ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Emigration CD lookup please - Johan Gustaf Johansson - 1896  (läst 552 gånger)

2006-08-16, 05:48
läst 552 gånger

David

I'm looking for an emigration date for my great grandfather since I can't find him arriving to America on a passenger list nor in the 1900 U.S. Census.

The 1930 U.S. Census states he arrived to America in 1896. He first settled in Chicago.

He was born 10 Jun 1876 in Borbäck, Hjo, Skaraborg. His last known residence was Lörpareskogen, Korsberga (1890) where he was still at home with his family. He is actually buried in Korsbergas kyrkogård since he returned to Sweden before he died 10 Oct 1954.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

David

2006-08-16, 07:55
Svar #1

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
David: He was called Andersson in Sweden:

Emibas CD record:

Post 616283

Andersson, Johan Gustav
Ägarson (unmarried man)

b. 6/10/1876 in Hjo, Skaraborgs län (Västergötland)

Emigrated 5/16/1896
from Löpareskogen, Korsberga, Skaraborgs län (Västergötland)
to Amerika

Source: SVAR; Household Examination Roll, vol. Korsberga AI:9, p. 93

Emibas migration file ID: Korsberga R 1896 001

He leaves Gothenburg as Johansson:

Efternamn:   JOHANSSON
Förnamn:     JOH GUST
Ålder:       19            Kön: M
Född: 1876/1877
Församling:  KORSBERGA    Län: R
Titel/Anm:    
Utresehamn:  GÖTEBORG
Utvandrdag:  1896 05 22
Destination: SO CHICAGO
Medåkande:   NEJ
Källkod:     57:603:69113

2006-08-17, 03:41
Svar #2

David

Thank you Chris for the info! Johan's father was Anders Gustaf Johansson and that explains the Andersson name. I have questions now because we've always been under the impression that this family wasn't using the patronymic system of naming when the children were born, but I guess at least the parish clerks were. It's confusing. His brothers were also known as Johansson in later years. Johan decided to use John Gustafson in America which made it even more difficult to know what name he arrived under... until now.

I will look for earlier discussions re: names under the appropriate heading so I can get a grasp on the history of it.

Thanks again!

2006-08-17, 06:24
Svar #3

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
David

They may have used the patronymics but many who emigrated had learnt that in America you used your father?s name as a surname so they changed on their journey, just like your ancestor. We can see many with double patronymics in the Emigrant register, their own and the father?s. Since the patronymics were not strictly speaking names, and not considered as such until the name law of 1901 (some changed a bit earlier), there was probably a bit of confusion. Children often did not have any surname until they left home. In some country parishes, the priests insisted on using patronymics even for those children who had a father with a surname, such as solders. They considerd it presumptious for a peasant to use surnames.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna