ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Axel Olson and Louisa Anderson  (läst 696 gånger)

2002-07-23, 02:43
läst 696 gånger

Miles Olson

I'm looking for information on my Swedish ancestors who emigrated from Sweden in the late 1860's (family records indicate 1868 as their emigration date). My great grandfather's name was Axel Olson; my great grandmother was Louisa (Anderson) Olson. They, with three children - Adolph (born 1862), Anthon (born 1866), and Christina (born 1868) - emigrated to Boone, Iowa, where Axel worked on the railroad for a time (he also worked as a farmer), after which the family moved to Valley Springs, SD, where they bought a farm.

Axel and Louisa were married in 1861 at Nygardet, Krokobohl, Varmland, Sweden. According to family oral records, Axel was descended from one of five French waiting maids who came to Sweden from France with the Bernadotte court. Louisa's father was Anders Sandal, who with his two brothers went to Russia and married there, then returned to Sweden.

After their marriage in 1861, Axel and Louisa lived at Shellarbyn [the name of the family farm not far from Sunna]  in Varmland until they emigrated to the USA in 1868 with their three children.

My grandfather, Elmer (sometimes called Hjalmar) Olson, was born in Boone in 1876; two other children- Selina, born 1872 in Dayton County, Iowa, died 1885 in Valley Springs, SD; Edwin Julius, born 1874 in Dayton County, Iowa, and died there in 1880 - were apparently born there as well. The family moved to Valley Springs, SD (sometimes recorded as Beaver Valley, SD) in 1881/1882.

2002-07-23, 10:23
Svar #1

Bo Johansson

There is one place in Värmland named Skällarbyn at approx 59 deg 43 min N, 12 deg 18 min E. It seems to be more than one farm and less than a village, there are three or four farms in a group. There is also a school nearby called Skällarbyn skola.
Skällarbyn is in Eda kommun, 50 km (30 mi) from Sunne, and actually closer to Arvika or Charlottenberg than to Sunne.  

// Bo Johansson

2002-07-23, 19:48
Svar #2

Peter Karlsson (Peterk)

And the parish of Skällarbyn is Köla..
-I also find 'Krokebol' - it's a small village (Nygärdet must be the farmname) not far from Skällarbyn, but in Älgå parish. Theese parishnames is the most important thing of all if you want to go further back..

You can find discussions for both Köla and Älgå under Anbytarforum: Landskap: Värmland: Socknar.  
Regards/Peter

2002-08-03, 18:12
Svar #3

Utloggad Nils Hård af Segerstad

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1652
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-21, 10:13
    • Visa profil
Hello Miles!
I happen to be a grandchild of the brother-in-law of the aforementioned Christina Olsson. She was not born in 1868 but 1864 April 25 in Köla parish, Värml. Her parents were Axel Olsson (b 1836 13/12 in Ny parish) and Lovisa Andersdotter (b 1839 4/10 in Älgås parish). Axel was a sawyer?s servant and they lived in Skällarbyn, Köla. Christina Olsson died in 1955 June 2 during a hip-operation.
Axel?s parents: Olof Persson and Cajsa Carlsdotter of Kroppsland, Ny parish.  
No trace of any French maids, so far!
Christina Olssons husband, doctor Hjalmar Holmgren was an older brother of mymaternal grandfather, professor Nils Holmgren.
Regards/ Nils.

2002-08-06, 23:58
Svar #4

Miles Olson

Hello, Nils!

What a pleasure to find someone who knows our family so well! I never knew Dr. Hjalmar Holmgren, but I did know great aunt Christina (we called her Tina) from her frequent visits to the Olson homestead. I also knew Julia and Hjalmar (Johnny), but I don't remember ever meeting Ruth.
Did you know that Tina and the three children went to Faith, South Dakota, in 1909 or 1910 to homestead? A group of Swedes from the Beaver Valley community went to that dry land, thinking they would find some property of great value. What they found was drought and loneliness. Tina's family, along with many others including my wife's maternal grandparents, returned empty handed. My wife's mother was born on a homestead near Faith in 1910.
I so appreciate your information. It's also a real joy to learn of a relative, even if distant and by marriage. If you would like to correspond, I've included my e-mail address.
Thank you again for your great help.
Miles

2002-08-09, 14:25
Svar #5

Utloggad Nils Hård af Segerstad

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1652
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-21, 10:13
    • Visa profil
Hello, Miles!
I met your cousin Johnny when he came to see us in Sweden about 1964, when Tina?s brother-in-law, Anders Holmgren was still alive at 90.
Johnny?s sisters were Ruth and Helen, not Julia.
I can?t see your e-mail address above.
I?ve got no e-mail, just the oldfashioned snail-mail. I?m at the local library now without access to my Holmgren files.
Are you a resident of California like the Holmgrens were in later days?

2002-08-23, 21:24
Svar #6

Miles Olson

Dear Nils,  

I'm sorry that I added Julia to the list of Tina's children. She was Tina's youngest sister, and she, too, lived much of her life in California.  

If you would care to write me, I live at 2753 Hughs Drive, Erie, Colorado, 80516 USA. My email address is milesolson@juno.com if you discover a way to make contact through that means.  

I never learned why Tina went to California, although she was quite adventuresome, and I'm sure a California adventure would have piqued her curiosity.  
Many of us have left South Dakota, for there is not a great deal of opportunity there. I completed graduate study at universities in Minnesota and Nebraska, then took a professorship at the University of Colorado. I held that appointment for thirty years, until I retired.  
I'm pleased to hear that you met Johnny. I didn't know him well, but I certainly found him an interesting fellow.  

Tina's brother, Elmer (Hjalmar), was my grandfather. He was born in Iowa, whereas the oldest children - Christina, Adolph, and Anthon - were all born in Sweden. All of Elmer's children spent their lives quite close to the homestead. In fact my parents (in their late 80's) live only a few miles from where they were born, and all have been farmers.  

I would enjoy hearing from you and meeting you as well. We have traveled in Sweden three times, each time visiting my maternal grandmother's family in Torekov, on the west coast. We drove to Skallarbyn and found only a few homes which seemed mostly to be summer homes. I doubt that any of the Olsson family live there. Anthon said that all of Axel's brothers and sisters, with the exception of Skallman, emigrated to America. Have you any information about his descendants?  

I've written too much. Please write when you have time.

Miles

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna