending application.  Carl came in 1905, and he also was pending application for citizenship.  Neither of them were married in 1910
   Now I'll see if I can find them in other censuses.

2006-01-16, 02:14
Svar #3

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
I will send a copy of the 1910 census to your e-mail address as an attachment.  I can't seem to find these brothers in other censuses because they must have moved, and they have very common names.

2006-01-16, 06:53
Svar #4

Carina Hansson

Dear Karen,
Maybe they are in Chicago 1920, and if it's them one of the brother died sometime between 1920 and 1930, but I'm not sure that it's my brothers. There are so many as you said with these namne and in the same age. I don't know who to find out if there are some records in US telling about movement between cities?
I have a nice photo on Axel as he sent home to his parents from Milwaukee. There ought to be some relatives in US that perhaps could know anything their lifes in US with help of the photo?!
Many thanks for your help!
Best Regards,
Carina

2006-01-16, 16:17
Svar #5

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
I will do more searching for you when I get to the library - which has a fast connection and an Ancestry subscription.  I will try to find their WWI draft registrations, which will tell us where they lived in 1918, and I will look in the 1920 and 1930 census to see if they moved to Chicago.  Looking at Chgo. death records would not tell us much, since there is no way to tell how old the person was at the time of death, unless you file to get a copy of each one.  There are five Carl August Johnsons listed in Chicago's on-line death index!  The brothers might have stayed in Milwaukee, but the Heritage search engine did not pick them up, so I might find them in the future using Ancestry - which I do not have here at home.  Maybe someone reading this site could search for their WWI draft registrations????

2006-01-18, 16:04
Svar #6

Carina Hansson

Dear Karen,
I'm so greatfull for that you are trying to help me!  I wonder what's WWI draft registration, never have heard about this before?
Best regards,
Carina Hansson

2006-01-27, 20:26
Svar #7

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
I searched for draft registration cards and I came up with one that might fit your Johnson brothers.  It is the draft registration card for a Carl August Johnson, born 27-June 1886 in Sweden.  You Carl August was born 25- June, so perhaps this is not the correct person.  Otherwise, I could not locate either of the brothers in the 1930 census.

2006-01-27, 23:28
Svar #8

Utloggad Mats Ahlgren

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4737
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 20:42
    • Visa profil
I guess the draft card is for this person
(from CD Emibas)
Post 94906
Johansson Karlsson, Karl August J
Son (unmarried man)
b. 6/27/1886 in Hogstad, Östergötlands län (Östergötland)
Emigrated 3/?/1905
from Tibbeshöga, Hogstad, Östergötlands län (Östergötland)
to Nordamerika
Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 202
Emibas migration file ID: Hogstad E 1905 002

2006-01-28, 00:39
Svar #9

Utloggad Mats Ahlgren

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Carina

I guess Axel G was born Oct 2, 1883. If this is correct I might have found two draft cards for, what looks to be, the brothers mentioned above.

According to this is Carl August married with three kids.

In Census 1920 is Axel indexed as Axel Jerssen living in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on Muskego Avenue with his three years older wife Florentine. Seems like a Ruth Radtke is living on the same adress, she is 18 and the enumerator has written Stepmother, which I guess should be stepdaughter.
Source: 1920 United States Federal Census  Wisconsin  Milwaukee  Milwaukee Ward 11  District 135sheet 4B

Charles A Janson might be the brother. He lives on Howell Avenue with wife and three kids. The wife is from Wisconsin. He is working in a Belting Shop

In 1930 is a Alex G Jerson, belt maker, a possible candidate, he lives with Florentine on Muskego Avenue. Some uncertanty might be around the fact that the enumerator has written that he is born in Wisconsin by German parents. On the other hand is the same written for Florentine so it might be a mistake.

A Charles Jarsson lives in 1930 on Howell Ave, correct age and born in Sweden. He is a beltmaker and it is written that he is married since 1913 but I cant find anything about the rest of the family

I think with above in mind it might be possible to find more info around the brothers

2006-01-28, 08:22
Svar #10

Carina Hansson

Dear Mats,
Many thanks!!! This is absolutly the brothers I'm seeking for. But their name is Jonsson, don't think that they change to Jansson or Jersson. their fathers name is Jöns Jonasson and their sisters and brother who stayed in Sweden was taken the name Jönsson.  
Now I'm more hopefull to find any family left after them, and hope that someone would be kind to help me!
Best regards,
Carina

2006-01-28, 14:31
Svar #11

Utloggad Mats Ahlgren

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Carina

Changing surname wasn't any problem.
You can see what they have written by their own hands , as they signed the draft cards at the bottom of page one.

2006-01-28, 16:49
Svar #12

Utloggad Mats Ahlgren

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Carina

I found Charles wife Alma (indexed as Janssen) and the three daughters Orlinda, b 1912, Gladys b 1913 and Bernice , born March - April 1917 in the 1930 census. Charles was on page 24B and the rest of the family on page 31A

As Charles has own children it is still a possibility to find relatives, but the problem is that girls often changes surnames (who invented that stupid tradition?)

If you find it interesting I can mail you the actual pages fromn 1920 and 1930. Just let me know

Mats

2006-01-28, 17:03
Svar #13

Carina Hansson

Please mail me the pages.
Many, many thanks for your work!
Carina Hansson

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna