ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: """"Goat-Land""""  (läst 1266 gånger)

2014-07-16, 19:43
läst 1266 gånger

Utloggad Sherri Buete

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 14
  • Senast inloggad: 2014-07-18, 21:53
    • Visa profil
    • www.thefamilywreath.com
Greetings. My g-g-grandfather entered the USA illegally (long story posted on another board!), so we have no immigration records for him. He settled in Georgia, the deep south of the USA. Our relatives there said he was from (insert southern accent!) Goat-Land, a small island near Stockholm.

We have always assumed this to be Gotland, but we've never been able to locate him. Recently someone suggested that perhaps there may be an island in the Stockholm Archipelago that might be called by a similar name. I've not been able to find a complete listing of the islands by name- does anyone know where to find one, or has anyone heard of an island by a similar name?

Any help is sincerely appreciated!

2014-07-16, 20:40
Svar #1

Utloggad Lars Snith

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 255
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-19, 20:22
    • Visa profil
    • www.snith.nu/lars/
I do not get any immediate idea about that. The main islands with year-round settlements are here:
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_%C3%B6ver_%C3%B6ar_och_platser_i_Stockholms_s k%C3%A4rg%C3%A5rd
But there are many more that used to be settled in the past. Stockholm archipelago is 2nd in the world only to the Greek one in size, and the total number of islands is 30000-35000.
I would still bet on Gotland. Just an idea, you are certain you have his original Swedish name?
Many that emigrated /immigrated illegally did so with fake names and documents.
Anyone else with more ideas?
Best regards,  Lars

2014-07-17, 15:52
Svar #2

Utloggad Håkan Bergström

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1337
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-25, 22:21
    • Visa profil
What was his name?  
Maybe he could be identfied in for example the 1880 or 1890 Swedish Census?

/Håkan

2014-07-17, 16:18
Svar #3

Utloggad Moderator USA

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1328
  • Senast inloggad: Aldrig
    • Visa profil
Jämför en tråd under USA HÄR

2014-07-17, 18:03
Svar #4

Utloggad Sherri Buete

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 14
  • Senast inloggad: 2014-07-18, 21:53
    • Visa profil
    • www.thefamilywreath.com
Yes, the post above has the link to my Charley Pearson post.  

Thank you very much for the feedback on Gotland vs. the Stockholm archipelago. I am very, very grateful!!

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna