ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Johanna Nelsdotter/Nelsson  (läst 1204 gånger)

2007-09-20, 14:26
läst 1204 gånger

Noreen Johnson Casson

When did she leave Sweden & where did she come from?
Probable date of birth: May 9, 1852

Probable residence at time of embarkation: Karup3, Östra Karup, Kristianstads län (Halland).

Possible date of embarkation: 1879 -1880

Family verbal history says she was sent to Amerika by the family of Nils Peter Johansson in order to prevent the marriage of the two. Hanna was a maid in the household. Nils Peter followed her after about a year (he emigrated in March, 1881) and they were married in 1882 in Illinois. He died of typhoid there in 1887.

Family history also suggests she had one brother, Kristian, born Sept 26, 1858; and 2 sisters - names unknown. I would like to find her parents and her place of birth if possible.

2007-09-20, 18:00
Svar #1

Utloggad Elena Holmqvist

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 32
  • Senast inloggad: Aldrig
    • Visa profil
Hi Noreen!

I´ve tried to find your Johanna in Emibas. There is non that I can see who lived in Östra Karup that emigrated to Amerika. There are a lot of Johannas´s but it´s hard when you don´t know when and where she was born.
I´ve also looked in the cencus of Östra Karup no.3 but I can´t find here there either.  
Haven´t you got any more info.??

Regards
Elena Holmqvist

2007-09-21, 00:12
Svar #2

Utloggad Magnus Persson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 139
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-02, 10:35
    • Visa profil
Hi Noreen!

This has proven to be rather difficult. However I think I found Nils Peter Johansson at Karup nr 3. He leaves for America on March 4th 1881. Working at the same farm between 1877 and 1880 is a Johanna Johansdotter born May 9th 1857 in Östra Karup. She moves to Hemmeslöv nr 2 in 1880 and from there she emigrates on March 4th 1881 (the same date as Nils Peter Johansson). I think this is your Johanna. I will ask Gun Pålsson (she's the Östra Karup expert) to have a look at this.

However there is something wrong with her birthdate/birthplace since there is no Johanna born in Östra Karup on May 9th 1857 (according to the birthrecords). I followed her back to 1877 when she comes from Skummeslöv to Karup nr 3, Östra Karup. Unfortunately, I don't have the household examination rolls for Skummeslöv at home so I can't follow her further today. (She's not born in Skummeslöv either from what I can see. I have the birthrecords for Skummeslöv at home too.)

I have more information about Nils Peter Johansson's ancestors, if you are interested email me at mp@anti.nu

Best regards,

Magnus

2007-09-21, 01:23
Svar #3

Noreen Casson

Thank you Elena & Magnus...I think I've got her!

Part of the problem was my birthdate - now I think her birthdate was 9 May 1851. I found her family in Halland, Östra Karup, Husförhör, 1850-1859 (GID 1811.12.83800) Now I know her parents names, her siblings, and her emigration date. I am so excited to have found this! Can hardly wait to tell my father I've found his grandmother.

Now I need to know where Östra Karup, Halland is as I cannot find it on the map I have. I hope to visit there in May, 2009. Can sosmeone tell me what city is nearby?

2007-09-21, 09:30
Svar #4

Gun Pålson

Hi Noreen,
Johannes Nilsson, was born 1818 22/4 and he was son of Nils Persson and Anna Lena Jonasdotter in Planteringshuset, Östra Karup. Petronella Svensdotter was born 1821 16/11 and daughter to Sven Persson and Anna Larsdotter in Täppesås. They married 1845 6/12. Planteringshuset and Täppesås are both located in Östra Karup.
Johannes bought in Eskilstorp half of a farm in 1845 and he built new houses.
Petronella Svensdotter died 1861 2/4 and Johannes remarried 1864 4/4 to Petronella Olsdotter, born 1821 6/11. They got two children.
Johannes Nilsson died 1891 23/2.
You asked where to find Östra Karup.
If you look at the map and follow the west-coast. We are about 2,5 Sw. miles south of Halmstad, by the road E 6.
I can tell you that if I look out of my windows I can see the present houses at Eskilstorp no 2, where Johanna was born. It is not a farm today and
it is located on the north side of Hallandsåsen by the road between Östra Karup and Båstad.
Best regards
Gun Pålsson

2007-09-21, 16:30
Svar #5

Bo Johansson

This seems to be your Eskilstorp, Östra Karup:  map

// Bo Johansson

2007-09-21, 16:50
Svar #6

Gun Pålson

Hi Noreen,
Yes, Bo is not quiet correct, there are many houses and farms with the name Eskilstorp in that area. You will find your farm if you follow the yellow road towards Båstad to where the railway cross the road and on the south side you count west to the third little black road. There is no house marked on the map, but there it is.
Gun Pålsson

2007-09-21, 22:19
Svar #7

Noreen Casson

Oh my...I will print this information and take it with us in May. How exciting to find the area where family lived so long ago.

Thank you!

Gun...I hope you do not mind but I have mentioned your name in an e-mail I sent to the church in Östra Karup. I'm asking if there are still family members who might be interested in either meeting my sister and I or receiving old family photos via e-mail. After I did that I realized it would have been more polite to ask your permission. I do apologize for that lapse and hope it is not a terrible imposition.

This has been such a positive experience for me I do hope I haven't ruined it.

Please forgive me.

Noreen

2007-09-21, 23:52
Svar #8

Utloggad Gun Pålsson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 228
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-12-25, 19:31
    • Visa profil
Hi Noreen,
No, of course I don?t mind! But I don?t know if the church will be able to help you.
I have done a quick search for you and I think there are relatives still living here in Östra Karup or in the area around here.
I am a little short of time at the moment, but I will try to find some time next week to search more careful for you. I will come back to you by e-mail.

About the map! I said you should count the roads from the railway to west, but it should be east.
Gun

2007-09-23, 01:07
Svar #9

Noreen Casson

Thank you, Gun...I did figure out the roads to the East of the railroad tracks and I am amazed!

I am relieved you are not upset with me...I have not heard anything back from the church. I expect if I do hear something it will be after the pastor has had a chance to talk to any relatives still in the area and has their permission to tell me about them.

I neglected to give my home address to the church...if I hear from them that they need that, I'm happy to provide it.

E-mail is just so much faster! Instant gratification!

All the best,

Noreen

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna