ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: James Foster born Sweden c1840. Sailmaker in Liverpool  (läst 897 gånger)

2006-10-02, 00:14
läst 897 gånger

Alan Gorry

The earliest record I have of my greatgrandfather James is the certificate of marriage to Mary Ann Burgess on 22 July 1878 in Walton on the Hill, Liverpool. He was a sailmaker, and his father, also named James Foster, was described on the marriage certificate as a Customs House Officer - whether in England or Sweden I do not know.

James appears in the 1881 and 1891 England censuses where his date of birth, in Sweden, is c1840, and he is described as a Naturalised British Subject. He died in Liverpool in 1894. The only hint, and only record, I have of another possible relative is from the 1901 census where a Thomas Foster, born in Sweden c1836, and a sailmaker, lived in a house in Liverpool where one of James' sons was known to have lived later in the year. I have not found Thomas in any other census.

The General Record Office in London can find no naturalisation papers under the name 'James Foster' and suggest he has probably anglicised his Swedish name.

Does this ring a bell with anyone out there? I would very much appreciate any sort of lead to James Swedish roots.

regards to all

Alan Gorry

2006-10-03, 21:09
Svar #1

Utloggad Per Linder

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 422
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-07-31, 00:01
    • Visa profil
Hello Alan, I have a Swedish sail maker who got married in Liverpool, St. Nicolas in 1854, so James was not unique. He was from Kalmar which was quite an important port town at that time.

At first sight Foster is not a very common name. However, he could have been of German (Forster) or Dutch (Voster) origin.

Another possibiblity is that the Foster's were English and worked in Sweden for some time.

You need to get as much information on James jr. Names of his children can also be useful.

Regards

Per

2006-10-03, 21:29
Svar #2

Utloggad Per Linder

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
I checked Anneli Hagman's homepage where she list civil servants at the customs and I could not fin James (or Jakob) Foster there.

http://www.kallisti.se/anneli/tull1/

I suggest that you write her an email.

2006-10-06, 20:27
Svar #3

Alan Gorry

Per

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you - I'm tied up doing some of the jobs around the house I've been neglecting, so not much time on the net.

Thanks very much for your response; I've noted what you said and am also following your advise to email Anneli Hagman. Who knows, perhaps I'll be shouting a loud 'EUREKA'?

regards

Alan

2006-10-07, 11:15
Svar #4

Utloggad Per Linder

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Alan, some reflections: his first name was probably Jakob or Jacob. Could also be Jonas or Johan.  

He could also have anglicised a Swedish name like Forsberg or Forsman.

At any rate it should not be too dificult to find the Swedish link, once we know more of his old name.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna