ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2003-12-09  (läst 1692 gånger)

2003-09-19, 10:46
läst 1692 gånger

Roland Johansson

Sorry, but those two seem to fit too poorly with the data you have. Here is the census page for them: link

They were born in Råneå, but lived in Nederluleå in 1890.  
Karl Fredrik was born 1875, and his sister Hilda Maria in 1877. Their parents' names were Nils Petter Blomqvist and Maja Brita Henriksdotter.

2003-09-19, 20:06
Svar #1

Steve Bloomquist

Roland,

Thank you for responding.  You have stopped me from doing a lot of fruitless research, and I am thankful for that!

I started looking at these two emigrants because I found a marriage record in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania for a Hulda Bloomquist, who was married there in 1906.  

She listed her current address as Worcester, Mass and I thought it was odd that someone living in Massachusetts would be getting married in Pennsylvania.  The marriage license also indicated that she was born in Sweden.

Because my farfars far lived in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania and did have a sister named Hilda, I thought that this marriage record might be referring to his sister.  I traced this Hulda and her husband through US Census records and her data consistently indicated that she came to the USA in 1896.  Thus, I returned to CD-Emigranten and found this Karl and Hilda who emigrated that same year, and were going to Worcester, Mass.

2003-09-19, 21:57
Svar #2

Roland Johansson

Hi Steve.

Some (rather farfetched) ideas:  

The index for the census 1890 shows that there in Örebro län lived a man named Lars Ersson Blomqvist, born 1829. Alas, I don't have access to the actual census page, so I can't tell anything about in which parish, or what his family looked like. Hopefully someone with access will read this and do a lookup.

On the emigration CD and in Örebro emigration index there is a person who looks somewhat promising:
Karl Alfred Eriksson, who was born February 16 1870 in Hjulsjö parish. He emigrated April 13 1888 with a ticket for New York. (35:26:5043 on the CD).

Normally, a man whose father's name was Lars would have had the lastname Larsson, but this practice wasn't always followed.

2003-09-20, 10:32
Svar #3

Utloggad Gunvor Jensen

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 470
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-02-23, 16:50
    • Visa profil
Here he is in 1890
Perhaps someone can translate it to you, my english isn?t good enough.
Regards Gunvor

ANNO 1890 - Örebros län

Gällersta församling    
Lars Ersson Blomqvist f. 1829 Gällersta  
Om personen Om hushållet  
Hemförsamling: Gällersta
Hemort: Ökna
Kontrakt: Askers
Län: Örebro

Födelseår: 1829
Födelseort:  
Födelseförs: Gällersta
Yrke: f. Husar

Civilstånd: Änka/änkling (E)
Kön: Man
Familjest:  
Famstkod: Ensamstående (E)

Hushåll nr: 327
Familj nr: 1
SVARvolym: 000334  Kort nr: 11
Sida: 25  Rad: 21
 Personer i hushållet:
Fam nr: 1
Lars Ersson Blomqvist f. 1829, f. Husar

2003-09-20, 14:54
Svar #4

Utloggad Per Linder

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 422
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-07-31, 00:01
    • Visa profil
Hi Steve, I have checked the (Stockholm) Söder CD and there is no Karl Alfred born in 1870 there. This means that his family lived in another part of Stockholm (if they lived in Stockholm). Perhaps someone could check the Gamla Stan and Klara in order to confirm or exclude Stockholm ?

Best

Per

2003-09-23, 06:42
Svar #5

Steve Bloomquist

Roland, Gunvor, and Per:

Many thanks to each of you for your efforts.  I am very excited to have some discussion here concerning my farfars far.  I am so eager to trace him back to his family in Sweden!  I had a tombstone made for his grave this year (71 years after his death) but I had to omit the date of his birth.  I am determined to find a record of his birth to complete the inscription.

The Lars Ersson Blomqvist that Roland mentioned does remind me of my farfars far's death record, where it names his father as Erickson Bloomquist.  Until now, I had been assuming that such a name was an obvious mistake, but now I am reconsidering that information.  Furthermore, the 1930 US Census indicates that my farfars far came to the USA in 1888.  (Which contradicts other Census years information for him, and also his naturalization papers.)

Gunvor, I am happy to receive any information in Swedish or English.  I only wish that my Swedish were as good as your English!  (It is actually non-existant, but I have some good books for reference.)  

Per, I had someone check Gamla Stan a while back, but the info that I provided for the lookup may not have been as refined as it is now.  Hopefully someone with access can take a look and make a determination.  

It is important that I remind myself that I have never found a document that indicated that my farfars far was from Stockholm except for one.. the marriage license of his daughter, which is second-hand information at best.

I will keep searching for church record in the USA which seem to be my last hope for finding a document in the USA with a mention of his birthplace.

I have another avenue to consider as well:  my farfars far used the surname Bloom almost as often as Bloomquist during his life in the USA.  I found a Carl A. Blom on CD-Emigranten, from Närum parish, län L, who emigrated in 1894.  The age (20) doesn't match well, though.

Thanks again for all the assistance!

2003-09-23, 07:20
Svar #6

Steve Bloomquist

Per,

I just wanted to mention that I have conflicting data for the birth year of my farfars far.  Some sources indicate 1870 while others indicate 1871.  Would you mind checking your CD for that year as well?

Thank you!

2003-09-23, 08:00
Svar #7

Utloggad Lena Thelin

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 5118
  • Senast inloggad: 2020-09-16, 22:02
    • Visa profil
    • www.arleco.nu/minslakt/sv
Hello Steve,

There was one Karl Alfred Blomqvist born 1871 at the CD for the south parth of Stockholm. That couldn't been your because he was still living there year 1925

Lena

2003-09-24, 19:28
Svar #8

Steve Bloomquist

Lena,

Thanks for checking that CD.  You are correct, my Karl Alfred Blomqvist was definitely living in the USA by July of 1897, and probably earlier than that.

2003-09-24, 19:48
Svar #9

Utloggad Per Linder

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 422
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-07-31, 00:01
    • Visa profil
Steve, do you have any information on any sibblings of your great grandfather ? That could be an alternative route to find your ancestors.

2003-09-24, 21:19
Svar #10

Steve Bloomquist

Per,

I have only one little piece of information for siblings of my farfars far...

I have a picture which says Aunt Hilda, Pittsburgh 1939 on the back.  My relatives who provided this photo believe that she was the sister of my farfars far.

I don't know if she was his only sibling or if there were more.  She must have travelled to the USA (perhaps she emigrated, too?), if the writing on the photo is correct.  (i.e. she was in Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania) in 1939.. perhaps visiting).

Anyway, she is wearing a dress with a shawl over the shoulders.  I don't know if the type of shawl is Swedish.  It does not look much like the 'traditional' Swedish costumes that I have seen online.  I am thinking that someone with expertise in this area might learn something about her origin from the shawl she was wearing?

2003-09-24, 22:48
Svar #11

Utloggad Gunvor Jensen

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
I found this family in Folkräkningen 1890. The family lives 1890 in Wånga, Kristianstad län, your L, mentioned above, but the father is born in Näsum also in L län as you can see. There is a daughter Hilda.
Regards Gunvor

ANNO 1890 - Kristianstads län
Wånga församling    
Per Blom f. 1846 Näsum Krstd. l.  
Om personen Om hushållet  
Hemförsamling: Wånga
Hemort: Bonslätt
Kontrakt: Willands
Län: Kristianstad

Födelseår: 1846
Födelseort:  
Födelseförs: Näsum Krstd. l.
Yrke: Torp. f.d. Korpral
Titel:  

Civilstånd: Gift (G)
Familjest:  
Famstkod: Far/man (F)

Hushåll nr: 313
SVARvolym: 000196  Kort nr: 4
Sida: 21  Rad: 11
 Personer i hushållet:
Per Blom f. 1846, Torp. f.d. Korpral
Sissa Hansdotter f. 1842
Nils f. 1874
Annette f. 1875
Hilda f. 1878
Per f. 1881
Odina f. 1883

2003-09-25, 05:30
Svar #12

Steve Bloomquist

Gunvor,

Thank you again for the additional 1890 Census lookup.  Your English is quite good!  Surprisingly, I have been exposed to enough Swedish (from Cradled in Sweden and other books) that I can actually understand many of the key pieces of information without translation!

I cannot wait until the English instructions are completed for the Emigrantforum.  I would like to upload the picture of 'Aunt Hilda' and see if anyone recognizes her or the style of clothing she is wearing.

2003-09-29, 21:18
Svar #13

Steve Bloomquist

Can someone with full access to the 1890 Swedish census look up the following person?

(From CD-Emigranten, Emihamn, 50:491:54209)

K. F. Blomqvist
Torsång församling, Kopparberg län
Emigrated 1893 04 18 at age 21
Destination: Milaca Minn (probably Mille Lacs)

A listing of members of his household in 1890 would be greatly appreciated.  This will allow me to rule him out if he is not the correct person.

With great thanks,
Steve

2003-09-29, 22:40
Svar #14

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Hi Steve,

Maybe he is Knut Fredrik in this family.

Homeparish: Torsångs
Residence: Tylla
County: Kopprarberg
SVARvolume: 000357  Card nr: 6
Page: 2  Row: 38

Persons in the household
Carl Johan Blomqvist f. 1844 in Råda Verml. l., Flottn.förman
wife Emma Kristina Kandell f. 1843 in St.Tuna Falu l.
s. Knut Fredrik f. 1872 in Torsång
d. Hilda Elisabeth f. 1873 in Torsång
s. Karl Oskar f. 1875 in Torsång
s. Gustaf Walfrid f. 1876 in Torsång
s. Johan Fridolf f. 1879 in Torsång
s. Hjalmar Alexander f. 1881 in Torsång

Judy

2003-09-30, 05:36
Svar #15

Steve Bloomquist

Judy,

Thanks for the lookup!  

Again with this family, a lot of the data matches my limited knowledge of my ancestors, and then there are also discrepancies.

I may have to research every male emigrant from Sweden before I locate my ancestor!  It sure would be nice if some long lost distant cousin in Sweden was searching for the fate of this same man!

2003-10-05, 07:36
Svar #16

Steve Bloomquist

Can someone please locate the following emigrant (and family) on the 1890 census of Sweden and post the results here?

Emigrant:  Blomqvist, Charles
Parish: Fliseryd
Län: H
Emigrated 1896 04 10, destination New York
källkod: 57:357:67849 Emihamn

There is corresponding entry in Emihamn database for a Cha:s E Carlsson with the same data except age 23.

I wonder if this is two entries for the same person?  Anyway, the data fits reasonably well for my farfars far, so I would appreciate a census lookup to confirm or deny that possibility.

Thanks!

2003-10-05, 17:46
Svar #17

Utloggad Mats Waltersson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 165
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-02-08, 18:41
    • Visa profil

2003-10-05, 22:01
Svar #18

Utloggad Gunvor Jensen

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Here are some Carl Emil born in Fliseryd 1871-1873. I hope you can understand it, the familys didn?t come in the right places when I copyed it.
Regards Gunvor

ANNO 1890 - Kalmars län

2003-10-06, 04:22
Svar #19

Steve Bloomquist

Mats and Gunvor,

Thanks to both of you for the lookups in Fliseryd.  From the data provided, I am going to continue looking in other places for my ancestor's family.  The information is very useful however.. I am keeping good notes from all of these inquiries, and it is helping me to narrow down the possibilites.

I am also working very hard to find more data in the USA for my farfars far, so that I don't have to keep asking for so many favors!  ;)

Thanks so much for your help!

2003-10-10, 06:04
Svar #20

Steve Bloomquist

I was very pleased to receive a letter from Salem parish in Rönninge today (I wrote to them after a posting in this thread from Lena.. tack, Lena!)

Carl Alfred Bloomquist

Moved from Södertälje to Ersboda in Salem 1890 11 18.

Moved from Salem to Klara in Stockholm 1891 11 06.

I am very interested in tracking down this person, in Södertälje to learn of his birth and parents (he was born in 1871), and in Klara to see if he emigrated to the USA between 1891 and 1897.

Can anyone in this forum help with either cause?  I am very excited about this!

2003-10-10, 06:44
Svar #21

Utloggad Lena Thelin

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 5118
  • Senast inloggad: 2020-09-16, 22:02
    • Visa profil
    • www.arleco.nu/minslakt/sv
Hello again Steve,

Sorry, but he didn't came to Klara parish. He isn't on the CD for that part of Stockholm during the year 1878 to 1926.

And I can't find any match for a Blomqvist leaving from Stockholm at the Emigrant CD.

2003-10-10, 07:12
Svar #22

Steve Bloomquist

Lena,

Now I wonder.. if the records at Salem indicate that he moved to Klara, and he isn't there.. is there any way to learn where he went from Salem?
Maybe he went to America instead?

I also wonder if he might have lied about his age when he left Sweden, and that is why I have not found any excellent matches on CD-Emigranten.  

(By the way, I purchased CD-Emigranten several months ago, so I look for him among those records almost every day!)

Hopefully, someone can find him in Södertälje prior to 1890 11 18.  If there is a birth record for him there, I might be able to rule him out or positively identify him!

Thanks for everyone for all the help.  I remain hopeful that we may find him together!

2003-10-10, 18:18
Svar #23

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi Steve,

I looked again on the 1890 Swedish Census for Stockholm stad on the fee-based Arkion site, and this might be your Karl Alfred Blomqvist.(There is a huge list of military men, which I haven't included.)

Homeparish: Hedvig Eleonora
Residence: Garnisonen
County: Stockholm
SVARvolume: 000064  Card nr: 31
Page: 152  Row: 20

Fam nr: 498
Karl Alfred Anderson Blomqvist f. 1871, Gardist

Good luck!

Judy

2003-10-10, 18:23
Svar #24

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi again, Steve,

The above Karl Alfred Anderson Blomqvist was just listed as being born in Stockholm.

You can do a very limited search in the 1890 Arkion census by using this link and then selecting Sök i 1890. Perhaps you can find some more possibilities and others might check to find the details.

http://www.arkion.se

Good luck!

Judy

2003-10-10, 18:48
Svar #25

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi Steve,

If that military man emigrated using his patronymic name instead of Blomqvist, maybe he is this person found on CD Emigranten. (I know this is a long-shot, but he still could have used Blomqvist later on. I have some soldiers who did that.)The age is a bit off, though.

First name: CARL AUG
Last name: ANDERSON
Parish:      County: A
Port: GÖTEBORG
Date: 1892 08 12
Destination: NEW YORK
Fellows: NEJ
Source: 49:59:1207

Have you tried to find him in the church records for a Swedish-American church? Those records are very detailed, including birthdate and birth parish in Sweden) if they were church members. I have solved many mysteries such as yours (with much less trouble) by checking those microfilmed records at the Swenson Center. (The records aren't online, but they have extensive records of many kinds.)Even if they weren't members at the time of the marriage, they probably joined by the time they had a few children.

http://www.augustana.edu/administration/SWENSON/

I read earlier that he was Ersson Blomqvist but if descendants didn't understand the Swedish patronymic naming system or if he used his father's patronymic name since the naming customs were starting to change, there could be conflicting information. (Of course, this military man could be the person Lena found was still living in Sweden in 1925. You need to check the parish records, and hopefully the Swedes will do some more checking for you.)

Good luck!

Judy

2003-10-10, 18:50
Svar #26

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi again, Steve,

I wrote too quickly. That man found on CD Emigraten was Carl August, not Carl Alfred. I'm sorry about that.

Judy,hanging her head in shame

2003-10-10, 19:11
Svar #27

Steve Bloomquist

Judy,

Thanks for the assistance!  I am excited that you found that man on the 1890 census.  I have sent three letters to Sweden just today, hoping to find some information to link or eliminate this man from my search.

In the past, fellow researchers have checked the Swedish-American church records (in western Pennsylvania) for him with no luck.  I don't think he joined such a church after his marriage because his wife was not Swedish, she was an American-born daughter of Swiss and German immigrants!

But who knows?  I think if I could figure out where he was in the USA prior to July 1897, I might find him in some predominantly Swedish area where he may have been a member of such a church.

As for Emigranten, I don't think I will ever find him in there until I know for certain where he was born and when he left.  There are too many possibilities.. especially if he was using a patronymic surname which I have no knowledge of..

I will continue steadfast in my pursuit, though.  I have been able to eliminate several of the possible emigrants in the Emihamn database by tracing those emigrants in Sweden and the USA.

I may one day have enough information collected to write a book about Blomqvist emigrants!  (And none of them related to me!)

2003-12-09, 17:18
Svar #28

Steve Bloomquist

Perhaps someone can learn something about this emigrant for me, which may help to make a determination:

A certain Karl A. Blomkvist from Värmland (unknown parish) can be found in the Norwegian emigration database online.  He left from Oslo on 1896 April 24, destination Greenwich.
(Karl A.  Blomkvist  m  Arb.  18  Wermland  Grenwich)

A match for this person can be found in the Ellis Island database, arriving 1896 May 16 on the ship St. Paul arriving from Southhampton.  (Karl A.
Blomqvist, male,  age 18, laborer, destination Greenwich, Rhode Island)

The spelling differs slightly between records, but it still seems to be the same person.

I don't know what resources may be available to trace this person backward in time prior to his departure from Oslo, but maybe it is possible.  I know how we all love a challenge!

2003-12-09, 17:51
Svar #29

Utloggad Gunvor Jensen

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hi Steve
I found this in Folkräkningen 1890, Karl Axel born 1879 in Karlstad city in Värmland, maybe he is the right person.

Karlstads stads församling  
Karl Axel  f. 1879 Karlstads stad
Om personen Om hushållet
Hemförsamling: Karlstads stads
Hemort: Stadsdelen Viken
Kontrakt: Kils
Län: Värmlands

Födelseår: 1879
Födelseort:  
Födelseförs: Karlstads stad
Födelseland:  
Civilstånd: Ogift (O)
Familjest: s
Famstkod: Barn (B)

Hushåll nr: 1489

Personer i hushållet:
Alfred Blomqvist f. 1845, gårdeg. born i Åbo, Suomi?
Anna Maria Andersson f. 1852 born Hammarö Värmland
Karl Axel f. 1879
Agnes Maria f. 1882
Alma Kristina f. 1887

I also find a Karl Adolf Blomqvist born 1873 in Nysund Annex, Värmland, father Karl August and mother Wilhelmina Kärfve
Gunvor

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna