ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2000-juli-29  (läst 2387 gånger)

2000-07-22, 09:26
läst 2387 gånger

Utloggad Lena Thelin

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 5118
  • Senast inloggad: 2020-09-16, 22:02
    • Visa profil
    • www.arleco.nu/minslakt/sv
Hello Donna!

I was wondering if you could check a birth in Canada and see if it the correct birthplace that I have?

Lindstrom, Richard (Dick) Herman born 1914-03-30 in British Columbia, Kanada. I have found that information on the Californien (USA) deathregister.

Thanks

Regards  
Lena Thelin

2000-07-22, 12:51
Svar #1

Utloggad Ulric Björck

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 111
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-11-20, 21:20
    • Visa profil
Hi Donna! When I visited Vancouver last summer I did know by word of mouth that my ggf had emigrated there and possibly stayed and passed away there as well. I mentioned it for friends in the US who we travelled with (to visit their relatives in Vancouver) but they are not into genealogy and did not know how to go about in order to find out more information. I also tried to search the web for possible information before we went there, but for a little more than a year ago, quite some of the sites that are now available for genealogists did not exist, or were hard to come by for me. Of course, we were also short on time, aren't you always when you travel....So I guess I tried to research him then, but now I have been more succesful, and a lot more dedicated to.

Apparently, Frans, my ggf, was not the only family member to come to Canada. My gf younger brother (the one right next after him), went to Canada to look for Frans and to get work I guess. The story says he found him, but that they did not stay together, at least not for very long. The brother, Oskar (nick-named Olle), born in 1901, continued to Australia and started in the mining industry. Olle raised a family in Australia and my uncle (and aunt) has been there to see his cousin  - it amazes me that I have next cousins in Austraila and I hope to get to see them some day.

The rest of the family stayed in Sweden (to my knowledge) and have moved to different places in Sweden. In addition to the eight children Frans and Jacobina had, Jacobina had two kids prior to the marriage with Frans, with other fathers. My gf, Johan, started working with railroad construction (I wonder if he was a navvy?) in Västernorrland and continued with train garages (engine sheds?). Eventually he started as a engine-driver, engineer and continued doing that untill he passed away suddenly in 1959 due to a heart condition.

So, since I never got a chance to meet him (I was born in 1970), I'm really curious on learnig more about his life and his roots of course!

Regards

Ulric

2000-07-22, 17:46
Svar #2

Donna Corlett

Hi Lena!  I am sorry but I cannot check this for you.  Birth records are only accessible/available (to the public)-100 years after the date of the event in British Columbia, Canada.  At this point in time registered births are only searchable up to 1899...since Richard was born in 1914-you can see the problem!
It IS possible for family members to request a photocopy of a birth certificate not yet open to the public...provided you complete a FORM that they require, including your name, address-connection/relationship to this person and why you wish to obtain a copy of their birth certificate-and of course a FEE ($27 Canadian).  If your request is approved...they will photocopy the certificate and courier it to you.

By the way, I did check the marriage records (open to 1924) and there were 16 marriages where the surname was Lindstrom-6 males/10 females.
Then the death index. There were 25 deaths listed (open to 1979) for the surname Lindstrom.
The birth index.  There were no births recorded for the surname Lindstrom up to 1899.
ALL three indexes start at 1872...I guess I should mention that too.

So it is up to you-obviously!  I guess since you have the death certificate, you already know when he passed away...are you looking for this birth record to hope fully glean some more information (where in BC he was born, parents...?) or purely for having a personal record?  
I'm really sorry that I can't be of more help to you with that specific request...is there anything else?  Please let me know!

Regards,
Donna

2000-07-22, 18:08
Svar #3

Donna Corlett

Hi Ulric!  Thanks for your quick response.  I found it quite interesting-especially how you said that the word of mouth was that he had emigrated there-and possibly stayed-passed away as well.  Did he ever return to Sweden (even for a visit) that you know of?  If no, how difficult that must have been for Jacobina...and all those children!!!
Well enough of my rambling on!  I am off to the libraries for the afternoon to do some searching- hopefully I will locate some more information (the ship list-etc.?!)-so I'll be back later!

Regards,
Donna

2000-07-22, 20:54
Svar #4

Utloggad Ulric Björck

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hi Donna! Thank you for quick response to! I  
don't think that he returned to Sweden (even  
for a visit), and yes, it was really, really hard for  
Jacobina and the children to survive.  
Apparantly, someone who knew about my  
grandfather's background asked What  
childhood? There were never a childhood as  
we know it for these children...., when they  
talked about my grandfather and his siblings  
childhood....

Anyway, I don't know what happened to all of  
Jacobina's and Frans's children, but I'm  
working on that, I have the names and dates,  
but some puzzeling remains...

Jacobina managed eventhough it was terrible,  
terrible poor and she actually got 89 years old.  
One story about here (that I have heard from  
several sources) tells about her running away  
from the old people's home and hitchhiking  
into town...so the word is that she was a real  
fighter...and that Frans might have gotten tired  
of her or the other way around...

I have been researching Frans's roots since  
about January this year and I have actually  
gotten as far back as 1666 on some  
branches, so knowing more about Frans's (or  
Frank's) whereabouts and actions in the  
2000th Century would really be good to know!

Thank you again Donna for your efforts and  
help, it is very much appreciated.

Ulric

2000-07-23, 01:56
Svar #5

Donna Corlett

Hi Ulric!  Well I've got some good news for you!  The death form is on it's way to me (thanks to my friend Eric!)-it should be here the beginning of next week.  Some other good news for you!!  Today at the reference library I found the ship list for your ggf!
He sailed aboard SS Victorian from Liverpool on April 15, 1910.  He landed at Halifax, Nova Scotia.  On the manifest he is listed as Frans Bjork, 44 years of age, a farm labourer-destined to WARDNER, BC.  He has $25 on his person -which is the minimum immigrants had to have upon their arrival to ensure they would not (immediately) become a public charge.
I printed the manifest page if you would like to have a copy of it...and I will gladly post this to you-please just send me your mailing address-privately of course!  OK?!!!  I really love these (all forms actually) as they are a piece of history..the start of a new life in a new world...you know?
Well I have had some dealings with Wardner...and am going to check a few more things...I'll be back and I hope to hear from you soon (what you think?!).
Interesting message...it must have been so hard for Jacobina with ten children!  I can't even imagine...she must have been quite a lady.  I suupose family/friends helped her best they could, yes?
By the way, you are very welcome Ulric.  Let's see what else we can find....

Kind regards,
Donna

2000-07-23, 07:39
Svar #6

Utloggad Lena Thelin

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 5118
  • Senast inloggad: 2020-09-16, 22:02
    • Visa profil
    • www.arleco.nu/minslakt/sv
Hi Donna!

Thanks for your answer.

I wanted only a confirming of his birthplace, nothing more.  

His brother who was born 1912 was born in Washington, USA.

So the family moved around a bit before they moved to Californien USA.

Thanks again

Lena Thelin

2000-07-23, 22:05
Svar #7

Utloggad Ulric Björck

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Dear Donna! This is really good news! I did  
not know this and it is really interesting to  
know how he actually came to Canada and  
when. I have never heard of Wardner BC, is it  
far from Vancouver? Everyone that I have  
talked to about my ggf speak about Vancouver,  
but perhaps they are not so far away? Thank  
you so much for finding this!  

I would love to have a copy of the manifest!  
Where do you find the manifest? I guess that  
they are not online, but available in certain  
libraries or archives? I send you a mail, with  
my adress to.

I there is anything I can do for you here in  
Sweden, please let me know and I will do my  
best to help you!

Ulric

2000-07-24, 05:13
Svar #8

Donna Corlett

Hi Lena!  Again I am sorry that I cannot be of more help in obtaining a copy of the birth record for Richard...as I said you can formally request the birth record...it can be time consuming and perhaps a little costly (the fee they charge)-but it is up to you.  If you decide to, I am sure that I could probably help you complete the process....from your message I assume that it is not something you wish to pursue, correct?!

After reading your reply, I had another thought!
It does seem a little strange that Richard would be born here in Canada in 1914 and his brother in Washington USA in 1912...and it seems from what you said that at least Richard ended up (later!) in California.  So did his family emigrate to the USA in 1912 (or another year?)...then they came to Canada...and then returned to the USA?
It might not be of interest to you..but border entry records of persons entering Canada from the USA were brought into use after 1908...so a record should exist of the families entrance to Canada.  There are many different border entry points but it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out which they would have used-since they obviously were in Washington first (Richard's brothers birth).  Does this record interest you?  Do you already know/have details for all the family members to Richard?  Did they all return to and remain in the USA (what year did they leave Canada-again...do you know when?)  What are the family members names?
I don't know if this interests you...but please let me know-OK?!  

Regards,
Donna

2000-07-24, 05:54
Svar #9

Donna Corlett

Hi Ulric!  Glad to hear it was a pleasant surprise for you!  It is interesting to learn the details of an ancestors trip/arrival in a new land, isn't it?!  All the promise and hope that they must have had!!

Wardner, British Columbia is 558km (349 miles)east of Vancouver,BC.  Wardner may have been his intended destination according to the manifest...but of course he may have moved on at any time...I could not find population statistics for Wardner-but it is a small place (town)...not like Vancouver!  Perhaps he decided to move to the big city in the hopes of an even brighter future with more opportunities?!!

I found the ship manifest at the main reference library here in Toronto where I live.  No those sort of things aren't online and can take a fair amount of time to locate (sometimes).  Of course I couldn't have found it so easily had you not provided such great information so...let's just say it was a team effort!  Based on the departure date you gave me he could have been on one of five different microfilm reels (various ports were is use for landings!).  It just so happened that he was on the first one I checked...I love it when that happens!
I will gladly mail you the copies (I made you two-just in case!) early this week as I got your private message with your mailing address (thanks).  I will be back to you as soon as I receive the death certificate.
Another interesting route may be to check the city directories and see where he lived/what he did (occupation)-through the years he spent here. I will look into that...and let you know.

Well,that is all for today!  Hope to hear from you soon too!

Take care,
Donna

2000-07-24, 23:08
Svar #10

Utloggad Ulric Björck

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hi Donna! It is indeed interesting with as  
many details as possible, it really helps one's  
imagination about life in another era. Strange  
about Wardner, though, I have never heard  
about that place, so maybee you are right that  
he soon traveled on to Vancouver, or word of  
mouth may have been pointing in the wrong  
direction this time....(it  
wouldn't be the first...) However, I guess that  
Vancouver on the death certificate is pointing  
in the Vancouver direction.

Thank you for continuing the quest! How much  
information do you think one could get out of  
other kinds of  listings if we consider that my  
ggf probably was rather poor? Will still  
occupation and stuff  like that be listed  
somewhere?

Take care!

Ulric

2000-07-25, 02:47
Svar #11

Donna Corlett

Hi Ulric!  I agree wholeheartedly with your words!
I enjoy the searching, helping and I get quite a thrill out of finding things for someone's ancestor(s)-for both it's historic value and the personal connection of it...

On the topic of Fran's destination....I don't think that the word of mouth was necessarily wrong...I believe he originally went to Wardner and then on to Vancouver.  He had to provide his intended destination in Canada...and seeing that Wardner is so small, I find it a little strange that he would even know of it.  I must tell you however, that I have seen that destination before (recently) for other Swedes...perhaps this was an area that was growing (had big plans for development) at that time-and was advertised/featured as new and full of opportunity, you know?!  
I do know that land grants were being offered to immigrants through most of the west...as they (the government) were trying to give an incentive to settle in western Canada.  I have found a book for the west (mainly focused on Saskatchewan) that has ads used in the early 1900's in foreign land publications-and surely distributed to booking agents abroad as well!  These ad's present it as a beautiful, serene land of tremendous prosperity and good fortune (for all!)...and yet in reality it was a very challenging life in a land where there were many hardships to endure too (not all glory!)...you know?!  
I checked to see if any land grants were issued to Frans Bjork (Frank Bjork)...and could not find any...but there were 24 individuals with the surname Bjork that did obtain land grants.  Interesting, don't you think?

Yes, even if Frans was not the richest of men, if he was listed in the directory of the city where he lived...one's occupation was standardly included...as was whether or not the person resided at an address (boarder)-or was a homeowner.  May I ask you...if he didn't ever return to Sweden (etc.)...how did you know that he was rather poor?  Just wondering....

Actually, the death certificate should include his occupation-and how long he did his trade as well.

Well that's enough of my ramblings for today...I hope to get the certificate in the next day or two...and then I will be back for sure!

Kind regards,
Donna

2000-07-26, 00:46
Svar #12

Utloggad Ulric Björck

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hi Donna! I find it really interesting to expand  
my limited knowledge when it comes to  
Canadian emigrants. It gives interesting  
glimses from times that have passed and  
historical knowledge that help me better  
understand how things have happened....

The reason I think that Frans was rather poor  
is because of his family background. His  
father passed away just before he turned  
seven, and when Frank passed away I don't  
think that my relatives inheritted a lot, but there  
may have been some money left after him.

Kind regards

Ulric

2000-07-26, 10:11
Svar #13

Utloggad Ulla Nordenstam

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 118
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-05-10, 08:12
    • Visa profil
Hi Donna:
My grandfathers brother Erik emigrated to USA and I can't find him.He might have passed Nova Scotia.Will you be so kind and look for his name if you read the lists again?His name was Erik A.Eriksson Liljeström,born 1875 April 24.He lived in Lövstrand,Dorotea ,Västerbotten and did his military duty as a horseman in Östersund,Jämtland.
He was in his military career and moved July 25th 1896 to Östersund and was then leaving for Svea Livgarde Stockholm.He sold his part of property in Dorotea in August 1896.His second surname Liljeström was given in military life as they used to do in Sweden at that time.He is said to be dead in an accident in Florida.Three of his sibblings emigrated later in 1905 and 1906 and my grandfather was the only one left here.That is all I know.
Thanks in forehand.
Kind regards
Ulla Nordenstam

2000-07-26, 15:01
Svar #14

Donna Corlett

Hi Ulla!  I have read your posting and will surely keep an eye out for Erik.  
The lists you mention, are actually microfilm reels (many!) of ship's manifests/passenger lists...arranged by port and usually by date (can often be out of sequence though!)...so it can take hours-especially when the ship name is unknown, the actual date of departure...  
The less information, the longer the search!  I'm sure that makes perfect sense, yes?!

Most manifests that I have seen do have some number of passengers destined to the USA-and these are listed separately within the manifest.  This of course assumes that it was a ship that did not travel directly to the USA...as I'm sure there must have been many of those too.

Your information about Erik is interesting.  I think that you do not know his departure date ...or even the year-as you did not note it-other than to say his siblings emigrated later, correct?  Have you tried to locate this...through church records, military records or other sources?  I wonder...how then, did you learn that he is said to be dead in an accident in Florida?  When?  What is the story as your know it and from whom did you learn this? I ask this as my twin sister lives in the USA (in Florida no less!)...and perhaps I could ask her to help out...

You do note the years 1905,1906 (at least!) for Erik's siblings...but not their given names.  Would you want them found too...if I am looking?

Hope to hear from you soon, Ulla.  We'll see what we can do!

Regards,
Donna

2000-07-26, 15:13
Svar #15

Donna Corlett

Leif Mörkfors: Hi!  I have started looking into the border entry records that I mentioned previously.  When you noted that Hugo lived in Baltimore in 1909...this is Baltimore, Maryland (USA) that you are referring to, correct?  How did you know that...census records, family-or the help you noted before...?  
Anyway, having checked into these archival holdings a little...I believe that if he indeed came here he most likely entered Canada at a border entry point in the Ontario/Quebec region...somewhere!  There are a lot of reels with names that I have never heard of (border entry points/areas)...so I will surely learn something new here!  

Hope to hear from you about the questions above...

Regards,
Donna

2000-07-26, 22:26
Svar #16

Leif Mörkfors

Hi Donna ! He lived in Baltimore in Maryland. I think he was a sailer and Baltimore is a coasttown. I know that he lives here in 1909 because of the inventory after his mother who died that year. Maybe he went on a ship to Canada ?!
Best regards
Leif

2000-07-27, 04:11
Svar #17

Donna Corlett

Hi again Leif!  Perhaps I should try seeing if I can access Maryland directories here first...so you can only be sure that he was there in 1909-but not how long before or after, correct?  
I assume that you mean that Hugo was contacted in the USA upon her passing in Sweden-in relation to her inventory (is this the same as estate?)at the address they had for him in Baltimore, yes?  

Sorry for all the questions but I would like to try to narrow it down (the year he is gone from there)...at this point there are in excess of 25 microfilm reels where he could be and that would take a long time to check!

Please let me know...being rather close to Canada (Ontario/Quebec regions) he may have travelled by land/rail-not necessarily a ship...hmmm it's a puzzler!  Why did the helper think he came to Canada...did this person find him there in the Maryland (Balitmore) directories...and then he was no longer listed?  
I have seen mention somewhere about a database of sailors...have you had him checked there?  I'm trying to find it again....

Please let me know what you can...when you can!!!

Best regards,
Donna

2000-07-27, 12:01
Svar #18

Utloggad Ulla Nordenstam

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hi Donna:
Thank you for your kindness.I am really stuck with Erik.As you noticed I have so little on him though I have tried for a few years with several records.
The only real thing I 've got is a big photo of a young handsome man in uniform.I visited my relatives in USA and from my mothers cousin(89years)I was told that he was dead in an accident in Florida.One of Eriks sisters was Ester Augusta bornFeb.2nd 1879.She left with her brother Johan b.Dec.6th 1876 from Gothenburg for North America  Feb 14th 1906 .I think they made a stop in England.I guess Erik was first to go and then his sister Sigrid F.J. bSept 4th 1881.She went to New York Okt.4th in 1905 and returned to Sweden Jan 1909.She had trained to a nurse during the stay over there.She died a few years later of TB and two month later her youngest brother,my grandfather,also from TB.Otherwise we most certainly would have known more about our relatives.All the survivers were over there.I think Erik Eriksson was such a common name and I don't know if he kept Liljeström.
Hope to hear from you.
Best regards,
Ulla

2000-07-27, 15:08
Svar #19

Utloggad Susanne Åkerfeldt

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 292
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-04-16, 19:08
    • Visa profil
Dear Donna, I've been reading about all the help you've so kindly given other researchers, so I figured I'd also ask for your help, if you can find the time of course! I'm trying to locate my grandmother's aunt and uncle, who emigrated to North America in the beginning of the century. The emigration records state that they were headed for Burlington and I've always believed it to be Burlington, Iowa. However, I have looked thru the census for that town and not found them there. So I'm wondering if they possibly could have been headed for Burlington, Ontario, Canada instead? We have photos of the persons who emigrated, which were taken in a studio in Chicago, USA, which of indicate that they did settle in that huge city eventually. However, there is of course a slim chance that they only had their photos taken in Chicago, as I believe it's not that far from either Burlington, Iowa or Burlington, Canada.  

Census records for Chicago is hard to study over here, as the micro films available at the Emigrant Institute in Växjö does not include the soundex register, which mean it would take forever for me to look thru the Chicago pages (and I'd probably fall half alseep while doing so and therefore missing them!) I've posted queries on every possible query page in Sweden and the US, I believe but no luck.  

So I'm trying - when doing genealogy you know, one has to try all possible and impossible leads! - the possibility of Burlington, Canada instead.  

This is the information available: My  
grandmother's aunt Frida Augusta Lundquist was born in Alunda parish, Uppland province, Sweden on July 1, 1879. She emigrated from Sweden to the USA on July 24, 1903 and according to the information supplied to the
emigration office, she was heading for Burlington. Her brother Erik Adolf Lundquist, born at the same place on October 29, 1882, had emigrated on Dec 26, 1902. He was also headed for Burlington.  

The parents of Frida and Adolf were Erik Olsson Lundquist and Kristina Katarina Norin. They both remained in Sweden along with a couple of
siblings, including my great-grandmother Erika Lundquist.  

Erik Adolf married a Swedish lady from the province of Skåne, while Frida married an American who ran a grocery store, my grandmother has told me. Frida's husband was limping due to the fact that one leg was shorter than the other. Frida had at least two children - a daughter and a son - we have photos.  

Well, my 94-year old Grandma has always wondered what happened to her aunt and uncle  ..... and I'd love to find out! But just doesn't seem to get anywhere!

Kind regards, Susanne Åkerfeldt (Läckeby, Småland, Sweden)

2000-07-27, 19:44
Svar #20

Roland Johansson

Hej Susanne

It seems like Erik returned after some months in the US to fetch his sister. When Frida went in 1903 she was accompanied by Erik Lundquist, US resident. Her destination listed as Burlington, IO, and his destination was Campella, Massachusetts!
There is a Burlington in nearly every US state.
The Emigrant CD says Burlington, IO both for Erik in 1902 and Frida in 1903. But IO is not the official abbreviation for Iowa, (that would be IA). Considering the fact that the O and the L are adjacent keys on a keyboard, it could be a typo for IL, Illinois. And there is a Burlington in Kane county, IL, the neigbouring county to Cook county, where Chicago is situated.

2000-07-27, 22:28
Svar #21

Utloggad Susanne Åkerfeldt

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 292
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-04-16, 19:08
    • Visa profil
Hej Roland! Well, it seems that I missed out on that vital information about Erik L joining his sister in 1903, when I myself looked at the Emigrant CD at the Emigrant Institute in Växjö last summer! Thanks a lot for clarifying and I guess this very much rules out the possibility of the siblings heading for Burlington, Ontario! So now I guess my best chance is to take a look at the census records of Burlington, IL and Campella, Mass.! Quite frankly I very much believe that both brother and sister eventually ended up in the Chicago area, as the bridal photos we have of them both are taken in Chicago studios. So Burlington, IL does seem more likely. However, it will take quite a while before I can get to Växjö to do the reseach in the census records myself - I realize it would be too much to ask for someone with close access to the census records to look into this? Anyway, once again thanks for clarifying and it once again proves what a wonderful tool the Anbytarforum is, in order to make it possible for us to get help from each other and get just that little missing additional information! Best regards, Susanne

2000-07-28, 03:58
Svar #22

Donna Corlett

Hi Susanne...and Roland!  Well, obviouskly I'm a little late! I saw your message-and the others and I see that you have found the direction to take through the efforts of Roland...so you don't need any assistance from me.  Best of luck to you in finding them!  

Kind regards,
Donna

2000-07-28, 09:02
Svar #23

Leif Mörkfors

Hi Donna ! THis is probably a mission impossible but here is some answers.
Yes, I supose that they have had some letters from him in Baltimore and because of that it was written lives in Balitimore in his mothers estate. The helper looked thrugh the whole US not finding him so he just guessed that Canada could be the right place. I should think he went by a ship, he became a sailorboy when he was just 14 or 15 years old. He is not metioned in the sailorbase I know about.  
Donna don´t work to hard with this because we couldn´t know that he ever have been in Canada !!
Best regards from a sunny Sweden
Leif

2000-07-28, 19:54
Svar #24

Donna Corlett

Hi Leif!  Thanks for your response...and I won't go crazy trying-especially since as you say we don't even really know that he came to Canada-BUT I will check a few things...and keep an eye open for Hugo-OK?!

Kind regards,
Donna

2000-07-28, 20:03
Svar #25

Donna Corlett

Hi Ulla!  I checked the 1890 census and found the entry for Erik (and family).  At least now I have his full name-Erik Amandus Eriksson (Liljeström)-right?!
I am looking into a few things...and will be talking to my sister this weekend-so we will see what happens!
Have you ever tried having a check on the CD Emigranten done for Erik?  Also, I am still not clear (sorry)-how do you have so much info (dates of departure and return) for all the other siblings?  Is this from church records?
Please let me know...and I'll be back to you!

Best regards,
Donna

2000-07-28, 21:06
Svar #26

Donna Corlett

Hi Ulric!  I have received the certificate and I believe it is him or your Frank Bjork..but there are a few discrepancies.  Based on what you have told me though...they (facts/details) may have been provided over the years by Frank himself- in error on purpose, you know?!
For instance the form lists Frank Bjork as single.  He resided at 102 Columbia Street, Vancouver, British Columbia.  He date of death was listed as about October 2, 1932...
His ethnic origin was listed as Norse...and birthplace as Norway...?  His date of birth was noted as :about 1865 and age at the time of death:
67 ? (that's what it says!)  
I would think that a check of his things(residence) did not locate any documentation such as a birth certificate or passport etc. or surely those details wouldn't have been listed as they were. It appears that he passed away at home and was discovered shortly after (hence the about in the death date).  
The informant of his death was a K.J. Robinson of 336 Pender Street West...relationship: friend.
He was buried at the Ocean View Cemetary in British Columbia on October 7, 1932.  My friend Eric actually works there on weekends so I will ask him to check for any additional information (paper file) that may be there-OK?!  Perhaps that may shed some more light on it...

The unfortunate part is that this form...is a little different than the ones I have usually seen.  It does not include the length of time in the province, country..and that could help clarify it further...well maybe not if Frank didn't share the true facts with anyone...you know what I mean right?   Like single/married (wife and 10 children!)...born in Norway/Sweden...
What do you think?  If he never returned or stayed in contact and didn't want to be found-then changing it a little makes sense, yes?  
I will send this on with the manifest in any case.

Well I hope to hear back from you soon...what your opinion is!

Kind regards,
Donna

2000-07-29, 18:34
Svar #27

Utloggad Ulla Nordenstam

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hi Donna:
It's him!I can't believe it is true that you've found him!I have searched him by CDEmigranten at Stockholms Cityarchives at two different occations also at the Wararchives.The CD Emigranten at the Cityarchives is for those passengers leaving by the harbour of Gothenburg and Erik was not there.The facts about his sibblings departure are mostly from the churcharhives,but I looked for Sigrid at the CD emigranten and found her departure.Her homecoming was found in the churcharchives.I was not so curious about Johan and Ester augusta as I knew what happened to them and where they settled down.so I spent all my time in Stockholm looking for Erik.
And now you have found him!Guess if I am happy,and curious.
Longing to hear from you.Thank you Dear Donna!You are fantastic!
Ulla

2000-07-29, 23:58
Svar #28

Utloggad Ulric Björck

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hi Donna! Great to hear from you about Frans,  
or Frank!!

Checking out if there is additional papers with  
Eric sounds like a really good idea, because  
even if things point in the direction that it could  
very well be Frans (it makes sense that he  
may have altered stuff in documentation and  
he may have travelled through Norway on his  
way to Canada), I would feel a lot better with  
more certain evidence!

My gf brother Olle managed to get hold of  
Frans i Vancouver (or at least in Canada) in  
the 20ths or 30 ths so he couldn't been  
completely incognito I guess....

Great if Eric could find something (although I  
realize that it may be a long shot). I could also  
try to call some of me fathers cousins and ask  
them if they learnt any more about Frans  
whereabouts or doings in Vancouver. Thank  
you so much Donna for helping me out with  
Frank. Imagine if this really was my ggf, than I  
drove pretty near were he lived just a year ago  
when we visited Vancouver....

Is there a way to follow this Frank Bjork back in  
time before his death?

Best wishes

Ulric

2007-10-16, 20:01
Svar #29

Leif Mörkfors

Hi Donna ! He lived in Baltimore in Maryland. I think he was a sailer and Baltimore is a coasttown. I know that he lives here in 1909 because of the inventory after his mother who died that year. Maybe he went on a ship to Canada ?!
Best regards
Leif

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna