ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Johannes Sanfried Stenstrum  (läst 1112 gånger)

2004-04-12, 01:30
läst 1112 gånger

Phil Stenstrum

Hello,

I am seeking any information for Johannes Sanfried Stenstrum.  He was born Feb 2, 1832 in Grolanda, Skaraborg.  I believe he emmigrated to the USA about 1862.  He was to have left Sweden with his sweetheart, Anna Christina Johanson.  Johannes married Anna in 1863 in Rockford, Winnebago Illinois.  He died Jan 14, 1875 in Minnesota.  He is buried in Dunnell, Minnesota at Lake Fremont Cemetary.

I am seeking information about his life, siblings, parents, grandparents, etc., anything that will let me knwo more about my great-great grandfather.
Thank you.

Phil Stenstrum

2004-04-12, 13:29
Svar #1

Utloggad Ann Little

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-23, 20:10
    • Visa profil
Hi Phil,

Although I can't help you with any information about your great-great grandfather Johannes Stenstrum, I feel I ought to mention that he would most certainly have been called  Stenström in Sweden, which literally means stone stream. He must have changed the ending to 'strum' (which is very close to the Swedish pronunciation of 'ström'), to make it easier for English speaking people to pronounce.
Also, are you quite sure his name was Sanfried? I ask because I personally think it should be Sanfred.  

Kind regards,
Ann Little

2004-04-12, 17:03
Svar #2

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Hi Phil,

This site provides a number of useful ideas for finding the parish where this person came from in Sweden. The records were kept in the parish. I have had great luck with local historical and genealogical societies and with the Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center, but those sources aren't online.

http://www.horlacher.org/genarticles/scandem.htm

Judy

2004-04-12, 17:10
Svar #3

Phil Stenstrum

Hi Ann,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I too have thought the surname would have been Stenström instead of Stenstrum.  I can recall my mother mentioning stone stream.  I have searching records using both.

Regarding his middle name, Sanfried, I'm not 100% sure that is correct.  My grandfather's middle name was Sanford as is mine.  It may be more likely that his name was Sanford as well or Sanfred as you indicate.

Again, thanks for the information.  Every little bit helps.

Best regards,
Phil Stenstrum

2004-04-12, 17:37
Svar #4

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi Phil,

I don't think Sanford was a Swedish name back then. I don't find it listed in various name databases.

http://www.sweggate.com

Follow this pathway.

Names --> Naming Practices --> Namnarkivet
Names --> Naming Practices --> SHM (Historiska)
Names --> Naming Practices --> Espell, Björn

The only two hits for Sanford on the Emihamn database of CD Emigranten (the Emigrant CD) were for people who had already been to the U.S.

I checked Arkion and no one had the Sanford name in any of the years they have.

http://www.arkion.se

Judy

2004-04-12, 17:40
Svar #5

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi again, Phil,

The pathways are incorrect. I left out something. Let's try again.

Facts --> Names and Naming Practices --> Namnarkivet  
Facts --> Names and Naming Practices --> SHM (Historiska)  
Facts --> Names and Naming Practices --> Espell, Björn  

Judy

2004-04-12, 18:02
Svar #6

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
He was probably named Johan Sanfrid for his first name, as there are 3 boys by that name, emigrating from Grolanda. But they are all three of them born in the 1860s-1870s, so not the one looked for now.

2004-04-12, 20:31
Svar #7

Utloggad Ted Rosvall

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1256
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-09, 07:49
    • Visa profil
I have been able to identify your ancestors as:

Johannes Larsson Stenström
b 1830 Jan.2. Hällestad parish (near Grolanda)

and

Anna Stina Johansdotter
b 1842 Feb.1. Floby parish

They both emigrated in 1863 from Floby to Rockford, Illinois.

The Falbygdens Släktforskarförening (Genealogical Society for this area) has for year been tracing the emigrants from this area, and we would be happy to exchange information with you. We would be glad to send you information about the parents and siblings of Johannes and Anna Stina, and in return we would like to know what happened to them in the US, especially when and where they died.

Ted Rosvall

2004-04-13, 01:20
Svar #8

Phil Stenstrum

Judy,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  I have copied down all of your references.  I'm quite sure they will assist me in the search as I'm just begining my search and there is a lot to learn.  It is quite enjoyable though.  Again, many thanks.

Best regards,
Phil Stenstrum

2004-04-13, 01:24
Svar #9

Phil Stenstrum

Elizabeth,

Thank you for your time.  I sincerely appreciate what you have done.  If I'm not able to get the right person on the first try, I can still rule out others.  Either way, I can still achieve my goal of finding more about my ancestors. Many thanks.

Best regards,
Phil Stenstrum

2004-04-13, 01:46
Svar #10

Phil Stenstrum

Ted,

Bless you.  Finally, a connection to my family history!  I have the names of all of Anna and Johannes' children and the generations going forward to the present day.  I have most birth and death dates, where they lived and dies; spouses and children.  I would be more than happy to share all the information I have regarding the Stenström/Stenstrum family line with you and the Falbygdens Släktforskarförening.

As I said, I would be interested in their siblings, parents, grandparents and further back in the line.  I would also be interested in their occupations, the ship they left Sweden on, etc., anything that would provide me with a glimpse into their world and time.

Again, my sincere thanks for the information you have provided.  I genuinely appreciate it.

Best regards,
Phil Stenstrum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna