ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Amanda Carolina Bredahl  (läst 623 gånger)

2001-04-13, 14:55
läst 623 gånger

Margaret Kirkey

I am looking for the family of my great grandmother, Amanda Carolina Bredahl, who was born near Halmstad, Sweden in October, 1866. She emigrated to the United States with a ticket to New York in 1883.She eventually married John (Johann) Benjamin Larsson (son of Lars Nilsson and Inga Beata of Torsås, Sweden). Thank you for any help you can give me.
Margaret Kirkey

2001-04-13, 17:58
Svar #1

Utloggad Sam Blixt

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 6336
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-04-23, 20:37
    • Visa profil
    • samblixt.se
Hi Margaret,

In CD, Emigranten I found that Amanda Carolin Bredahl emigrated 1883, Oct. 19 from Gothenburg,
she was 17 year, parish was Slöinge, Halland.

The destination was as You say New York.

Regards/Sam Blixt/Oskarshamn

2001-04-16, 04:55
Svar #2

Amanda Carolina Bredahl

Thank you, Sam. I am hoping someone who sees this post can tell me if she had any siblings or who her parents were. I believe I still have relatives in Sweden somewhere. Regards, Margaret.

2001-04-16, 20:41
Svar #3

Göran Johansson

Margaret K.

The Bredahl family might have its origin in Denmark although Amanda Carolina sounds swedish. The first one in Sweden that I know anything about is Rasmus Madsen Bredahl, born in Denmark. He died in 1677 in Hörby in the south part of Sweden where he was a vicar. He is one of my ancesters. His sons daugter was maried to a priest in a parish near Torsås. I will try to find the parents of your Amanda Carolina Bredahl. Have you got more information about her?

2001-04-16, 22:40
Svar #4

Margaret Kirkey

Goran, forgive me, but my computer does not make the accent marks over the o to write your name correctly and I would need the same marks above the o in Sloinge (the town near Halmstad where my great-gandmother Amanda Carolina Bredahl was born according to the family Bible). I have her birthday: October 5, 1866. That is all I know of her family before she married my great-grandfather (who was from Torsås in Kalmar)Johan Benjamin Larsson. They had two daughters, one of whom was my grandmother, four grandchildren and 7 great-grandchildren here in the U.S. They settled in Cleveland, Ohio, and are buried there. Amanda died late in 1943 or early in 1944. Thank you for any help you can give me. Most sincerely, Margaret.

2001-04-17, 20:34
Svar #5

Göran Johansson

Margaret.
I have found out that Amanda Carolina Bredahl came to Slöinge from Revinge (a village near the city of Lund) in november 1882. After that she emigrated to America in october 1883. I did not find anything about her birth in the birth records for Revinge but in another source there was a note which says she was born in Revinge in 1866-10-05 (just as you told me). I will try once more to find her parents.
Kind regards
Goeran Johansson

2001-04-17, 22:03
Svar #6

Margaret Kirkey

Thank you for your help Göran. I appreciate it very much. Regards, Margaret

2001-04-18, 18:28
Svar #7

Göran Johansson

Margaret

I was wrong about Reveinge village outside Lund. There is a place with a similar name close to Halmstad. In the birth records it is called Refwinge and today the name is Rävinge. Below I send some more information about Amanda Carolina and her family. I think it is possible to find out a lot more about them - invertories the deceased?s goods etc. I am also sure that it is possible to find more generations on both sides.

Another possible way is to try to find possible descendents of her sister Albertina who emigrated to Copenhagen (look below).

Amanda Carolina Bredahl:
Her father was Swen Christian Bredahl, born 1805-02-06 in Harplinge near Halmstad. He was a farm labourer. Her mothers name was Benedikta Larsdotter. She was born in Slättåkra 1820-12-09.

Swen Christian Bredahl:
His father was Lars Bredall. He was a farm foreman in Harplinge. His mother was Hellna Andersdotter.  

Benedicta Larsdotter:
Her father was Lars Bengtsson in Lia, Slättåkra. Her mother was Beata Hansdotter.

Amanda Carolina Bredahl had at least one sister whose name was Albertina born 1859-11-06 in Refwinge (Rävinge). She emigrated to Copenhagen, Denmark 1879-06-11. /Göran

2001-04-19, 00:53
Svar #8

Margaret Kirkey

Thank you, Göran! You have been SO much help! I understand there was a potato famine in the 1ate 1800s. If this is true, it would explain why my ancestors would move from their hometown for a year (seeking work)and then emigrate to America. My feeling is that, since Amanda Bredahl traveled alone to New York, she must have had some relatives already in the United States at the time. I will keep searching. Thank you again.
Best regards, Margaret

2001-04-19, 19:11
Svar #9

Göran Johansson

Lars Bredahl died in Rävinge 1835 at an age of 67. Thus he was born around 1768. The question is where. His five (or six) children where all married in Rävinge 1830-40.

2001-04-20, 21:19
Svar #10

Göran Johansson

Margaret
The family name Bredahl in Halland county probably has its origin in Breared parish east of Halmstad. In Breared there was a landlord Per Larsson. His son Nils was born in 1778-05-10. He was titled contingent borgare when he returned to Breared about 1810. I guess it means that he temporarely had been a burgher (townsman). When he came home to the village were he was born his name was Bredahl instead of Persson. I do not know for sure if your Bredahl can derive its origin from the same parish (Breared) even if it seems to be the most probable thing.
Best regards
Göran

2001-04-23, 04:24
Svar #11

Margaret Kirkey

Göran, that is a very interesting historical story. How did you learn of this landlord, Per Larsson?
Best Regards,  
Margaret

2001-04-23, 19:48
Svar #12

Göran Johansson

Margaret
I found the landlord in the church records (Breared parish). I am not 100% sure that I have come to a correct conclusion about the relationship between Amanda Carolina Bredahl and Per Larsson. More research is necessary.
Best Regards
Göran

2001-04-24, 01:16
Svar #13

Margaret Kirkey

Göran
I am amazed at what you have found already. Thank you.
Regards,
Margaret

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna