ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Emigration look-up for Amund Jansson please  (läst 916 gånger)

2002-01-16, 18:48
läst 916 gånger

Ulrica Dahlqvist

Hi there! I'm trying to track down my ggg grandfather Amund Jansson. He was born 1804 in Rolanda, Alvsborgs lan and emigrated to the US in 1878 together with his son Olof Petter b. 1846 and his daughter Anna Kajsa b.1841 and a little girl called Stina Maja 3 1/2 years old. They were passengers on the ship Orlando that departed from Gothenburg? to Hull on May 24th. According to the passengerlist their destination was Chicago. Is there anyone that can confirm that and perhaps give more details about where he ended up?

2002-01-17, 08:47
Svar #1

Utloggad Sam Blixt

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 6336
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-04-23, 20:37
    • Visa profil
    • samblixt.se
Hi Ulrica,

Can the parish be Grolanda or Rölanda, there is a Grolanda in Älvsborgs län named Grolanda. There is a Rölanda parish in Göteborgs- och Bohus län.

Regards, Sam Blixt, Oskarshamn

2002-01-17, 09:41
Svar #2

Utloggad Bo Berndtsson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3221
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-29, 10:35
    • Visa profil
The family is listed on the CD Emigranten, and left Gothenburg 1878-05-24, destination Chicago. Their home parish is given as Dalsland, which of course is the province, not the parish. Ages given: Amund 74 yrs, Ola Petter 30, Anna Kajsa 36, Maja Stina 3.

2002-01-17, 16:35
Svar #3

Ulrica Dahlqvist

Hi Sam and Bo! Thank you for answering my little ad and confirming my suspicions. They came from Rölanda to answer your question Sam and I have information about them another generation back the problem is I can't find them in the States. In the churchbook their destination is stated as Iowa and in the emmigrant book as Chicago. Can the CD Emigranten be used to look for people departing from Liverpool? I suppose that's where people went for their connecting ship to America if they arrived at Hull. Amund had another son, Sven Magnus Amundsson, that moved to the States in 1872 and I believe they moved to him. Do you know if the Swedish society that used to be in Chicago still exists and if they have saved records from the immigrants?

Best regards,

Ulrica.

2002-01-17, 20:07
Svar #4

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Hi Ulrika,

Try the Swenson Center in Rock Island, Illinois. It is a very helpful place with many excellent resources.It has microfilmed Swedish-American church records for the U.S. and a small part of Canada, and Swedish-American newspapers too.They have many church records and newspapers for Chicago. They do research for a fee and people can visit and do research too.You can borrow the newspapers through interlibrary loan but the church records stay at the center.

http://www.augustana.edu/administration/SWENSON/index.htm

There is a Swedish museum and archive in Chicago. I don't know what they have as resources.

http://www.swedishamericanhist.org/

There are EXCELLENT state censuses available for Iowa. They could be ordered from a Family History Center. Don't confuse the state censuses with the U.S.Federal Census for the state of Iowa. They aren't the same and were taken in different years. The questions weren't always the same either.

2002-01-17, 20:54
Svar #5

Ulrica Dahlqvist

Hi Judy!

Thank you so much for your information and for writing down the addresses where I can try to get some more information about my ggg grandfather. I have been trying several American websites but so far to no avail. I realise Amund was to old by then to get any more children but it would be nice to know where he ended up and spent his last time and of course if there are any relatives on his children's side.

Best regards,

Ulrica.

2002-01-18, 20:29
Svar #6

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi Ulrika,

I assume that you are Swedish. If you wish (although your English is excellent), you could write to the Swenson Center (or call on the telephone) and write or speak in Swedish. They all speak Swedish fluently and there is at least one Swedish-born person on that staff.

I enjoy doing research there and trying to figure out what they are saying.They speak too fast for me so it is tough to understand. If they only would speak slower, I would probably understand more.:-) It reminds me of my childhood when there were Swedish conversations among the adults, especially when they wanted to keep things secret from the children.

Judy

2002-01-19, 14:51
Svar #7

Ulrica Dahlqvist

Hi Judy!

You are absolutely right about me being Swedish. I lived in the US though, between 1999-2000, in Stamford, CT to be exact, and I do not find your language very difficult. I thank you for advicing me about the possibility to use Swedish though, it was very considerate of you. I take it that your parents were Swedish? Where from exactly? It was a cute little anecdote you shared with me, and I thank you for that.

Best regards,

Ulrica.

2002-01-19, 18:32
Svar #8

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi Ulrika,

My mother and father were both born in Chicago. Mom had a Danish father and her mother was born in Tjärtakan, Frändefors, Älvsborg. Her dad died when she was just a little girl, so she had a lot of exposure to the Swedish culture and language.I don't think she knew much about Danish since she didn't teach me any. (She was the only living child and lived with her mom for many years, before and after marriage.) She tried to teach me some Swedish when I was small, but she died when I was 12, so she didn't finish the job.

My farfar was born in Grunsbo, Frändefors, Älvsborg, and knew my mormor's family from there.My farmor was born in Hedvig Eleonora, Stockholm, and was raised by foster parents. Those foster parents were the aunt and uncle of my farfar, so that's how they met.

My parents met in Chicago at the funeral of my farfar's bror.My mormor took Mom to the funeral and of course my dad was there, since his uncle had died.

Dad spoke nothing but Swedish until he was 6 years old and started school. I don't know about Mom but she did speak Swedish. All the adult relatives spoke Swedish, but the kids only knew a little bit. I think Mom taught us more Swedish than any of the cousins learned. I studied Swedish for two years in college but had no one to practice with because the older relatives died and my cousins didn't know very much.I forgot most of what I had learned, but I have started remembering the language (at least in writing) since I started doing genealogy a year and a half ago.

Probably most Americans of my generation and later didn't get much chance to learn the Swedish language, but many of us heard the older people speaking it.It makes us nostalgic.

Judy

2002-01-20, 08:19
Svar #9

Ulrica Dahlqvist

Hi Judy!

Thank you for sharing a little bit of your family history with me. The problem of forgetting Swedish, or any other language for that matter, seems to be a common problem in the States. At least that is what I experienced as an AuPair in CT. I was amazed by how many nationalities they knew they came from though. I agree with you that in order to remember a language you need to practice it. I've got a friend in IL that I've been writing since I was 12 and then I have others around the world that I need to communicate with in English. Thus, my writing skills in your language is still rather intact. It takes me a couple of days to get back to the speeking flow though. You are welcome to write me by e-mail in Swedish if you like in order to practice the language.

Best regards,

Ulica.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna