ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: EDWIN Henry Victor Edwin and Bertha Berg Edwin  (läst 993 gånger)

2001-12-04, 06:13
läst 993 gånger

Cheri Woods-Edwin

Help! I am trying to find any information on my husbands family and sir name.  We know Henry and Bertha were both born in Sweden around 1870-1875.  According to family stories the Swedish name was Brantedvin or some kind of variation of this.  My husband is named Brandt Edwin because of this story.  Is this just a Tall Tale or is there Edwin's in Sweden?  Also are there Clans in Sweden? Thanks!!

Cheri Woods-Edwin

2001-12-04, 11:08
Svar #1

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Please, check out our English web site at Swedish Roots,
where you will find information about what is necessary to know before you start your Swedish research.

2001-12-04, 17:58
Svar #2

Nina M.Nordby

Do you know when they emigrated, from where, were they married or did they travell with their parents, any kids? Maybe some of the kids were named after their parents. Any details please. Did someone ever visit Sweden?

2001-12-05, 08:04
Svar #3

Cheri Woods-Edwin

Thanks to all for replying! As to Nina's post...I only have a few items to help me in my Swedish search.  The main proof I have that my husbands family came from Sweden is a copy of a birth certificate from New York for my husbands grandfather that listed his parents as Henry Victor Edwin birthplace Sweden and Bertha Maria Edwin, Maiden name Berg, Birthplace Sweden.  I also have a photograph of a sailor from what appears to be Egypt(Thanks to the help of another person on this board) and a picture of a woman in a nice village with Alf Rohlander fotograf Westervik on the back of the picture.  My husband has been told that the Edwin family were part of a clan in Sweden and that the clan was named Brandtedvin  I have found no proof of this though.  Henry seems to be the family name with the earlier Edwins but my husband is named Brandt Raymond Edwin and his dad's name is Raymond Brant Edwin (spelled differently).  Could this be a clue?  I think that the couple married in Sweden before 1901, but I have no proof of this either.Thanks agin for everybodys help!!

2001-12-05, 11:18
Svar #4

Nina M.Nordby

I believe that I might have found your Bertha, and when you told me about that photographer in Westervik I'm quite sure about this, even if here middle name Marie ain't mentioned. This Bertha was 24 years old in 1896 when she entered Ellis Island. Maybe she later on met this sailor. I think you might be able to find your husbands ancestors now!!!!! Let's know what happens!!  

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passRecord.asp?FNM=BERTHA&LNM=BERG&PLNM=BERG&RF=8&ETHS=436&ALTS=97%7C%3Ferg&ALTS=97%7Cbarg&pID=103282010260&MID=15557714200030707104&

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/matchRecord.asp?FNM=BERTHA&LNM=BERG&PLNM=BERG&ETHS=436&kind=exact&dwpdone=1

I'm not sure, but could anyone tell us where Westervik is? Maybe in the Småland/Öland area?

2001-12-05, 11:56
Svar #5

Utloggad Mikael Edberg

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 532
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-01-19, 21:32
    • Visa profil
    • hem.bredband.net/mikedb/slaktindex.htm
Hmmm, 20 minutes to late  
I also found Bertha Berg in the ellis island records.
By using following sites search engine,
http://home.pacbell.net/spmorse/ellis/ellis.html
it was also possible to find her in the original
ship manifest.
Series M237, Roll 664, Frame 460, Line 257.
(which is not the same page www.ellisisland.org shows after a search on their site).
She travelled alone and her destination in U.S. where New York.
Västervik is situated in northern part of Kalmar Län, Småland.
It would now be easy to find Bertha in the church records.
I suggest you take contact with PLF.
They have a database with all church records you need. Since their homepage is in swedish, it is probably better if you contact Sam Blixt, the brain behind the database.
You can find his email adress on this site.

2001-12-05, 13:37
Svar #6

Utloggad Mikael Edberg

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
I have to correct myself!
PLF have some information written in english here:
http://www.algonet.se/~thunberg/plf/
If you are lucky, someone with access to the database will help you here on anbytarforum.

2001-12-06, 00:08
Svar #7

Utloggad Mikael Edberg

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Cheri, It?s pretty safe to say that the above mentioned Bertha is the correct one.
I found her in the birth records for Västervik, where her middlename Maria is included.
I used an internet service called Genonline, and the scanned picture of the record were a little hard to read but following was clear:
Bertha Maria Berg, born 1872 Nov 17 in Västervik.
Father: Adolf Fredrik Berg (age 38)
Mother: Carolina Nilsdotter (age 39).
The fathers profession is mentioned and some additional numbers i don't understand.
Maybe somone else can figure it out?
Source: SCB Kalmar Län, page 421. Birth number 127.

2001-12-06, 22:27
Svar #8

Cheri Woods-Edwin

Thanks for all your help everybody!!  
Mikael Edberg- I was wondering if you could give me the link for Genonline?  Also, When you looked up Bertha's Birth, did it list the parish?  I am hoping to find information on her parents.  Thank you!

2001-12-06, 22:55
Svar #9

Utloggad Mikael Edberg

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Hi Cheri,

The link to Genline, not genonline as i said earlier, is:
http://www.genline.nu
However, this is a service you have to pay quite much for. I have done that since almost all my ancestors came from the part of sweden that is present in their database today.
The service PLF, see above, can offer is less expensive.
Regarding Berthas birth, i was maybe not clear, but she was born in Västervik Parish.
Västervik is a small town with about 20,000 inhabitants.
I know the surroundings very well, since i?m born and raised in the archipelago nearby, and my parents and sisters still live there.
If you send me a scanned version of the picture from Västervik, i can probably tell more about the church.
You can put it here on anbytarforum or send it to my email: mikael.edberg@era.ericsson.se

I tried to find Bertha's parents in the birth records for Västervik parish tonight.
The only possible persons i found were:
Carolina Helena, born 29 June 1833 in Västervik.
Parents: Nils Nilsson and Anna Maja Kollberg(age 36).
This could possible be Bertha's grandparents.
(Carolina's patronymikon should be Nilsdotter).
But she could also be from another parish ofcourse.

2001-12-06, 23:16
Svar #10

Nina M.Nordby

I have placed a photo of a sailor, maybe Henry Viktor Edwin, at bildgåtan further down. Maybe he's familiar to someone, or maybe someone could tell you what kind of uniform he's wearing.

2001-12-12, 10:41
Svar #11

Utloggad Mikael Edberg

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Here are som new information about Bertha Berg's family in Västervik.
I found this family in HFL(Husförhörslängden, whatever that is in english), for Västerviks parish between 1871 and 1888.(AI:61, 66 and 71).

Adolf Fredrik Berg, skoarbetare(Shoe worker!), born 23-Feb-1834 in Sund Parish. married 26-Dec-1864 with:

Carolina Nilsdotter, born 12-Feb-1833 in Gladhammar parish.

Children:
Johanna Carolina, born 26-March-1866
Carl Albert, born 20-Aug-1867
Gustaf Victor, born 17-Jan-1870
Bertha Maria, born 17-Nov-1872

All children were born in Västervik parish.

I guess that Skoarbetare is like an assistant to a Shoe maker.
The family moved around several times in Västervik, most of the time in Norra Qvarteret (North Quarter), but ended up in Södra Qvarteret (South Qu.), number 7 in 1888.
Bertha Maria was born in Norra Qvarteret, number 56.
I don't have access to information after 1888, but it should not be impossible to find some descendants still alive.
There are about 40 persons in the telephone directory in Västervik year 2001.

2001-12-12, 14:52
Svar #12

Cheri Woods-Edwin

Thank you SO MUCH for all of the help you have given me, Nina and Mikael.  This information is truly amazing and I would not have ever found it without you! I can't wait to continue the search and I will post amy updates!  
Cheri

2001-12-12, 16:11
Svar #13

Utloggad Mikael Edberg

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
The last sentence in my message above should be:
There are about 40 persons with the surname Berg in the telephone directory in Västervik year 2001.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna