ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Emigrants from Grangärde (W)  (läst 789 gånger)

2001-12-08, 21:57
läst 789 gånger

Utloggad Clyde Peterson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 224
  • Senast inloggad: 2009-04-06, 02:49
    • Visa profil
I have found that several of my relative families and others emigrated from Grangärde to Norway, Michigan, USA. My ff was the first in our family to emigrate in 1880. Obviously there must have been others from Grangärde who emigrated to Norway, Michigan before that time. They probably wrote letters back to Grangärde friends and/or relatives about the mining work and/or farming opportunities in the Norway, Michigan area.I am searching for information on the earliest or earlier emigrants from Grangärde to Norway, Michigan.Can anyone help me with this information?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Best Regards, Clyde

2002-01-31, 07:43
Svar #1

Utloggad Clyde Peterson

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
I am searching for emigrant information of  
Sophia Jonadotter, born 20 April 1865 and
emigrated from Göteborg in 1886.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Clyde

2002-01-31, 08:23
Svar #2

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4039
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-12, 18:31
    • Visa profil
Hi Clyde, only one match for Sofia on the CD Emigranten, however, she's not from Grangärde (W) - as the heading of this discussion is named.
Sofia Jonasdotter, age 30, from Göteryd parish in county G, i e Kronoberg county, emigration from the port of Malmö, 22 April 1886, to Boston with the following: Johannes Danielsson, 33 yrs, same parish, port and destination. He is listed as hemmansägare, something like a homestead owner, and she is not listed with any occupation or as wife. On his information it states that he did not travel with anyone, but on hers it says she did. Source code (where to find them in the original material) 1886:1028:2306.

On your first question, some of the emigrants from Grangärde to Norway, Michigan you were given under the parish Dalarna: Socknar: Grangärde previously.

During the period 1860-1880 (I wrote that search period even if the CD doesn't start that early) 406 people emigrated from Grangärde, and 325 of them in the period 1870-1880. The only having Norway as a destination are two females emigrating on 7 May 1880, Josefine Carlsson 14 yrs old and Lisa Sofia Jakobsson, 47 yrs old. There are lots of destinations listed for these 325 emigrants, and no states are given but I think Ishpenning (as it is written on the CD) is Ishpeming and also Marquette is listed so some intended to go to Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Otherwise, I'm not a Grangärde or even Dalarna researcher (nor Göteryd), but I see that you haven't had any answers under Grangärde after our conversation there in December.
Kind regards,
Eva Dahlberg

2002-01-31, 16:00
Svar #3

Utloggad Clyde Peterson

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Eva,
Thank you very much.
In the Grangärde parish records, Sophia leaves Grangärde for North Amerika on 1 March 1886.
It is Sophia Jonsdotter or Jansdotter.
Kind Regards,
Clyde

2002-01-31, 16:59
Svar #4

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4039
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-12, 18:31
    • Visa profil
Hi Clyde, that makes a lot of difference! There is a Soffia Jansson, 30 yrs old, on the CD, leaving Garngärde via the port of Göteborg on 19 March 1886. She is travelling alone on her ticket for Norway, Illinois (sic!). During 1886 several other emigrants from Grangärde are reported as leaving for Norway Illinois, but this could very well be a mistake, the originals need to checked. 5 or 6 others from Grangärde leave the same day for the same destination as Soffia and a few others for Logan, Iowa. Among those leaving the same day for Norway is a Daniel Jansson, 25 yrs old.

Kind regards,  
Eva

2002-02-01, 01:44
Svar #5

Utloggad Clyde Peterson

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Hello Eva,
Thank you very much.
Sofia had a brother Daniel Jansson but he would have been 27 years old and Sofia would have been 20 years old. Even though the ages written down are different it is probably my Sofia and Daniel, brother and sister. Sophia is my fm.
Kind regards,
Clyde

2002-02-01, 02:44
Svar #6

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Hi,

There was a Norway, Illinois, on this old atlas from 1895. I can't find such a place on a modern atlas. (There are other Norways in the U.S. but not in Illinois.)

http://www.livgenmi.com/atiln.htm

http://www.livgenmi.com/lasalleIL.htm

That old atlas has been very helpful to me when I searched for my emigrants.Maybe it will help you too when you try to find your emigrants going to places that aren't on modern maps.

This is the main page for that site.

http://www.livgenmi.com/1895.htm

Judy

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna