ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Change of name in 1700's?  (läst 1315 gånger)

2013-06-17, 12:39
läst 1315 gånger

Utloggad Darren Pine

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 34
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-03-03, 10:40
    • Visa profil
Hello everybody, This is my first post on here. I have been going back through early records in Hässjö to find more family members for my ancestor Jacob Larsson. With a fresh set of eyes, I have now discovered that he used the name Svensson in early years, and actually the only record he is described as Larsson is his widow's burial record, which is the first one I found previously.
Jacob Larsson of Krigsbyn had several children with his wife, Helena Olofsdotter, including a son, Olof Jacobsson, in 16 Feb 1747. Looking at Olof's record again, it does seem to be Jacob Svensson. Have I got it all wrong, and mixed up two families, or has Jacob changed his name for some reason? Was this a usual occurrence?

2013-06-17, 13:39
Svar #1

Utloggad Hasse Hultman

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 900
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-06, 21:29
    • Visa profil
    • Hasse Hultmans släktforskning
Larsson means son of Lars and Svensson means son of Sven. Larsson and Svensson are not really names, but a denomination of who was his father. This means in turn that a Svensson could not change his name to Larsson. You must try to find another explanation for the differences in names you have seen. Find all children and check the father's name and find the wedding record and check the names. Finally the widow might have re-married with a Larsson.

2013-06-17, 13:43
Svar #2

Utloggad Moderator English

• Moderator *****
  • Antal inlägg: 62
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-05-13, 20:07
    • Visa profil
Thread transfered from General questions as it concerns Names.

2013-06-17, 15:00
Svar #3

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
As the patronymic Larsson only appears once, yet another possibility is that the parson simply wrote the wrong name. Perhaps the name was on the top of his mind because he'd just written an entry about a Larsson, or maybe he knew a Jacob Larsson.

2013-06-18, 06:11
Svar #4

Utloggad Darren Pine

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Thanks for your replies. Both of those options have occurred to me: Helena re-marrying, or the parson writing the wrong name. I had already looked for a second marriage for Helena, unsuccessfully. I will try again. I will go back and check if there isn't a Larsson neaby in the records, and also double-check all of the records. When I looked at several of the children's births, they were all Svensson. There is no marriage record for Jacob and Helena that I could find in the Hässjö records. And as for Jacob's burial in 1768, the more I look at it, the more I was unsure, although I think it is Svensson.

2013-06-18, 06:37
Svar #5

Utloggad Darren Pine

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Looking at the earlier records (the children's births), I was still not certain. However, studying Jacob's burial record, I looked at nearby records for other instances of a capital L and S. On the page before, I found a Lissa with almost exactly the same style in the first letter. Also on that page was a Simon, and the S was completely different.  
Looks like it is Larsson after all. I have to say, this is the first time I have ever been stumped with the handwriting.
By the way, is there anyone with access to the Hässjö records who tell me what Jacob's occupation was in his burial record please? C:1, image 132, page 128 on arkivsdigital ( not sure if those numbers are universal).

2013-06-18, 07:58
Svar #6

Utloggad Jan Kärrman

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 438
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-26, 22:57
    • Visa profil
It is definitely Larsson in the burial record, and he is called Kyrkowärden (churchwarden).

Also, he died from ledwerk och bröstwerk (joint pains and breast pains).

/Jan

2013-06-18, 11:37
Svar #7

Utloggad Darren Pine

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Thank you very much, Jan. Most times I can either work out what each record says, but occasionally I find a word that stumps me. This one I couldn't work out at all.
joint pains and breast pains sounds very much like a heart attack, doesn't it?

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna