ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Charles Alfred Nilsson/Chinander - Johanna Pauson  (läst 1234 gånger)

1999-05-30, 01:29
läst 1234 gånger

Lois Johnson

Charles Alfred Chinander and Johanna Pauson are my immigrant g-grandparents.  They came to St. Croix Falls, WI from either Nykil or Gammalkil parish, near Linkoping in Ostergotland.  

All I know about Johanna Pauson is her name and a birthdate of 14 March between 1846-1854.  I'd love a clue to tracing her parentage.  Would the first name of her father have been Paul?

Date of emigration is unknown, but based on their childrens' birthdates, had to be between 1878 and 1881.  

I'm curious why they took the surname Chinander?? Swedish spelling might be Kinander or Kinnander?  Also, did they change the name before emigration or when they came to the U.S.?  Is this a family name or perhaps a farm name in the Gammalkil or Nykil area?

In this same family tree, some ancestors have a last name of Vikingstad.  Would this have been a place name or farm name?  

I'm full of questions, and any answers or clues will be very much appreciated!

1999-05-30, 12:54
Svar #1

Utloggad Henrik Mosén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1228
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-10-22, 19:16
    • Visa profil
    • www.vifolka.se
Hi,  

I don't know who this Johanna Pauson might be, but she should be possible to find. Did you by any chance have a birthdate for Charles Alfred Chinander?

The name Kinander (which it might very well be based on) is not very common, but you might see it, and particularly in the area of Nykil and Gammalkil (parishes in Kinda härad, therof the prefix Kin-).

The last name Vikingstad is really strange sounding, at least in Swedish. I have never seen it used as a surname, but there is a parish, in the above mentioned Kinda härad, called Vikingstad, so that's where these persons got their name I suppose.

Hopefully someone with access to the church records of Nykil and Gammalkil might help you find these persons.

It would be interesting though, to know some more of these Vikingstad people...
Henrik Mosén

1999-05-30, 13:04
Svar #2

Utloggad Henrik Mosén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1228
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-10-22, 19:16
    • Visa profil
    • www.vifolka.se
I am sorry to say that I managed to get it quite wrong in my reply above.

The parishes of Gammalkil, Nykil and Vikingstad are all situated in Valkebo härad. But the name Kinander is probably based on Kinda härad, which lies very close to all the above mentioned parishes. There are usually family ties between them.

I ought to blame this little blunder on something, so I blame the fact that I've got an exam the day after tomorrow, and should be studying.

When I'm at it I might add that Pauson might be based on Paulsson, Pålsson, but it could be some other name too... for example Persson.
Henrik Mosén

1999-06-02, 04:28
Svar #3

Lois Johnson

Many thanks, Henrik, for your information and insights.  The birthdate of Charles Alfred Chinander was 21 Sep/Oct 1849.  I'll keep hoping that somebody from Nykil or Gammalkil parish may see these posts and be able to check records for my Chinander ancestors.    

I know g-grandma Johanna's last name SOUNDED more like Pauson/Paulson rather than Persson; but I'm not sure what parish she was originally from.  Still, she and Charles I believe were from the Nykil parish when they left Sweden, about 1880.

None of my relatives of today have the Vikingstad name, to my knowledge.  I did know of someone by that last name where I used to work tho...his family probably comes from that same region.  Maybe he's a relative and I just don't know it yet!  It wouldn't be the first time that's happened for me!  ;-)

1999-06-04, 08:26
Svar #4

Utloggad Anna-Lena Hultman

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 409
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-04-07, 12:17
    • Visa profil
Hi Lois,
I think I found them!

The cotter (statardräng)  
Carl Alfred Nilsson born Oct. 21, 1849 in Nykil parish, Östergötland
w.Johanna Persdotter born March 14, 1845 in Östra Tollstad parish, Östergötland
d.Mathilda Christina born July 25, 1878 in Vikingstad parish, Östergötland.
This family got their moving letter for America on April 20, 1880. At that time they lived at the farm Uljeberg in Viby parish, Östergötland.
(Source: Viby household record 1880, page 173)

2006-04-26, 05:42
Svar #5

Nathan Chinander

My last name is chinander. I live in Minneapolis Minnesota. There are several other chinanders. I was inquring about Ada E.? Englund? She married my grandfather, Sherman, Chinander. My father who is now deceased once told me that Chinander was a park in Norway. Once when my father was attending the festival of nations in Brooklyn Park Minnesota, he was told by a guy that said.. he had Sami roots. The sami are indiginous people from scandinavia.  
I hope that maybe some of this information will help both of us, to find the ancestory of our families.

2006-04-26, 20:19
Svar #6

Utloggad Elisabet Arvidsson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-04-10, 00:47
    • Visa profil
Hi Nathan!
I ask the phonebook about Chinander..no one with right spelling but 431 answer call Kinander, Kinnander, Sinander came up.
They living everywere in Sweden so you need to found out more about you grandfather and his birthplace for getting the right answer.
Since elisabet

2006-04-26, 20:28
Svar #7

Utloggad Elisabet Arvidsson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-04-10, 00:47
    • Visa profil
Nathan!
Sami-roots? Must be SAME-roots.
They live in north Scandianvia--it's means North Norway to North Russia, (inklude North Sweden and north Finland).
So you got at list three to four country to look in.
Good luck/ Elisabet

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna