ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Options; Arkivdigital, Genline, SVAR  (läst 2597 gånger)

2012-05-31, 14:47
läst 2597 gånger

Utloggad Barry Hill

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 80
  • Senast inloggad: 2012-07-23, 02:43
    • Visa profil
I am hoping someone with a lot of experience with these services can tell me w they what they recommend and why. I have used ArkivDigital (AD) at a branch LDS Family History Center (LDS FHC) and have access there pretty much whenever I want to make a 10-15 minute drive.  My main dissatisfaction is that I cannot get a printout near as good as the digital screen image even with a good printer on highest settings. Because of the colored background it also seems to waste ink on a color printer.  Are there any tips for better printouts.  

I am also not sure if it is worth subscribing to AD since I have free access with a 10 minute drive or if money would be better spent on an additional product like Genline (which I used briefly several years ago).  I do understand that one is digital color photos and one is copied micofilm. I do not know if one has different record search ability or different records and if I would gain by having access to Genline at my house and AD at the LDS FHC.

I also know nothing about SVR and any subscriptions they have and where they fit into considering a subscription service.

NOTE: Keep in mind that I do NOT read Swedish other than recognizing a few headings. I am a little familiar with Swedish record systems from the exceptional help I received here and from reading Your Swedish Roots by Clemensson/Andersson

I am not looking for an advertisement only some practical guidance on what to consider.

Thanks for your input.

Barry

Thank You

Since

2012-05-31, 16:34
Svar #1

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
If you subscribe to a service with scanned Swedish parish books, you will quickly learn a handful of the most commonly used words. Lack of fluency in Swedish has not stopped me from going back generations in the Swedish records. You already own Your Swedish Roots and eventually you may want to purchase the more detailed Cradled in Sweden.

I copy/paste my Arkiv Digital images into a free service called Irfanview. (I discovered it at the Family History Library.) It allows me to save the image and put it into my genealogy program. (I used to make lots and lots of printouts, which after a few years started to take over my home. I am much more selective about what I print out now.)

http://www.irfanview.com/

These locations in the U.S. have access to Genline.

http://www.genline.com/resources/libraries_a-z.php?land=us&list=a-z

(Also, your public library might have a subscription to Ancestry.com's library edition. The one in my hometown has the scanned parish records for Sweden.)

If you live close to a Family History Center with Arkiv Digital, I suppose you could skip that subscription and perhaps get a subscription to SVAR. Here are subscription details for SVAR.

Type of subscription    Price (SEK)
Annual subscription    995:-[Order]
Half year subscription    695:-[Order]
Quarterly subscription    395:-[Order]
Monthly subscription *    245:-[Order]
10 visits (3 hours each) **    295:-[Order]
1 visit (3 hours) ***    50:-[Order]

Use a currency converter to see what the SVAR prices look like in American dollars.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

I subscribe to Genline, SVAR, and Arkiv Digital. All have ways in which they are better than the others. Make sure that the parishes, time periods, and types of records you need are available before subscribing to any one service.

I tend to use Arkiv Digital the most because of its excellent images, but strangely, the other services sometimes have clearer images than Arkiv Digital.  

The services don't have exactly the same records.  

SVAR has some really nice records which aren't on Arkiv Digital.

Judy

(Meddelandet ändrat av Judy Olson Baouab 2012-05-31 16:41)

2012-05-31, 17:40
Svar #2

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
I suppose I should add that some people find SVAR hard to use. (They usually mention this on a message board after failing to get any use out of SVAR for their full subscription period. Why they didn't ask SVAR or people on a message board for help is beyond my understanding.)

At any rate, there are several postings about using SVAR on my blog. Look in September and December 2011. Since I wrote about the records up through 1940, another year was released, so now records go to 1941 for births, marriages, and deaths.

The best information is usually in the Swedish section of SVAR and hopefully my directions will help you.

http://researchingswedishroots.blogspot.com/

Judy

2012-05-31, 18:05
Svar #3

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Because of the colored background it also seems to waste ink on a color printer.

However, the scanning in color helps at times to distinguish the comments for one person from comments for someone else, because the inks are somewhat different.

Some printers can be set so that they don't print in color, but I don't know if all can be set that way. I had one in the past which could be set for black/white copies only.

Judy

(Meddelandet ändrat av Judy Olson Baouab 2012-05-31 18:20)

2012-05-31, 18:47
Svar #4

Utloggad Barry Hill

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Judy,

Thank you so much for all the useful input and links.  Honestly, it just confirms my feelings that since I committed to finally penetrate this brick wall that one of the best parts of the the journey has been the great people I have met along the way. Because of the people here, what once was a brick wall has become more like open flood gates of information.  

I found your comment All have ways in which they are better than the others. very helpful from someone that uses all of them.  I have already rushed over to visit your great blog

Barry
PS: I do also have Cradled in Sweden but since I have had both books only about a week I have only browsed that one.

2012-05-31, 23:20
Svar #5

Utloggad Barry Hill

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Judy,

Just one follow-up.  The Genline link above list all LDS Family History Centers(FHC)as having access to Genline.  While that was true a couple years ago they no longer have direct access to Genline only to ArkivDigital.

However, now that I said that, the FHC's do have access to Ancestry.com.  Maybe that means the have access to the same data since Ancestry.com owns Genlines.  I run a small FHC but I am not sure of how Genlines and Ancestry.com may or may not share that data.  To my knowledge parish records have never been indexed (unfortunately), so I am not sure how they could be accessed on Ancestry.

2012-06-01, 11:34
Svar #6

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
There's a special subscription to Ancestry that gives access to Genline.

Parish death records 1901-1991 (when recording was transferred to the tax authorities from the parishes) have been and are still being indexed and digitalized (Swedish Death Index 1901-2009).

Ingela

2012-06-01, 16:56
Svar #7

Utloggad Carl Wolf

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 265
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-18, 01:46
    • Visa profil
Genline records are on Ancestry in the Sweden, Church Records, 1500-1940 birth/marriage/death collection, you need to have the World subscription to access it though.

2012-06-01, 18:58
Svar #8

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
This tells how to access the scanned Swedish parish records on the world version of Ancestry.com.

http://researchingswedishroots.blogspot.com/2011/09/getting-into-swedish-content -of.html

So, since you have free access to Arkiv Digital and (probably) the version of Ancestry.com at the Family History Center which has scanned parish records, I suggest that if you want an extra subscription for your home, get SVAR.

Judy

2012-06-03, 13:07
Svar #9

Utloggad Peter Sjölund

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 425
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-09-22, 13:15
    • Visa profil
    • genealogi.sjolunds.se
I'd like to add that the main difference between SVAR and the others is that SVAR offers so much more than just church records. There are tax records all the way back to the 16th century, military enrollment records, estate inventories, maps, databases with Swedish sailors, prison records and much more. So if you aim to go beyond the church records, SVAR is a gold mine!

However, if you are focused on just the church records, I believe that Arkiv Digital is the optimum service with (in most cases) the most readable images.

Hope this helps!

Peter

2012-06-03, 16:44
Svar #10

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
I agree with Peter. However, I have made great use of the bouppteckningar (estate inventories) on Arkiv Digital. (I will need to compare the coverage of bouppteckningar on SVAR and Arkiv Digital.)

Judy

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna