ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Jansson Haglund, Jan *1832 Östmark utv fr Ekshärad Emigr 1865 - Port of dep ?  (läst 1156 gånger)

2010-10-09, 02:35
läst 1156 gånger

Utloggad Allen Hoaglund

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 9
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-10-10, 04:48
    • Visa profil
Happy Day,

Trying to locate ports of departure and entry for my ancestor Jan Jansson Haglund from Ekshärad parish, Värmland Sweden and any other information on the Embias CD,

Tack så mycket

Allen S. Hoaglund
Ohio, USA

Moving out records are as follows:

GID:  477.15.67100  Värmland Ekshärad, B:2, Moving in Moving out, 1844-1872, Image 53 of 81

Date of moving recorded     and                  Moved From

1 Jan 1865                      Nore Jangshöjden, Ekshärad, Värmland, Sweden

Name                           Birth date                       Birth Place

Jan Jansson Haglund                22 May   1832       Alghalla, Östmark, Värmland,              Husband
    Annika Larsdotter                  26 Mar   1829       Mjögsjöhögden, Hamra, Ekshärad, Värmland, Wife

Children

Anna Maja                          03 Mar   1855       Hamra, Ekshärad, Värmland      
    Kjerstin                           02 Mar   1857       Hamra, Ekshärad, Värmland  
    Jan                                04 Oct   1859       Nore, Ekshärad, Värmland
    Johanna                            19 Aug   1862       Jängshojden, Noretorp, Nore, Ekshärad, Värmland  
    Annika                             18 Sep   1864       Jängshojden, Noretorp, Nore, Ekshärad, Värmland

2010-10-09, 04:45
Svar #1

Utloggad Bo Johansson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 247
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-07-05, 11:17
    • Visa profil
Since the EMIBAS information is based on the parish records, you will most probably not find more information on the CD.

And 1865 is too early for the EMIHAMN database on the Emigranten CDs.

2010-10-09, 12:20
Svar #2

Utloggad Allen Hoaglund

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
What records may contain the port departure from Sweden or Norway and entry into the US during emigration. I have never found the family name by doing a search of records at Ancestry.com immigration. I suspect the family made their way to Chicago but by what possible route of travel? Göteberg to Quebec, Canada and travel the St Lawrence Seaway through the Great Lakes to reach Chicago? or New York port of entry then land travel to Chicago? Norway departure then to US?

How do I find the port information?

Leaving in Jan 1865, is this early enough that records have not be digitally scanned yet, but do exist somewhere?

(Meddelandet ändrat av mrhoagie 2010-10-09 12:22)

2010-10-09, 15:13
Svar #3

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Allen,

There are plenty of U.S. immigration records which are not yet online. Try using microfilm and scroll through those records.  

Swedish port records start about 1869.

Judy

2010-10-09, 15:51
Svar #4

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Swedish immigrants could not go straight from Sweden to the U.S./Canada area until 1915, when direct traffic was started.  

Before 1915 they usually went on smaller vessels to England, and from there on by rail to Liverpool, Southampton, Glasgow or some other British port, where they boarded larger steamers for their destination.

But as early as 1865 they might have gone on smaller sailing vessels directly to the U.S, but there are no Swedish records available that shows this. You will have to try the American records of incoming ships from Europe. They might also have travelled from ports like Hamburg or Bremen in Germany.

2010-10-09, 19:09
Svar #5

Utloggad Allen Hoaglund

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Judy and Elisabeth,  

I appreciate your thots here. The most likely ports of entry would be New York, Quebec and Chicago?

I need to find microfilm for these ports in the Jan to March dates then and start looking. I wonder if the Swensen Center in Rock Island, Illinois would have microfilm records like this. Or would anyone have a suggestion where to get microfilm from on an interlibrary loan? I am not sure where to start looking for microfilm immigration records.

I appreciate you help an patients with my questions.

2010-10-09, 23:27
Svar #6

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA, as it is usually known) has microfilms. Some can be seen at their regional archives and at the main NARA, but the regional archives may not have all the films.

http://www.archives.gov/locations/archival-research.html

It used to be possible to rent microfilm from NARA, but apparently they no longer do this. It is not easy to figure out what is available for purchase, however.

http://www.archives.gov/research/order/renting-microfilm.html

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~orjgs/Smith2.pdf

http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/immigration/

Manifests can be ordered from a Family History Center (FHC) also. It is probably easier to search their catalog by the name of the port to see what is available. Some popular ports (not a complete list) were New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, etc.

This is their online catalog.  

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

This shows locations of a FHC.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp

You have to go to a Family History Center to do the ordering and then return in a few weeks once the film arrives. Try to save that ordering for films not available at a NARA, because the rental fee was about $5.50 and perhaps costs more now.  

Try to find a copy of They Came in Ships, by John P. Colletta, Ph.D. It tells how to research manifests. Perhaps you can find a copy in a local library.

Long before there were any passenger lists online, I spent boring hour after boring hour after boring hour (and did this for weeks and months and years) to scroll through ship manifests. They are often exceedingly hard to read and some have the edge crumbled away (not the film; the originals) so that names don't show, or the films can be too dark or too light. (I LOVE doing genealogy and don't usually mind spending hours looking for information, so when I say it is boring to search through manifests, believe me.) I eventually realized that these early (prior to about 1900) manifests tell us basically nothing except the name of the ship and the date of arrival, etc. The genealogical information on early manifests is rather useless. The manifests tell us that the people were Swedish and were going to the U.S. (or wherever). Although it might be fun to find the manifest, there are many other far more useful things to do than search for one of these manifests. (Later manifests are very useful and worth searching for, but you want an early manifest.) However, everyone has different interests and this seems really important to you, so I hope you find your people on those lists.

Good luck!

Judy

2010-10-10, 00:55
Svar #7

Utloggad Gerry Hagberg

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 52
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-10-10, 02:07
    • Visa profil
    • ftree.nzhagberg.com
Allen,

I can't help with the emigration details, however I'm certain that our ancestors were acquainted with each other.
During their time at Jangshöjden, my 2nd grt-grt uncle (farmors farmors bror) Nils Nilsson Liljemark and family were also there. My grt grandfather (farfars far)Per Jansson and family moved in to Jangshöjden in 1866 - likely taking over Jan Haglund's position.

Annika's mother, Anna Larsdotter (born 1804 at Knappåsen) was sister of Olof Larsson (1795) who married my 2nd grt-grt aunt (farfars farmors syster) Ingeborg Jönsdotter from Kråkåsen.

2010-10-10, 03:44
Svar #8

Utloggad Allen Hoaglund

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Gerry,

I'm glad you found my questions and are able to make a connection. Beyond, (further back) Jan Jansson Haglund and wife Annika Larsdotter all I know are names and dates.  

A sister of Jan Jansson Haglund, Mary (Maria) Jansdotter [5 Feb 1829 to 3 Mar 1905 wife of Lars Johan Jonasson] emigrated with 3 children as a widow in 1878 to the Kiron, Iowa area.

A sister,Anna (Larsdotter)Lindberg, [16 Jan 1837 to 9 May 1911, wife of Charles Lindberg] emigrated to Kiron, Iowa in 1869 with 2 children. A brother, Carl Carlberg aka Charles, [29 Jun 1832 to 27 Apr 1908] emigrated to Galva, Iowa in 1889 with about 5 children.

These siblings all lived in the same general area and we have drifted apart over the generations, but I made efforts to meet as many as I could in the early 1980's when I started researching and a few I still know well today.

In the mid to late 1980's I made a connection with family of a half brother of Jan Jansson Haglund, Olof Göransson. We only exchange a couple of letters and drifted apart. There seemed to be no interest in making a relationship on their part so I dropped correspondence. The father only spoke and wrote Swedish and needed one of the children to write for him to me in English

(Meddelandet ändrat av mrhoagie 2010-10-10 04:47)

(Meddelandet ändrat av mrhoagie 2010-10-10 04:48)

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna