ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Thelma Leifgren, Härnösand  (läst 465 gånger)

2001-03-15, 01:45
läst 465 gånger

Erica Hearne

In the USA, my great grandmother went by the maiden name of Thelma Augusta Leifgren.  She claimed a birth date of February, 1865.  On the birth record of one of her children, she indicated she was born in Härnösand.

On census records Thelma indicated she'd arrived in the USA in 1880.

She always told her children that she came to the USA with relatives, both of her parents were deceased (prior to her emigration) and that she was an only child.  

I am having no luck finding information on Thelma Augusta Leifgren.  Many U.S. records have various spellings of her last name such as Leifgren Leafgren.  I have a feeling the last name may have been Löfgren in Sweden... I also wonder if there is a different spelling of her first name - Thilma or Tilma possibly?

If any one has any information, or thoughts on where I might look for information, please advise.  Thank you in advance.
Erica Larsson-Hearne

2001-03-15, 19:37
Svar #1

Lars Öhman

Erica

Thelma is spelled Selma in Sweden. The most prominent Selma is probably the Nobel prize winner in literature, Selma Lagerlöf.

In the census 1890 for the county of Västernorrlands län you can see that 973 persons were called Selma. See it on

http://www.foark.umu.se/folk/y/  

In the same census 132 persons were called Löfgren but very few in Härnösand. Only nine persons.

Augusta was rather common at that time. 1798 persons in the whole county and 94 in Härnösand.

Leifgren does not exist as a family name in Sweden although Leif has been a popular first name for boys. More than 70000 men in Sweden are called Leif.

Almost 4000 people in Sweden are called Löfgren and a further 3000 are called Lövgren, which is a more modern spelling of the name.

Löf (spelled löv today) means leaf and gren means bough or limb of a tree.  

You could get further information from:

Landsarkivet i Härnösand
Rosenbäcksall?n 18
871 24  Härnösand

Regards

Lars Öhman

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna