ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Name Law of 18??  (läst 1243 gånger)

2011-09-05, 16:26
läst 1243 gånger

Utloggad Charles LaVine

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 216
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-11-16, 16:53
    • Visa profil
Vänner,

What year was the Name Law doing away with the patronymic system adopted.

Charles

2011-09-05, 17:36
Svar #1

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
The year was 1901. Read more about naming customs in this article written by Ingela Martenius.

http://web.comhem.se/~u31263678/genealogy/Names.pdf

But in 1901 an ordinance was issued - which in fact was only an addendum to the ordinances regarding church records - that stated the proper procedure for acquiring a family name: all “unique” names had to be approved by the authorities, who checked that you did not use someone else's name. If you did not want to use a “unique” name but instead e.g. you patronymic, you could do so without having to make any special application for it. You were however not forced to take a family name,
but society had in general changed so much that this was now becoming the
norm.

Also look at SweGGate.

http://rootsweb.ancestry.com/~swewgw/Fact/Name/facname1.htm

In 1901 the first law about surnames was passed. In effect it outlawed the earlier custom using patronymics (see below).
(1) The norm became to use the father's surname for all children regardless of the child's gender.
(2) A child born in wedlock receives the father's surname.
(3) A child born out of wedlock receives the mother's surname. The father, or a man (later) married to the mother, can allow the child to use his surname.
(4) Adopted children receive the surname of the adopting person. By court permission an adopted child may use his/her surname at birth alone or in conjunction with the surname of the adopting parent.
The legislation regarding names has been revised / extended many times after 1901, notably the major, coordinated revision in 1963.

Also from SweGGate (on the same page):

Effect of the 1901 name law:
The literal meaning of a patronymic surname is lost. Karin, daughter of Karl Svensson, would be named Karin Karlsdotter if born before 1901 but Karin Svensson if born after 1901. This is important for genealogists. It is often useful to create a patronymic surname from the father's first name or deduct the father's first name from a known patronymic surname of a child born before the end of the 19th century but almost always leads you wrong regarding children born after 1901. In the latter case you should look for a father with the same surname as the child.  

Judy

2011-09-05, 20:19
Svar #2

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
One of the main reasons I wrote the article referred to is that using patronymics was not done away with in 1901. People believe this because it had become socially desirable during the last decades of the 19th century to use a family name so many had started using family names - and most people seem unable to distinguish between a law telling you how to acquire a family name and a law saying that you must acquire a family name.

However, the general trend in Swedish society was to assume a family name. In 1917 a law was enacted to regulate childrens' surnames, and in 1921 women were forced to take the husband's name on marriage (rescinded in 1963).

But it was only in 1963 that you were forced to take a family name - before that you could if you wanted keep to your patronymic. In some parts of Sweden many did so (notably Dalarna, Skåne, Hälsingland but also elsewhere). My mother's family certainly did so (inverted snobbery).

It is quite possible to run a modern country without family names; in Iceland they're forbidden (patronymics must be used) unless you can prove it was used in your family before a certain date.

The advice given by SweGGate isn't quite accurate either: patronymics made into family names were regularly used from at least the 1860's in the cities while patronmics were regularly used right up to WW I and sometimes as late as the early 1920's in the country. Added to which you have the resistance movement who didn't want family names.
Patronymics transformed into family names are in fact known as early as the 18th century; some were even ennobled with what was originally a patronymic (von Axelson, af Robson e.g.).
There were even different surname forms used in one and the same family at the same time: my grandfather was from the first time he is noted with a surname using his father's patronymic (his father was Jeppa Nilsson, he was Nilsson) as a family name while all of the nine siblings who reached adulthood without exception used a proper patronymic (Jeppson). This is not a unique situation, many people ask me about it!
Conclusion: you cannot say that at a certain date we all used one or the other name form, they were used concurrently up to 1963.

Ingela
PS. When I was new to genealogy I was amazed at genealogists' generally mindless acceptance of 1901 as a date for a sea-change about names; as a law student I had many years earlier learned of the far more important dates 1917, 1921 and of course 1963.

2011-09-06, 19:19
Svar #3

Utloggad Christina Backman

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 833
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-04-22, 18:01
    • Visa profil
My grandson, almost eleven years old, uses a patronymic Ulfsson based on his father´s Christian name.Since both his father and his mother use patronymics based on grandfather´s and great grandfather´s names as surnames I dare say the authorities have given up!

2011-09-06, 23:07
Svar #4

Utloggad Charles LaVine

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 216
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-11-16, 16:53
    • Visa profil
Thanks Inge;a.

Charles

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna