ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Lundquist/Lundqvist - Different names ?  (läst 2080 gånger)

2013-07-15, 14:22
läst 2080 gånger

Utloggad Darren Pine

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 34
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-03-03, 10:40
    • Visa profil
Hello everyone,
I have two questions relating to the name Lundquist/Lundqvist. First of all, I understand how surnames came to be used in Sweden.
I would like to know are these two names the same, or is there some slight difference? And is it simply coincidence that two second cousins in different places adopt the same name of Lundquist/Lundqvist?
Thanks.

2013-07-15, 21:29
Svar #1

Utloggad Leif Lundkvist

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4528
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-19, 12:18
    • Visa profil
Hello Darren,

Lundqvist/Lundkvist/Lundquist are all the same name and different priests and persons just happened to spell it one way or the other, at least earlier. Today the spelling is more fixed, but my whole family has spelled it Lundkvist, but officially we are Lundqvist. If the cousins took the same name, they probably tried to take a common family name, but they or the priests happened to spell it different.

Regards
Lundkvist

(Meddelandet ändrat av Leif_lundkvist 2013-07-15 21:32)

2013-07-16, 12:38
Svar #2

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
When 19th century Swedes took a family name, many picked a name that was based upon e.g. the place they came from. So if you find out that the two second cousins have a common ancestor who lived in a place that has Lund (grove) in its name, perhaps they didn't coordinate the name change, but simply drew their inspiration from the same source.

2013-07-17, 09:47
Svar #3

Utloggad Darren Pine

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Thank you to both of you for your replies. I guess I will never know for sure. One was living in Hässjö, the other moved from Häggdånger to Härnösand.

2013-07-17, 13:01
Svar #4

Utloggad Leif Lundkvist

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4528
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-19, 12:18
    • Visa profil
Well Darren, you probably never will know for sure. If you have names, dates and sources we might be able to find out more.

2013-08-03, 01:11
Svar #5

Utloggad Darren Pine

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Their common ancestor was described as a church warden in the various birth and death records, so could Lund have some sort of religious connection?

2013-08-03, 10:36
Svar #6

Utloggad Katrin Lundstedt-Enkel

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 250
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-11-21, 00:29
    • Visa profil
    • www.acurebio.com
In the 18 hundreds the Swedish king posted a vish, that not every Swede was named Andersson, Pettersson, Johansson... The patrikymic (spelling?) name tradition since a LONG time back, giving the son of Johan the name Johans son (Johansson) and the daughters of Johan the name Johansdotter. These are not real surnames, more of a denotation that this person was Eva, Johans daughter...

The middle and end of 18 hundreds saw a movement that in Sweden that today is called Nationalromantiken (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romantic_nationalism ). One of the trends were to love nature... Not difficult to do in Sweden I can assure you. So, what did a lot of Swedes do? They got a surname, that often (not always) had two parts, and those two part were very often somethig to do with nature. Hedberg (hed=moore, berg=mountain), Sjöström (Sjö=lake, ström= stream), Lindgren (Lind=Tilia cordata (Small-leaved Lime, occasionally Small-leaved Linden or Little-leaf Linden), gren=branch), Lundberg (Lund=grove of trees, berg=mountain) etc.  

So yes your ancestors could come from a place called Lund (city in Skania) or as my husbands relatives from the village Lunde in Medelpad (thus creating the surname Lundstdedt, where the part Lund meant that they lived in Lunde, and the part stedt ment they lived in the military stedding in Lunde...).  

It is therefore highly unlikely that the Lund part in the name was anything to do with religion and much more part to do with that they loved forest groves... And Quist, qvist, qwist, kvist... that means a tree branch thus making it likely the name alliterates to a forest or a smaller grove.

Just as a parenthesis, when my mothers fathers father took the name Hedberg, his brother took the name Lindberg, showing that even brothers could choose completely different. They were born Johansson...

2013-08-03, 20:08
Svar #7

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
By following this link, you can learn more about Swedish surnames:  

http://www.etgenealogy.se/nwonamn.htm

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna