ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Emigranten cd lookup  (läst 564 gånger)

2002-11-05, 03:08
läst 564 gånger

S Cassell

I am trying to find my very elusive greatgrandfather. He was born in Sweden in Oct 5 1857 (maybe 1856). He arrived in the port of New York in May, 1881. He lived in Duluth, Minnesota until his death in 1925. The hard part is his name. The first record I have of him shows his name as Nels Christofer Woleene. Since Woleene is not a Swedish name, it is likely that he changed his name. His name in Sweden may have been Nels Christoferson. I would be most appreciative if someone would look him up on the emigranten CD.

2002-11-05, 04:08
Svar #1

Utloggad Maud Svensson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 21972
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-18, 10:26
    • Visa profil
His surname in Sweden may have been Wohlin/Wåhlin. The Swedish pronounciation of this name agrees with the English spelling Woleene.
Hälsar vänligen
Maud

2002-11-05, 05:50
Svar #2

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4039
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-12, 18:31
    • Visa profil
Hi! There is no Nils Wallin/Wohlin/Wåhlin with W or V on the CD Emigranten emigrating in 1881. No Nils Wohlin/Wåhlin spelling variations in the 1800s at all. One Nils Wall?n in 1871. A handful of Nils Wallin in other years  for example 1880 and 1882.

What records have you looked for? Obituary? Swedish American Church records? The last ones often specify parish of birth in Sweden.

Kind regards,
Eva Dahlberg

2002-11-05, 18:10
Svar #3

Utloggad Karl-Henrik Rydén

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 943
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-08, 21:51
    • Visa profil
    • edshult.eu
In the Emigranten CD there is a Nils Christoffersen 23 years old from Sweden who leaves from Copenhagen in Denmark on May 12 1881. The destination is Atwater, Minnesota and the Source Code is 3641.  
Could it be him?  
As he leaves from Denmark there is no info on which parish in Sweden he comes from. A guess is that he comes from the south of Sweden.

2002-11-06, 06:09
Svar #4

Utloggad Maud Svensson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 21972
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-18, 10:26
    • Visa profil
S Cassell,
this may be your elusive ancestor:

Nils born Oct 5 1857
Father: Forester Christoffer Evensson
Mother: Wife Nilla Persdotter, 37 years old when Nils was born.
They lived in Skomakarehuset (Shoemaker's House) that belonged to Wanås (modern spelling Vanås), a castle built in the 15th century. The parish is Gryt, county Kristianstad, province Skåne.

Only one brother of Nils' found:
Per, born May 27 1848 in Wanås, Gryt
Father: Forester Christoffer Efvertsson
Mother: Nilla Persdotter, 28 years

Nilla Persdotter, wife of former forester Christoffer Evertsson, died Nov 13 1878. Age: 57 years, 10 months, 18 days. Cause of death: dropsy. Now their residence was N:o 4, Västra (West) Olinge, Gryt parish.

Source: http://www.ddss.nu
( Transcriptions of birth, marriage and death records of southern Sweden. I would guess that the correct name of Nils' father is Evertsson, old spelling Efvertsson.)

Kind regards,
Maud
Hälsar vänligen
Maud

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna