ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Johannes Persson Brändehag - Ottumwa (Iowa)  (läst 1063 gånger)

2007-07-18, 17:26
läst 1063 gånger

Anders Eriksson

Hi!
I am looking for information about a man named Johannes Persson. He was born 1818 in Våxtorp county (place Bölinge) Sweden. He was living with his family on a farm in Brändehag, also Våxtorp county for many years. When his wife past away he decided to emigrate to United States. At a age at 55 years he left Sweden (from Gothenburg) together with four children. Emigration took place from Gothenburg 1873-04-18.
The childrens name was:
Johanna Johannesdotter (could be Persson), born 1858.
Carl Johannesson (could be Persson), born 1858
Elise Johannesdotter (could be Persson), born 1862.
Neta Johannesdotter (could be Persson), born 1865.
All the children was born in Brändehag (Våxtorp)
Johannes and the childrens destination was OTTUMWA in Iowa.
If anyone has any information about this family, I would really appricate hearing from you.
Kind regards
Anders Eriksson
Örkelljunga, Sweden

2007-07-18, 21:25
Svar #1

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
You are in luck, perhaps, if the people went to Ottumwa, Iowa. There is a very active genealogical society (Wapello County Genealogical Society) which has a library there. I have found much detailed information in that library about the family of my mom's cousin's husband.

This is the website for that society. Perhaps they will do some research for you. (I suppose there will be a fee.)

http://www.rootsweb.com/~iawapegs/

I don't live near there. It is many hours away from my home.

This is how the family looks on the Emibas CD. Birthdates don't match completely.

Post 684199

Persson, Johannes
Hemmansägare fd (widower)

b. 5/18/1818 in Våxtorp, Hallands län (Halland)

Emigrated 1873
from Brännehag, Våxtorp, Hallands län (Halland)
to Amerika

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 403

Emibas migration file ID: Våxtorp N 1873 001

Post 684200

Johannesdotter Persson, Johanna
Dotter (unmarried woman)

b. 2/2/1856 in Våxtorp, Hallands län (Halland)

Emigrated 1873
to Amerika

Emibas migration file ID: Våxtorp N 1873 002

Post 684201

Johanneson Persson, Carl
Son (unmarried man)

b. 7/21/1859 in Våxtorp, Hallands län (Halland)

Emigrated 1873
to Amerika

Emibas migration file ID: Våxtorp N 1873 003

Post 684202

Johannesdotter, Elise
Dotter (unmarried woman)

b. 4/26/1862 in Våxtorp, Hallands län (Halland)

Emigrated 1873
to Amerika

Emibas migration file ID: Våxtorp N 1873 004

Post 684203

Johannesdotter, Neta
Dotter (unmarried woman)

b. 2/18/1866 in Våxtorp, Hallands län (Halland)

Emigrated 1873
to Amerika

Emibas migration file ID: Våxtorp N 1873 005

Perhaps someone has the time to check censuses, etc. for you but also check with that genealogical society. They have fantastic information there.

Judy

2007-07-19, 10:15
Svar #2

Anders Eriksson

Hi Judy!
Thank you, I am very grateful for the help.
I will soon as possible check that website and see if I can get some help from this society. Perhaps I have luck, I hope so.
Thanks again!
Anders!

2007-07-20, 08:12
Svar #3

Marilyn Hamill

Anders:
Only found Neta in the 1880 and 1885 Iowa censuses.
Iowa, Buena Vista County, Nokomis Township, Village of Alta, SD 4, ED 18, p 7a (24A), 9 June 1880, Visit 63, family 68
Dick, John W, white, male, 37, head, married, farmer, b New York, father b Scotland, mother b New York
Dick, Clarissa, white, female, 25, wife, married, keeping house, b Iowa, f b Ohio, m b Massachusetts
Dick, Charles E, white, male, 2, soan, single, Iowa, NY, Iowa
Dick, Frances H, white, male, 5/12, January, daughter, single, b Iowa, f b NY, m b Iowa
Piersons, Netta, white, female, 14, -, single, at school, b Sweden, f b Sweden, m b Sweden

1885, Iowa, Storm Lake Township, Buena Vista, block 47, page 489, visit 242, family 242
Demuth, Joshua, 64, male, white, married, farmer, born Maryland, father foreign born, voter
Demuth, Louisa, 59, female, white, married, born Norway, parents foreign born
Demuth, Frank O, 18, male white, single, born Benton County, Iowa, mother foreign born, military age
Pierson, Nettie, 20, female, white, single, born Norway, parents foreign born

Hope this helps.

2007-07-20, 10:22
Svar #4

Anders Eriksson

Hi Marilyn!
Thank you very much. Do you think this is the right Neta? Pierson sounds OK because of the fathers last name, and the age is the right, but in 1885 censuns the wright born in Norway?
Anyway i must try to check this up, could be right. You don?t find anything about the other members of the family?
Now I must find some way to check this.
Thanks again!
Anders!

2007-07-20, 23:47
Svar #5

Marilyn Hamill

Anders:
I believe this is the right Neta.  It is hard to search for the others without knowing their full names.  They may have Americanized their names.  I did find a Charles Pierson in Iowa with the right birth year--maybe this is Carl?  Can't know for sure.  I do know that they are not found in Wapello County, where Ottumwa is.  Wapello County is in the far southeast corner of Iowa and Buena Vista County is in the far northwest corner.  Maybe the family never arrived there.

I searched the entire US for anyone named John and Johnson, born 1818 + or - 1 yr in Sweden and found 13 men.  Of those only 2 were not married and none of them were in Iowa.  I looked at the two unmarried ones and they were living alone.  Searching for John Person, I did find a man named John Pierson born 1818 in Sweden, in Iowa, but he was also there in 1870, so is not the correct one.

Looking for Carl Person I got nothing.  Thirteen Carl Johnsons, none in Iowa.  I found a Johanna Pearson alone doing laundry in Chicago, Illinois, 3 Johanna Johnsons living alone in New York and Michigan.  Nothing for Elise Person or Elise Johnson.  I used the Soundex feature to catch all the name variations.  65 people named Person/Pearson, etc in Iowa, but none looked like the correct ones.

As for the 1885 census showing Norway for Nettie's place of birth.  Could be an error.  She may not have been home when the census taker came and the family wasn't sure where she was from.

It looks like maybe everyone in the family died except Neta shortly after they arrived here, or both of the sisters got married and used Americanized versions of their names.  That would account for Neta living with a family that was not her own at the age of 14.  Maybe she became a governess. There was no occupation listed for her in 1885.  

Good luck, Anders!

Marilyn

2007-07-21, 10:01
Svar #6

Anders Eriksson

Hi!
Thank you Marilyn for all the work you done with the family Johannes Persson. Yes, maybe it is the right Neta. I will try to find out more about her if it?s possible. As yoy say, maybe they never reached Iowa. Some accident or maybe they change destination on the way out. But the destination when they left Gothenburg in april 18 year 1873 was Ottumwa. Maybe they got other ideas on the way over with the ship, you never know. Anyhow I will try to get some more information on this Neta. I will try to search information in this Buena Vista County, maybe someone there have some information.
Thanks again Marilyn and have a nice weekend! (Here in southern Sweden it?s raining, but I hope the weather will be better in the afternoon/evening because the meaning was barbecue today).
Anders!

2007-07-21, 13:27
Svar #7

Utloggad Mats Ahlgren

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4737
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 20:42
    • Visa profil
I think it is worth looking at this man, when I read the original document I see Pierson, not Benson

1880 United States Federal Census  
about Charles Benson  
Name: Charles Benson  
Home in 1880: Nokomis, Buena Vista, Iowa  
Estimated birth year: abt 1859  
Birthplace: Sweden  
Relation to head-of-household: Something other than a direct relationship (Other)  
Father's birthplace: Swe  
Mother's birthplace: Swe  
Neighbors: View others on page  
Marital Status: Single  
Race: White  

I would also look at the following girl, even if i'm not sure att all that she belongs to this search

1880 United States Federal Census  
about Emma Benson  
Name: Emma Benson  
Home in 1880: Alta, Buena Vista, Iowa  
Estimated birth year: abt 1861  
Birthplace: Sweden  
Relation to head-of-household: Something other than a direct relationship (Other)  
Father's birthplace: Sweden  
Mother's birthplace: Sweden  
Neighbors: View others on page  
Marital Status: Single  
Race: White  

Can't find Johanna (yet)

2007-07-22, 08:43
Svar #8

Anders Eriksson

Hallo Mats!
Interesting with this Charles Benson and worth to check, but the name Benson sounds mystery for me. It?s not near Persson, Person or Pierson, but maybe they wright it wrong. Otherwise the age and birthcountry are correct. Same with the girl Emma Benson, do you mean that the name Emma could be instead for Elise?
Anders!

2007-07-22, 09:35
Svar #9

Marilyn Hamill

Mats:
Good eye!  That is indeed Charles Pierson in Buena Vista County.  Perhaps Carl changed his name.
Marilyn

2007-07-22, 15:50
Svar #10

Utloggad Mats Ahlgren

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4737
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 20:42
    • Visa profil
Wonder if we can find them in Census 1885, at least Carl/charles ought to have the same surname

2007-07-25, 10:19
Svar #11

Anders Eriksson

Hallo!
I have also checked that original document 1880 Federal Census (Thanks to Mats), and I read it same as Mats. It must be Pierson not Benson. Is there anyone who could find the familymembers in next Cencus (1885). Neta was found by Marilyn in 1885, but if someone could find the others, Charles (Carl) and Emma (Elise?), I should be very grateful.
Anders!

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna