ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Emmigrant CD Lookup Please-Anders Nilsson  (läst 1632 gånger)

2007-03-30, 20:06
läst 1632 gånger

Heather Shepard

Hello!
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to lookup Anders Nilsson on an emmigrant CD?  

He was born 6 Aug 1866 in Elofstorpet, Treskog, Gunnarskog, Varmland, Sweden.  There is one record of him emmigrating June of 1870, but I believe that is a mistake.  

He may also have been using the name Edvard.

According to three United States Federal Census records, he emmigrated in 1878.  Also, in his obituary it reads that he was about the age of ten when he emmigrated with relatives.

Since he was a child when emmigrating, would there also be a mention of whom he travelled with?

Thank you so very much!
Heather Shepard

2007-03-30, 21:00
Svar #1

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
The only listing for this man on Emibas is in 1870. (By the way, consistency of the immigration year in the U.S. Census is not **proof** that year is correct. My farfar always had 1890 listed as his year of emigration from Sweden on censuses, but there are several Swedish records and even some U.S. records stating he left in 1891.)

You've seen this before.

Post 766317

Jonsson, Nils
Gifte dräng (married man)

b. 4/25/1842 in Gräsmark, Värmlands län (Värmland)

Emigrated 6/3/1870
from Treskog, Gunnarskog, Värmlands län (Värmland)
to Nordamerika

0611870058 - Bilaga/ytterligare information finns. Kontakta Emigrantregistret i Karlstad

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 700

Emibas migration file ID: Gunnarskog S 1870 058

Post 766318

Andersdotter Jonsson, Inga Kajsa
Hustru (married woman)

b. 5/24/1839 in Gunnarskog, Värmlands län (Värmland)

Emigrated 6/3/1870
to Nordamerika

0611870059 - Bilaga/ytterligare information finns. Kontakta Emigrantregistret i Karlstad

Emibas migration file ID: Gunnarskog S 1870 059

Post 766319

Nilsdotter, Ida
Barn (unmarried woman)

b. 3/3/1864 in Gunnarskog, Värmlands län (Värmland)

Emigrated 6/3/1870
to Nordamerika

0611870060 - Bilaga/ytterligare information finns. Kontakta Emigrantregistret i Karlstad

Emibas migration file ID: Gunnarskog S 1870 060

Post 766320

Nilsson, Anders
Barn (unmarried man)

b. 8/6/1866 in Gunnarskog, Värmlands län (Värmland)

Emigrated 6/3/1870
to Nordamerika

0611870061 - Bilaga/ytterligare information finns. Kontakta Emigrantregistret i Karlstad

Emibas migration file ID: Gunnarskog S 1870 061

Post 766321

Nilsson, Nils Johan
Barn (unmarried man)

b. 2/22/1869 in Gunnarskog, Värmlands län (Värmland)

Emigrated 6/3/1870
to Nordamerika

0611870062 - Bilaga/ytterligare information finns. Kontakta Emigrantregistret i Karlstad

Emibas migration file ID: Gunnarskog S 1870 062

Have you checked yet with the Emigrantregistret in Karlstad? You've received contact information.

I don't see him on Emihamn (part of the Emigrant CD). Many from Värmland left through a port in Norway.

Of course, a child would usually only be listed by given name and not by last name and so it would be an overwhelming job to check every little boy Nils emigrating in 1878 from all of Sweden, since you can't be sure he stayed in Gunnarskog and left from there. (You seem to be rejecting the person with his birthdate found on Emibas.)

I keep mentioning the Swenson Center. To be sure you have the right person, you need to check out their wonderful records. Yes, it is a bit of trouble because they aren't online but those records are excellent proof if your relative is listed in them.

Judy

2007-03-30, 21:36
Svar #2

Heather Shepard

Judy,
Thanks again for your help.  I really appreciate it!

I printed off what you sent before.  I am very thankful.  

I have found many errors in our census records as well.  I only use them as a place to start.

I know also that the family stories may be wrong.
So maybe Anders obituary was in error as well.  

This family has been puzzling me so much, since there are so many contradictions.  

It does not look like Inga was a widow or that Anders was left behind according to the Emibas CD and the 1866-1870 household records.  

So far I have not been able to find an immigration record of them as a family over here.  

In 1874 Inga entered a poor house in Goodhue County Minnesota with Ida and Nils.  

I have not been able to find any record of her son, Anders, until the year 1880 so far.  I sometimes get a little discouraged.

I am very thankful for the Swedish records, and all the kind help from everyone on this web site.  I have learned so much.

I e-mailed Olle this morning who had offered to research in Karlstad for me.  I asked for help with two other questions that I had.  

I wish very much that I can visit that center someday.

I'm not really sure what to do any more about the contradictions.  Any advice?

Thanks again for your kindness.  I do really appreciate it!
Heather

2007-03-30, 22:04
Svar #3

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
The Swenson Center does research in its records, for a fee. They are very busy so expect to wait a few months after you ask them to research.

I've also used local historical and genealogical societies. I have found some really helpful information in those places.

I have suggested my favorite things to do. Remember that there may be further clues in the state censuses for Minnesota.(not the same as federal censuses taken in years ending in 0. State census years usually end in 5.) Perhaps you could start, then, with the year 1875 and try to find them in that state census.

When I get stuck, I ask others in my genealogical society and sometimes that helps. It is really important to join and participate in genealogical societies. I am an officer and board member in one but I am also a member of several others (including some in other locations where ancestors lived). We can learn new techniques from monthly speakers, various workshops, conferences (such as the one for the National Genealogical Society; state and local conferences, etc.)

I have been frustrated by the lack of help from family members. I spent a couple of years trying to figure out where my farmor (father's mother) was born in Sweden, which was Hedvig Eleonora parish in Stockholms stad. (I had a street address, without a town, in her dictionary.) I found out, finally, and told a cousin who then pulled out an obituary which named Stockholm as her place of birth. Previously, cousins said they had nothing telling us where she was born. Push, pester, and beg cousins and other relatives to go through their attics, basements, drawers, etc. in search of any clue, large or small. (I have many examples of the same thing with other relatives.)

There are lots of ideas of ways to find clues to the origins of our Swedish ancestors in a little booklet which you can order for free or download for free. I think I've told you about it but just in case, here is the link.

http://www.swedenabroad.com/Page____15063.aspx

There are many useful guidebooks to genealogy (not Swedish genealogy) which have given me ideas of places to search for clues, and without those ideas, I wouldn't be as far along in my genealogy as I am now. Even if you are not a beginner, it pays off to look at those books, and there are plenty of more advanced books which are helpful. Sources I'm exploring right now in U.S. records are land records and probate records. I have had excellent luck finding clues to parents or clues to where the person came from in Sweden using marriage APPLICATIONS. (Some are microfilmed.) I had a relative (my mom's cousin) who attended college and graduated in 1915. I wrote to the college asking if they knew who her parents were, what her last name was before marriage (I had her married name), etc. and they first told me that they had little on alumni of that era. Then they replied with the names of her parents, her maiden name, her complete birthdate, her major in college, her high school, etc. They even had an extra yearbook for her graduation year and sent that to me for free. I had been told by a friend that this wouldn't help but obviously she was wrong. It was a gamble which paid off.  

Be creative and try the less well known sources. Check into lodge records. I had no idea where my Danish grandfather (morfar) was born. I found in his obituary that he was a member of Danish Brotherhood in America. Those records showed exactly where he was born in Denmark, plus I learned much more about him from the same records.  

Good luck!

Judy

2007-03-30, 22:29
Svar #4

Heather Shepard

Judy!
Thank you so very much once again!  

I printed off your message with so many wonderful suggestions.  I have learned a great deal more.  

I especially did not know that you could find information like that from colleges and lodges either.  That's amazing!  

I am sure you must have many exciting stories on your adventures researching!  

I have worked on family history for a little while, but I stayed with the resources that I was comfortable with.  I didn't know that there were so many more places to look.

I will check out that Sweden Abroad link as well.  I learned a lot from the ones you sent yesterday.  They are so wonderful.

I recently did obtain the 1875 Minnesota census record.  Inga, Ida, and Nils are listed among the Poor Farm records.  No listing for Anders.

There are also two men that would fit the name and age of her father as well, but so far I have no way of varifying for sure if it is him.  My family never said that her father came to America too.  I only just recently learned that from a Swedish household record.  Inga became a cook there until she married again.  

My great great grandmother, Christine, was born at the poor farm in 1876.

Thanks again for all your help.  I really appreciate it.  Good luck to you too!  I have learned a great deal!
Thanks,
Heather

2007-03-30, 23:28
Svar #5

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
This is a link to the website for the Swedish Genealogical Society of Minnesota.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~mnsgsm/

I suggest that you join, even if you don't live there.

Also note an upcoming event. Some Swedish experts will be available. It sounds tempting to me. :-)

http://www.rootsweb.com/~mnsgsm/7502SGRT07RegPoster.htm

Judy

2007-03-30, 23:37
Svar #6

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
This is the link for the application for the second stop on that tour mentioned in my last message.

http://www.ichs.ws/docs/Swedgen%20Reg_%20Poster%20Color.pdf

The Swedish genealogists on that tour are very famous. They've made this tour before but this tour hasn't come to the Midwest before.

I hope you can make it to one of those meetings. I am really tempted but it would be a bit of a trip for me. I'll have to check my schedule.

Judy

2007-03-31, 00:22
Svar #7

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Have you done any research in this library?

http://www.goodhuehistory.mus.mn.us/research.html

Here is some detailed information about their holdings. They probably have more.

http://www.goodhuehistory.mus.mn.us/holdings.html#holdings.html

Here are some resources they suggest.

http://www.goodhuehistory.mus.mn.us/others.html

http://www.goodhuehistory.mus.mn.us/churches.html

This is the home page.

http://www.goodhuehistory.mus.mn.us/

You can purchase books and other items.

http://www.goodhuehistory.mus.mn.us/store.html

This page may give you some ideas of places to check.

http://home.att.net/~Local_History/Goodhue-Co-MN.htm

Here is a 1895 map of Goodhue County.

http://www.livgenmi.com/1895/MN/County/goodhue.htm

Check nearby counties for the missing family member.

Judy

2007-03-31, 00:30
Svar #8

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Some people do lookups in Goodhue County. Note the rules. Also look under Minnesota on this page.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~mngenweb/lookups.htm#Goodhue

Judy

2007-03-31, 07:07
Svar #9

Heather Shepard

Judy!
I would love to attend the Swedish Genealogy Road Tour 2007 if I could, but I live in Montana right now and wont be able to make it this year for sure.  

That is so nice that they help so many people with their research!I will definitely check out that web site some more, and I think I will join too!

I have briefly browsed through the Goodhue County site before, but now I am reminded of some things I'm really interested in researching!

Thank you again for all your wonderful suggestions!
Heather

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna