ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Barun  (läst 3513 gånger)

2007-03-19, 10:56
läst 3513 gånger

M.Sjöström

regarding the so-called ätten Barun, I tried to collect a family tree from fragmented material which may partially be unreliable or missing something. Is there anywhere a credible genealogy of these published or otherwise available?

In first years of 14th century, or already in the very end of 13th, there were apparently two Torkels, at least I found distinguishing patronymics of each:
- riddare Torkel Andersson, escutcheon: boat
- riddare?? Torkel Erengislason, nicknamed Djäkn
and both of these, or at least members of their issue, showed boat-depicted escutcheon, and have been mentioned with nickname Barun
(what means that word Barun? etymology?)

Torkel Andersson Barun (died after 1335?, flourished 1311-21? or did he flourish 1299-1325?)
riddare, councillor of ?Sweden
his escutcheon seems to have been boat
He married a lady (whose first name is not known) of the Hama family (likely born around or some years before 1290, being daughter of Elin Kristinasdotter whose marriage was dispensed in 1284)
They seem to have had an unnamed daughter who is known to have married a member of the Eka family, ?becoming ancestress of Cecilia Månsdotter of Eka

Whereas Torkel Andersson was not father of any of the floating Gunhild Torkilsdotters, of whom I suspect that there actually existed only one such Gunhild but her parentage is assigned to different Torkels of the Barun as it possibly is not straightforwardly clear from sources

Was this Torkel Andersson actually called Barun? or has it been just a confusion between different Torkels?

Torkel Erengislason, was he called Djäkn? or Barun? or both?
riddare?, flourished 1299-1325 ??or when??
(are the different patronymics just some scribal error? or were these Erengislason and Andersson different, attested persons? and if they were not the same person, how, if at all, were they related? why both have been dubbed genealogically Baruns?)

the recurrence of the name Erengisle indicates that the following person was son of the mentioned Torkil Erengislason, and not of Andersson, but does anyone know this for a fact (or was he rather son of Torkel Andersson?):

Erengisle Torkilsson (was he called Barun?), flourished 1329-1340 ??, escutcheon was: boat?
1329 mentioned
married apparently twice ?
first wife: Kristina Röriksdotter of Strand, of the family of the Balk, was sister of wife of a Tord Bonde, and both ladies were descended from earl Folke.
second wife: Katrine Pedersdatter Porse (was the surname Porse in use in those days? was Porse attestedly used of her?), sister of the famed duke Knud Porse and daughter of Estrid of Helgamo. (Katrine Pedersdatter seems to have been Erengisle's wife and GRANDmother of Gunhild Torkildsdotter; and was NOT mother of Gunhild - if she were mother of Gunhild, that in turn would mean she would have been Torkil Barun's wife, which she apparently was not, but Torkil's mother; and that there existed NO Gunhild Erengisladotter Barun, at least no prominent one.)
Katrine Pedersdatter, widow, married (c 1342? does anyone know a factual attestation of the year) riddare Laurens Magnusson [Leopard], one of sons of second marriage of Magnus Marinason. Laurens Magnusson died on 30 March 1374 (is there an attestation of the date somewhere?), and was Lord of Berg in Älgå (the couple's probable (though totally unattested in contemporary sources) son Magnus Laurensson got son Jens Mogensen, Jöns Magnusson, who became lord of Tun (in Vermelandia? or in Westrogothia?) who died after 1345, married Gesa Nilsdotter, heiress of Kungslena; and Jens & Gesa became parents of NN Jensdatter of Tun, who married a Knut, tre rosor, as his first wife, becoming mother of Märta, heiress of Tun? and Kungslena, an ancestress of the Posse)
What happended further to the property of Tun?  and to that of Kungslena?

Erengisle Torkilsson's first marriage seems to have produced:
Ingrid Erengisladotter [Barun?], mentioned 1359, married squire Magnus Ingevaldsson, owner of Sundboholm [Hammersta family], becoming ancestress of at least a bunch of Northern Pikes (= gädda)

Erengisle Torkilsson's second marriage, with Katrine Pedersdatter [Porse], seems to have produced two sons:
- Torkild Barun
- riddare Knud April

Knud Erengislason, nicknamed April (apparently not called Barun; and Körning in somewhere appears to be just a confusion with his wife's ?next husband, a Kyrning), flourished 1374-84 ??, riddare, and was younger son.  His wife seems to have been Bengta Mattsdotter [stjärna] (somewhere mistakenly sparre) who married Peder Kyrning -and was the Simon Kyrning, m Beate Bydelsbak, this couple's son?  anyway, Bengta Mattsdotter's sister seems to have been named Sestrid Mattsdotter.
Knud April and Bengta seem to have had daughter, variably called Estrid or Sestrid Knudsdatter. Estrid would come from Estrid of Helgamo, father's maternal grandmother, and Sestrid would be namesake of th girl's maternal aunt. I cannot solve which would be more correct. Possibly they used both, depending on situation. Anyway, Estrid/ Sestrid married a guy of the elder Stenbock lineage, and did she become ancestress of all later Stenbocks?

Torkild Barun, elder son of second marriage of Erengisle;= Torkel Erengislason nicknamed Barun. Owner of Skofteby and Hjelmsäter??. was his escutcheon a boat ? did he flourish 1356-81?  governor of Varberg castle 1363-65? in service of Albert of Mecklenburg, or king Magnus IV, or the Danish, or who?
(His wife I was not able to find. However, Katrine of the Porse was not his wife, she was his mother.)

I did not find any other children of this Torkild than a daughter, Gunhild Torkilsdotter (Barun? was that name used of her?)
Did Torkil have other children? any sons?
It seems, despite all sorts of confusions, that there existed only one prominent Gunhild [Barun], and that she was this Torkil's daughter and married lagman Tyke in Vermelandia. Were there other Gunhild Baruns?

Gunhild Torkildsdotter [Barun], heiress of Hjelmsäter and ?Hellekis? and ?Bosgården?
married Tyke Eskildson [bladsparre], Tyke (Tuke, Toke?), lord of Välinge, justiciar (=lagman) of Vermelandia, flourished 1379-1397

What has been the mechanism how Hjelmsäter passed from Gunhild's family to the Roos family (so-named branch of Hjelmsäter)?
the transfer apparently took place sometime in 15th century. But through what? inheritance?

Does anyone have corrections and/or attestations, affirmations etc, about points given above?
Knowledge to answer to question marks?

2007-04-24, 22:45
Svar #1

Torleif Ericson

Jag kan svara på vissa av dessa frågor, men de är väldigt många. Jag vet inte vad du baserar dem på.  För att undvika onödigt dubbelarbeta ber jag dig precisera var du har dina uppgifter från.  Tydligen kommer en hel del från danska källor.
Tack

2007-04-27, 12:00
Svar #2

M.Sjöström

Well, material has been fragmented, as I said in the beginning. I have not (yet at least) found any credible full Barun genealogy in any respectable source.
Parts of the above draft of family tree are from internet genealogies, floating around, which do not mention their sources. Parts are from literature, mostly from the four booklets of ÄSF.

Of the two Torkels, the riddare Torkel Andersson, escutcheon: boat, was mentioned in ÄSF entry about the Gren; and in the ÄSF entry about the Ama.

Erengisle Torkilsson, son of the possibly other Torkel (or the same Torkel?), is mentioned in the ÄSF entry about the Balk of Strand, in the ÄSF entry about the Hammersta ätt, and in ÄSF entry about the Leopard (Magnus Marinasons).

Katrine Pedersdatter Porse is mentioned in the ÄSF entry about the Leopard.

Märta of Kungslena and Tun is mentioned in the Elgenstierna entry about Posse and in the ÄSF entry about Tre Rosor.

The brothers Torkild Barun and Knud April are briefly mentioned, as stepsons, in the ÄSF entry about the Leopard.

Torkild Barun is also mentioned as father-in-law in SBL article about the Eskilssönernas ätt. Where also his daughter Gunilla is mentioned.

riddare Knud April is mentioned as father-in-law in the ÄSF article about the Srenbock. Where his daughter Estrid/Sestrid is reported.

That's about the scope of credible sources I have thus far found to check the draft genealogy above. All other questions would be nice to get answered at some stage of the future.

2007-04-28, 23:24
Svar #3

Torleif Ericsont

Det är en god id? att söka på Dip;omatariets Huvudkartotek http://62.20.57.212 där du får en del svar baserade på samtida diplom.

Andra svar:
Torkel Andersson och Torkel Erengislason Djäkn är 2 personer som är nära släkt, men släktskapets exakta natur är så vitt jag vet inte helt säkerställt.
De förekommer samtidigt i DS 1783 12/3 1311 och då är Torkil Andersson måg till Holmger Ulfsson (Ama). (Torkil har en bror Erengisle Andersson känd 1318-35.)
Vid detta tillfälle för Torkil Andersson en delad sköld rutad i övre delen.  Senare för han liksom Torkil Djäkn båten liksom Sigmund Erengislason som också beseglar. Släktskapet styrks av den senare vapenidentiteten, dopnamnen Torkil och Erengisle samt beseglingar.  
En kvalificerad gissning av mig är att Torkil Erengislason liksom Sigmund Erengislason är morbröder till Torkil Andersson.

Barun används synbarligen först av Torkil Erengislasons sonson och namne som omväxlande kallar sig Torkil Barun, Torkil Erengislason och Torkil Erengislason kallad Barun; se DS 7192, DS 8682, DS 8734 och 13770728. Tillnamnet Barun dyker upp igen hos dennes dotters sonson Nils (Torkilsson) Barun. Om du besöker t ex SMPs arkiv i Uppsala finns det där lådor med systematiska belägg för tillnamn som excerpter och där kan du få alla belägg i diplom. Men det kanske inte är så lätt att göra.

Den senare fick Hjälmsäter i ett arvskifte  24/8 1478 som återges i VGFT som brev nr 50.  
Enligt en anteckning i den Sundbergska samlingen (inte tillgänglig för mig) skulle ett domstolsutslag 1472 i en tvist mellan kronan och Jöns Knutsson (tre rosor) ha tilldömt Jöns Bosgården, Hällekis m fl (sannolikt inte Hjälmsäter) som tillhört Gunhild Torkilsdotter och hennes far. Jag har noterat att källan sannolikt är baserad på reduktionshandlingar, men jag vet inte var det kommer från.

2007-04-28, 23:56
Svar #4

M.Sjöström

I think I have heard of that late-15th-C court proceeding of Hjälmsäter.
Was the story approximately the following: The estates originally belonged to Gunhild Torkilsdotter (Barun), a heiress, wife of lord of Välinge and daughter of that first Torkil called Barun. However the estates became controlled and farmed by Margaret the union queen, in last decade of 14th-C or so. And queen's successors did not relinquish the control. In that late 15th-C judicial proceeding, it was found that the queen actually was arrendatör of those estates, their ownership having remained as possession of Gunhild and her heirs. After almost a hundred years, there were several real branches of Gunhild's heirs extant, including the Barun of that day and the Välinge and Tre Rosor and whatnot, and they divided the estates between themselves when they won them back from the crown through that judicial proceeding.
(this is written without my any notes, not available at the moment to me.)

This all, however, leaves the question how Gunhild Torkilsdotter, who lived at the time of queen Margaret, had become owner of Hjälmsäter, Hällekis, and so forth. Through whom she inherited each of those?

2007-05-02, 12:16
Svar #5

M.Sjöström

One of the questions: is also whether there is any genealogical lineage between the families to which Hjelmsäter belonged in last decades of 15th century. What has been the mechanism how Hjelmsäter passed from the Barun to the Roos family (so-named branch of Hjelmsäter)?  If inheritance, there must be a genealogical connection. Even in case of outright sale, sometimes genealogy is involved as relatives had right to intervene.

Roos af Hjelmsäter: Knut Knutsson, who was yet living in 1496, seems to have been attested as owner of Hjelmsäter.

On the other hand, Niels Torkilson Barun, who had got them in division of inheritance in 1478, sold to his brother-in-law Johan Kyle in 1489 two manors in Hjelmsäter. (Presumably, if there existed more than two manors, such remained with Barun)

Assuming that those properties are not totally different, there must be some way how either Johan Kyle or the Barun had ceded lands in Hjelmsäter to Knut Knutsson [of the Roos]. Any evidence or literature about that?

2007-05-09, 23:24
Svar #6

Torleif Ericson

Några synpunkter:

Dombrevet av 1472 skall sättas i samband med ett brev av 28 juli 1381 då drottning Margareta ger Nils (Jönsson) Svarte Skåning  alla Magnus Porses och Torkel Baruns (Magnus Porse var hans kusinbarn) gods i Fjärås i Halland.  Hon har tydligen konfiskerat dem men lovar kompensation om de återvänder i hennes tjänst.
Detta gör det troligt att dessa Hallandsgods var Porsegods. Det är obekant om de fått kompensation fast dombrevet tyder på att så kan ha varit fallet. Vilka gårdar de fått i stället är inte belagt.

Lage Gustavsson till Tommarp (gm Botilda, dotter till Abraham Broderssons styvson Bengt (Ebbeson) Pik) innehar enligt Styffe (Skandinavien under Unionstiden) i mitten på 1400-talet Hällekis, men Styffe uppger inte källan och jag har inte kunnat finna den. Det är lite egendomligt att han innehar en gård så långt från Skåne.

En ganska okänd Björn Bengtsson (sparre) skrev sig till Hällekis redan 1469 före domstolsutslaget, men  därefter tycks han ha en annan sätesgård på trakten.  

I skiftet 1478 syns Björn Bengtsson representera arvslinjen efter Gunhild Torkelsdotters son Jöns Tukesson, som annars inte har någon representant vid skiftet.  

Senare är Hällekis sätesgård för Axel Matsson (Vinstorpavapnet) som skrev sig till Hällekis.  Det tillhörde tydligen hans hustru Brita Eriksdotter (liljesparre) i hennes andra gifte som ingicks 1493.  Hennes mor var Elin Jönsdotter (sparre över blad) som var Jöns Tukasons dotter och Nils Baruns kusin. Brita  var tidigare gift med Nils Baruns 'svåger' Johan Kyle. När Nils Barun säljer två gårdar Hjälmsäter 14890907 till Johan Kyle representerar denne sannolikt som målsman  hustrun och det är hon och inte Johan Kyle som blir ägarinna.  Det är en normal situation då arvegods normalt inte lämnar släkten.

Axel Matssons och Brita Eriksdotters dotter Anna gifte sig med Gustav Knutsson, son till Knut Knutsson (Roos av Hjälmsäter). Därmed kom sannolikt dessa  två gårdar i Hjälmsäter till denna ätt.  Elgenstierna uppger att redan fadern Knut Knutsson ägde Hjälmsäter.  Jag har inte kunnat kontrollera källans riktighet. Det kan vara en förväxling med sonhustruns innehav.  

Övergången av Hällekis från Björn Bengtsson till Brita Eriksdotter är inte helt klar. Gården återfinns inte hos Björn Bengtssons barn, vilket tyder på att han representerar någon som barnen inte ärver. Sannolikt är Björn 1478 målsman för sin hustru i ett barnlöst äktenskap (hans 2a hutru Märta? av okänd känd 1473), kanske en syster till Brita. Denna hustru skulle då ha ärvts av Brita.

2007-05-10, 10:35
Svar #7

Kalle Thorsberg

Björn Bengtsson (halvt djur)väpnare och hh Vadsbo, skriver sig till Hällekis 1463-1483, och har så vitt jag vet inte haft någon annan sätesgård (jfr SMP - Biorn (som saknar belägget från 1483-03-15 (RepD II nr 5188)), LagS1, s 243 o 2, s 26 och Styffe, s 158.)
Om (sparre) enl ovan inte bara är ett skrivfel, skulle jag tippa på en samanblandning med BB i Slättö har skett.

2007-05-10, 13:26
Svar #8

Torleif Ericson

Det är mycket riktigt hh i Vadsbo och i mina anteckningar står det också halvt djur.  Tydligen gick något snett, men det ändrar inte helhetsbilden.

2007-05-12, 14:05
Svar #9

M.Sjöström

I had actually written about Välinge family under the topic Välingeätten (or was it Äldre Välingeätten). In my notes, Gunhild Torkilsdotter of Bosgaarden, Hjelmsäter and Hellekis had presumably at least daughter Kristina Tykesdotter (ancestress of the Posse) and three surviving sons: Torkild Barun the Younger, Jöns Tykason [bladsparre] and Nils Tykason of Välinge. Some other daughter may have been a nun, but apparently no issue of such existed, or at least did not survive to 1470s.
Torleif is correct that each of those four branches from Gunhild would have rights to her inheritance, and there should be representative of each branch obtaining some share.
Of course, quite often a branch arranged internally things in a way that a stake in a dispute was divided to one of heirs and not necessarily all. But such deals took place also between branches. It is possible that Jöns Tykason's branch had sold their rights to some other branch.

Jöns Knutsson of Falun, who apparently on behalf of his wife's family won the claim to Bosgaarden and Hellekis, obviously represented the branch of Nils Tykason of Välinge, being husband of Ingerid Eiriksdatter of Välinge, Nils' maternal granddaughter. If Hellekis then passed to heirs of Nils' brother Jöns Tykason, it means that the won properties were divided between Gunhild's heirs.

In case Hjelmseter in Westrogothia was not one of those properties won in 1470s, but a property held by the heirs the whole time, in that case it had obviously been one of combined properties of the couple Gunhild Torkilsdotter and Tyke Eskildson, divided between their children.
It had belonged to the portion of Torkil Barun the Younger, passed to his sin Nils Barun, who sold it to a kinswoman of another branch.

Välinge in Vermelandia obviously belonged to the portion of Nils Tykason.

The Posse book (from 1950) lists that Kristina's Posse descendants got some inheritance from Tyke and Gunhild. Presumably a half-portion, as was a daughter's share.

What then was Jöns Tykason [bladsparre]'s portion in that original division, immediately after death of Gunhild and Tyke....

Björn Bengtsson [halvdjur] seems to be a genealogically enigmatic figure in other literature too. In 1950 Posse book, he is speculated to at least two alternative genealogical positions.
It seems to be rather certain that his probable marriage with a heiress of this family did not produce surviving issue.
That he were a son-in-law of Jöns Tykason, or a son-in-law of Jöns Tykason's daughter Elin Jönsdotter, is one of possibilities, perhaps the likeliest of them.
At least the inheritance of Hellekis supports Björn's position in Jöns Tykason's branch.

Axel Matson [liljebalk] and his wife Brita Eriksdotter [liljesparre] (widow of Johan Kyle) certainly left Hellekis to their daughter Anna Axelsdotter who was second wife of Axel Nilsson of the Posse and became ancestress of all the later Posse.
The other daughter was Elin Axelsdotter (married as second wife with Gustav Knutson of the Roos), whose lineage seems not to have survived. Hjelmseter was presumably her share of parental inheritances. In order toit to pass to Erik Ggustavsson (as is attested), son of third wife of Gustav Knutsson, there must be something else than just a marriage. Husband did not inherit wife, instead Elin Axelsdotter's inheritance would have passed to her sister Anna and her issue the Posse, had Elin been childless. Therefore, there presumably was at least one child of Gustav and Elin who survived mother, inherited Hjelmseter, and when dying afterwards, was inherited by the father. This would have been the simplest genealogical mechanism how the Roos received Hjelmseter.
I agree that highly probably, Knut Knutsson then was not at all owner of Hjelmseter.

Lage Gustavsson of Tommarp in Skåne (married with Bodil Bentsdatter Pik), whose paternal family was attestedly from Sweden (the stjerna of Ostrogothia, and/or Vermelandia/Dalsland/Westrogothia), seems to have had ancestry:

2 Gustav Mattsson [stjerna]
3 Gertrud Lavesdatter, Heiress of Tomarp

4 ?Matts Gjurdson
5 wife of Matts
6 Lave Pedersen [galen] of Tomarp
7 wife of Lave

12 Peder Torbensen [galen], grandson of Jon Litle de Scania
13 Gyde Lavesdatter

There have been at least some confusion (and possibly some kinship) between Gustav Mattsson [stjerna] and riddare Matts Gustavsson, killer of bishop Gotskalk Falkdal. Onomastics suggest that the name Gustav in the stjerna family may have some origin from killer Matts Gustavsson's father and family. On the other hand, bishop-killer Matts is said to have left only daughters, and at least Hans Brask's släktbok seems to give them no connection to this stjerna family.
However, the bishop-killer Matts is somewhere mentioned as owner of Hellekis. Now, if Lage Gustavsson is also so attested, there may be either a purchase of Hellekis between those two lineages, or an inheritance (would Gustav Mattsson possibly be a maternal nephew or so of the killer Matts?); or both, i.e a purchase between kinsmen. Killer Matts had to cede many of his and the family's properties, to obtain money. Members of his extended family had some udal right privilege to ransom such properties.
Perhaps succession in the ownership of Hellekis would reveal new knowledge about the wife or ancestors of Matts Gjurdson.

However, how had Gunhild Torkilsdotter in late 14thC obtained Hellekis, if it belonged to killer Matts Gustavsson, and devolved inside that family to Lage Gustavsson in mid-15thC?

Is it at all true that killer Matts held Hellekis?

2007-05-12, 21:36
Svar #10

Utloggad Jan Söderström

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 96
  • Senast inloggad: 2020-08-28, 13:38
    • Visa profil
    • jaso.se
This discussion and all other forums discussions from M Sjöström about middleages ( in English ) should lie under Discussions in English middleages.

2007-05-12, 22:59
Svar #11

Utloggad Jan Söderström

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 96
  • Senast inloggad: 2020-08-28, 13:38
    • Visa profil
    • jaso.se
Swedish history - middle ages

2013-03-25, 19:11
Svar #12

Utloggad Ralf Palmgren

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 953
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-14, 16:40
    • Visa profil
I am a direct descendant from Gunhild Torkelsdotter (Barun). She was married to Tyke Eskilsson (Eskilssönernas ätt). They are both mentioned above in this thread. It seems that there does not exist any complete published genealogical research about the Medieval Barun family. Why might this be the case? Did they belong to the lower nobility? I am gratefull that you, M. Sjöström, have compiled your information and shared it with us here on this forum. Thank you!  

(Meddelandet ändrat av Ralf 2013-03-25 23:46)

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna