ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Appelstam / Applestam  (läst 594 gånger)

2009-09-21, 06:59
läst 594 gånger

Utloggad Eileen Cook

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 108
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-08-01, 01:40
    • Visa profil
My grandmother was born Emelie Christina Andreasdotter Jan 23, 1877 in Abild, Halland
After she and her 2 brothers immigrated to America, they used the surname   Applestam or sometimes Appelstam.  I have often wondered where they choice that name from.  Perhaps one of the brothers was in the military in Sweden ??  The two brothers were:
Gustaf Alfrid Andersson b: Apr 29, 1871 in Abild, Halland
Carl August Andersson b: Jan 11, 1881 in Torup, Halland
Does anyone have any ideas on this name change??    
Thank you.   Eileen

2009-10-18, 10:00
Svar #1

Joakim wendin

Dear Eileen

Why people here in Sweden changed surnames was because they was journeyman or a soldier. If they was a soldier and had a surname Andersson and it was a lot of Andersson they changed to another name. If they was a soldier crofter they took the crofter holdings name.
If you want I can help you make a research about this peoples. I have 12 years of experience. Mail me if you would like to have help.  

Joakim

2009-10-18, 10:14
Svar #2

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4039
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-12, 18:31
    • Visa profil
Eileen, as they were born in the late 1800s, they probably didn't change name due to their military service - at this time the conscript law had come into force and all men had to do military service (as of 1885). The first law of name changes came into force in 1901 - before then you could change your name as you pleased. Once reason couls simply be that you emigrated - and both in Sweden and the US there were already Andersons in sufficient quantities they may have thought.  

Feel free to ask further here on the forum, but a name change may be without  
any explanation.  

kind regards,
Eva

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna